Steam Deck sale (up to 20%)

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

:lul: Gabe feeling so threatened by the Ally he needs to slash Deck prices....

Maybe… maybe not. Honestly, I can’t see how anyone can be threatened by a Windows based handheld.

4 hours ago, Remij said:

:Jeff:

Twinkie still has a grudge against Deck even though it was the very thing that made him jump through handhepd pc after handheld pc looking for a steamdeck "killer" :yeshrug:

Deck was on sale last time before the Ally was even announced so.....

28 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Gerstmann took a big shit on the Ally in his last podcast. He said he's gonna return it cause it sucks.

It's very clear that using Windows on these devices as it stands today is a completely garbage experience..  Yes, you can make it work, but it's a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons.  Until they solve that problem as well as Valve has.. the Steam Deck is going to be superior from a user interface standpoint.

Outside of hardware issues that I'm not aware of, that's really the only negative I can think about it, because it's quite clearly the most powerful product of its kind and you can literally play anything on it.

7 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's very clear that using Windows on these devices as it stands today is a completely garbage experience..  Yes, you can make it work, but it's a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons.  Until they solve that problem as well as Valve has.. the Steam Deck is going to be superior from a user interface standpoint.

Outside of hardware issues that I'm not aware of, that's really the only negative I can think about it, because it's quite clearly the most powerful product of its kind and you can literally play anything on it.

If someone is already used to playing games on a Windows PC, then Windows is hardly much of an issue on a handheld. As i've already said in the other thread once you get everything set up to your preferences you barely even need to touch the traditional Windows UI.

The only quirks that need addressing are a few bugs here and there like what I ran into when trying to play the Front Mission demo.

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's also missing the touchpads, which is a nice feature.

But yes I dont get why people have this grudge against Steamdeck, Valve didnt just design the device they made a whole operating system to go along with it. The rest just slapped a half-assed interface on top of windows.

Its ironic the rest dont have the touchpads, just sticks...like they're going for a more console like experience, yet Steamdeck is the one which provides a more console like experience thanks to the OS. The store even differentiates between Verified and Playable, letting players know which games will feel like console games, and which wont before you even buy them.

There's so much more to all this than just the hardware but some people feel threatened......I honestly wonder if it is because of the operating system. Not sure why, Windows (unfortunately) isn't going anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

If someone is already used to playing games on a Windows PC, then Windows is hardly much of an issue on a handheld. As i've already said in the other thread once you get everything set up to your preferences you barely even need to touch the traditional Windows UI.

The only quirks that need addressing are a few bugs here and there like what I ran into when trying to play the Front Mission demo.

It's an issue not having a mouse or keyboard to navigate windows... whether you admit it or not.

12 hours ago, Remij said:

Gerstmann says more than just Windows sucking. The controls feel bad. The vent shoots hot air an alarming distance. Armory Crate is absolute garbage with low hopes that it'll improve. The battery life is dogshit. MicroSD cards get stuck in the housing. The missing trackpads make navigation suck... there's more but you get the point.

Edited by sugarhigh
16 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Gerstmann says more than just Windows sucking. The controls feel bad. The vent shoots hot air an alarming distance. Armory Crate is absolute garbage with low hopes that it'll improve. The battery life is dogshit. MicroSD cards get stuck in the housing. The missing trackpads make navigation suck... there's more but you get the point.

Funny how Gerstmann says he misses the track pads of the Steam Deck when Jerry was so adamant that they were useless and just in the way :reg: 

Valve really did think of everything on how to make the experience as seamless as possible. :glad: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Funny how Gerstmann says he misses the track pads of the Steam Deck when Jerry was so adamant that they were useless and just in the way :reg: 

Valve really did think of everything on how to make the experience as seamless as possible. :glad: 

Yeah no, they're a godsend any time a cursor is on screen. It could be for auxillary reasons like logging into BattleNet, it could be very practical like navigating the Linux desktop (way more accurately than the touch screen), or it's make or break for gameplay as in a Paradox game.

You'd like the entire experience to be 100% gamepad accessible, but it's not reality, and there's a lot of reasons they're essential.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Guy needs a career change. He's become so miserable and complains about everything. Hot air blowing at an alarming distance? The fuck does that even mean :D Literally nobody has mentioned anything like that before.

3 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Yeah no, they're a godsend any time a cursor is on screen. It could be for auxillary reasons like logging into BattleNet, it could be very practical like navigating the Linux desktop (way more accurately than the touch screen), or it's make or break for gameplay as in a Paradox game.

You'd like the entire experience to be 100% gamepad accessible, but it's not reality, and there's a lot of reasons they're essential.

Yeah, the Ally is a powerful product, but the user experience just isn't there.  The Steam Deck remains the best device of this type due to the user experience and interface.

• aitch 1
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Guy needs a career change. He's become so miserable and complains about everything. Hot air blowing at an alarming distance? The fuck does that even mean :D Literally nobody has mentioned anything like that before.

You're not wrong about Gerstmann... but I've seen plenty of complaints about the user experience and controls of the Ally.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah, the Ally is a powerful product, but the user experience just isn't there.  The Steam Deck remains the best device of this type due to the user experience and interface.

I can boot my ally and launch into any installed game within~30 seconds and not touch Windows during that process. How exactly would the Deck improve that experience?

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I can boot my ally and launch into any installed game within~30 seconds and not touch Windows during that process. How exactly would the Deck improve that experience?

The MFer doesn't have a Guide Button.

46 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I can literally suspend any game and play it within 2 seconds of pressing the power button on my Deck :|