Lenovo Go could be a good competitor to the Deck and Ally

46 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i like the concept of a bigger screen, but i still think the SD is the best built of the soon-to-be big 3.

I think the size of their screens is the achilles heel for both the Deck and Ally. The power of these systems is intended to let you play Triple A games in a portable format but the display size clashes with that. Those games are just too detailed nowadays to be comfortable on a 7 inch display.

So Lenovo has the right idea but admittedly based on my experience working with their computers and accessories, they're just not a high quality brand. I expect this device to have its own set of issues.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I think the size of their screens is the achilles heel for both the Deck and Ally. The power of these systems is intended to let you play Triple A games in a portable format but the display size clashes with that. Those games are just too detailed nowadays to be comfortable on a 7 inch display.

So Lenovo has the right idea but admittedly based on my experience working with their computers and accessories, they're just not a high quality brand. I expect this device to have its own set of issues.

No doubt. I think the SD and Ally are better suited for chill indie games, or maybe racing titles like forza horizon. As for lenovo, yeah, I’ve heard mixed things. But I also know Asus has had its share of hardware trouble over the last few years. So, who knows. 

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Nah.  You're just blind as fuck apparently.  7'' is fine.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Nah.  You're just blind as fuck apparently.  7'' is fine.

No it isn't. Look at the size of the UI and fonts in Diablo 4. This isn't remotely comfortable to look at for extended periods of time unless you're a 20 year old.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

No it isn't. Look at the size of the UI and fonts in Diablo 4. This isn't remotely comfortable to look at for extended periods of time unless you're a 20 year old.

It's fine.  And did you forget there's an actual "console" UI in that game which pushes it to one side and makes it easier to see?  How about the fact that he's got the font size on "medium" and you can adjust it to "large"?

U blind homie. :shrug: 

yeah, that would make me dizzy lol.

3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i think it's fine for certain genres.

I think it's fine for all genres.  Nobody is playing their Deck for 5 hours continuously..

Nobody complains about Diablo 3 on the Switch...

@Twinblade How do you use your phone dude? lol

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Remij said:

I think it's fine for all genres.  Nobody is playing their Deck for 5 hours continuously..

Nobody complains about Diablo 3 on the Switch...

@Twinblade How do you use your phone dude? lol

i guess it's fine in short bursts. my eyes are kind of fucked now, though (i think it's from all of the video editing i do).

• Like 1

7" or 8" is not make or break. I think the problem is going with an unattainable resolution like 2560 x 1600. You're just wasting battery on a resolution the GPU can't possibly sustain.  1080p is a stretch but > qHD is a blunder.

10 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

7" or 8" is not make or break. I think the problem is going with an unattainable resolution like 2560 x 1600. You're just wasting battery on a resolution the GPU can't possibly sustain.  1080p is a stretch but > qHD is a blunder.

o snap, i didn't realize it was 2560 x 1600. what a waste.

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

o snap, i didn't realize it was 2560 x 1600. what a waste.

yeah thats dumb. Huge waste.

Even 1080p is excessive. I tried Cyberpunk at 900p on my ally and was super impressed by how much better it ran, while looking essentially identical to 1080p output.

• Upvote 1

yeah thats dumb. Huge waste.

Even 1080p is excessive. I tried Cyberpunk at 900p on my ally and was super impressed by how much better it ran, while looking essentially identical to 1080p output.

900p seems to be the sweet spot for the ally.

• Like 1