Trepang 2 (F.E.A.R spiritual successor) appears to have delivered

God damn, this makes me miss the mid-2000s FPS era. Great campaigns that can only be appreciated with kb+m. I remember trying F.E.A.R. on the 360 (after beating it like 5 times on PC). It felt so sluggish, almost game-breaking. 

• Like 1

Looks amazing! I've been eyeing a cheap 3060 and Amazon has it on sale... might pull the trigger just for this. Wish they had a PS5 port in line, but I don't think I can wait.

Edit: Loved the F.E.A.R. games.

Edited by lynux3

This game is kind of nuts. The pacing is weird but in a fun way. The 2nd level starts off relatively calm and then by the end it turns into a crazy over the top climatic final level you’d normally see at the end of a game :ben: but im not sure how I feel about the ‘horror’ elements. Compared to FEAR that stuff has actually been kind of lame so far.

14 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

It depends. How is the AI and level design?  

I don't think either the AI or level design are comparable. This game puts you in more open levels and throws waves of fodder enemies at you. Its also more fast paced, you're encouraged to sprint and slide all over the place instead of being very deliberate about how you enter rooms with enemies like in FEAR. In this game you can also soak up a lot more damage in comparison with encourages that type of fast paced play style.

If I were to describe it I would say its like FEAR but for the modern ADHD shooter crowd. While that sounds harsh the game is still quite fun.

I played on default difficulty and the AI didnt seem too impressive. Can easily walk up on people when your flashlight is off and you have a cloak. Hard to really judge from the demo and shit gets so fucking chaotic i was just blowing people to bits in slow mo with no real challenge. Its pretty fucking nuts.

Once i killed everyone your just walking around to the next part and i did end up walking in circles quite a few times because much like FEAR everything looks the damn same. Maybe that changes up in the full game idk.

The shotgun is fucking wicked tho. I tossed a grenade and blew up like 6 people , it ripped chunks off support beams and a sea of office supply confetti covered the office room. Its intense for sure. Like its amusing for sure. Sliding thru people tripping them up then blasting them in the back is enjoyable :D

This game feels like it was made when FEAR was made, and updated with this gen low budget graphics tho. Its a very PC game. Controller support is weird and it feels old when you walk over dead enemies its kinda glitchy and they ragdoll themselves all over. Its funny but its kinda jank for a new game.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I don't think either the AI or level design are comparable. This game puts you in more open levels and throws waves of fodder enemies at you. Its also more fast paced, you're encouraged to sprint and slide all over the place instead of being very deliberate about how you enter rooms with enemies like in FEAR. In this game you can also soak up a lot more damage in comparison with encourages that type of fast paced play style.

If I were to describe it I would say its like FEAR but for the modern ADHD shooter crowd. While that sounds harsh the game is still quite fun.

oh. the tight and methodical combat in F.E.A.R. made it so engaging. though, a faster approach would be interesting.

20 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

oh. the tight and methodical combat in F.E.A.R. made it so engaging. though, a faster approach would be interesting.

Its just unfortunate that even though FEAR was such a beloved classic 15 years ago pretty much nobody even tried to emulate that type of experience. I think Trepang2 is close enough that it deserves some praise, especially if you look at it from a 'ill take what I can get' type of perspective.

• Upvote 1