Final Fantasy 16- 9 @ GS (TLHBR)

33 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Maybe because it has very little to do with being a proper Final Fantasy game.

FFVII on PSOne didn't sell 13m copies in a much smaller market than today because it was a pseudo action game. This series lacks a strong gameplay identity. It does nothing for me and I have been playing the series for three decades. 

It's lost its identity for sure.. but that said, it doesn't mean this is a bad game.. just not a great FF game.  It feels like SquareEnix is going through Capcom's "RE4-RE6" phase where they try to make everything more action focused and fast paced..

Eventually they'll get to the point where people are like "yea this is no longer Final Fantasy at all" and then they'll try to go back and recapture the magic of the old titles again.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I beat Witcher 3 and BotW not because I liked them, but because I wanted to hate them from a place of completeness. I want to hate complete this game but it's just so fucking boring that I don't think

WaitC, PC's best and most consistent exclusive title

This game sucks.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's lost its identity for sure.. but that said, it doesn't mean this is a bad game.. just not a great FF game.  It feels like SquareEnix is going through Capcom's "RE4-RE6" phase where they try to make everything more action focused and fast paced..

Eventually they'll get to the point where people are like "yea this is no longer Final Fantasy at all" and then they'll try to go back and recapture the magic of the old titles again.

I dunno about that. It's been like this for so long now, I don't think that's changing anytime.

With that said, games like Octopath and Triangle Strategy proves, even though are B rate budget games, that turn based RPGs still very much as a place in the market by moving a few million copies and getting great critical reception across the board. So at least there's those lower budget games that keeps the old SE alive, at least to me. 

If SE made nothing but shit like Forspoken and main FFs I wouldn't give a fuck about them.

59 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its very much Final Fantasy. Its just light on the RPG elements

That's the most contradicting statement I ever heard in my life. 

14 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I dunno about that. It's been like this for so long now, I don't think that's changing anytime.

With that said, games like Octopath and Triangle Strategy proves, even though are B rate budget games, that turn based RPGs still very much as a place in the market by moving a few million copies and getting great critical reception across the board. So at least there's those lower budget games that keeps the old SE alive, at least to me. 

If SE made nothing but shit like Forspoken and main FFs I wouldn't give a fuck about them.

Yeah it's been a while... but I think they'll get there eventually.  People will eventually start to call out how little "RPG" is in these future games, and they'll come back down to earth eventually... but this is SE we're talking about.. so that could take a while lol

I beat Witcher 3 and BotW not because I liked them, but because I wanted to hate them from a place of completeness. I want to hate complete this game but it's just so fucking boring that I don't think I can do it. :(

• Haha 2
  • dead 2
9 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

I beat Witcher 3 and BotW not because I liked them, but because I wanted to hate them from a place of completeness. I want to hate complete this game but it's just so fucking boring that I don't think I can do it. :(

You're some kind of masochist. I drop games that I don't like within hours. :D 

I can be very close to finishing a game and if I stop enjoying it, I'll stop playing right there. I don't give a fuck about completion. 

Too many games out there to play shit you don't even like. 

Think I’m nearing the end here. Really enjoyed my time with it. Loses a bit of steam in the middle and they throw in a few too many filler quests but otherwise the moments kept one upping each other throughout. The combat is also just so satisfying. 

definitely missing some RPG staples so I can see why die hard FF fans would be displeased but at face value it’s an excellent game. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't touched this in like 3 or 4 days. Not because I hate it or anything but Im laser focused on Rain Code atm.

Its actually kind of good that its light on mechanics because it'll be easy to pick up again. Compared to something like CoH3 which I really enjoyed but I had taken a break from it for like 2 weeks and gave up on returning to it because I knew I would have to re-learn a bunch of shit.

• 4 weeks later...

Are people still playing this? I play it in half hour/1 hour batches but im really not finding it to be that engaging. I feel like it does a good job of giving you the illusion of being large in scope and big budget but its actually pretty small and you can tell they cut numerous corners to save money. For example the game at several points teases you with these massive, sprawling cities you'll visit but then you'll only see parts of them in cutscenes or be sent to a dungeon underneath some of them. The smaller towns and villages are neat but you just pass through them most of the time because there's nothing to really see or do besides a few simple side quests or visiting the same 2 vendors who sell the same useless items.

I was surprised they didn't even bother including some kind of GWENT-like minigame considering that every major RPG nowadays seems to include one. In fact im pretty puzzled how SO6 ended up having larger cities with more stuff in them as well as its own mini game.

The story is also a mixed bag. There's been exciting moments but there's also low points where you basically just run errands for outdated looking NPCs until you get to the next story moment.

Im still probably only around half way through but considering its been almost 40 days since release thats really not a good sign. FF7R hooked me enough that I finished it in less than 2 weeks.