Nintendo is cucking Sony in the niche JRPG market and visual novel market

It's a huge blow to a certain playstation demographic where they lead before

Sony doesn't even have its own jrpg franchise for Christs sake. Now FF is looking to get Xbox ports (irrelevant) but Switch 2 with it's hardware will totally est their jrpg market alive because JRPGs are s perfect fit.

Atelier used to be a PS only franchise and now it sells 10x on Switch.

FF7 making Switch launch has got to be the biggest Fuck you ever

Edited by Playstation Tablet
  • Playstation Tablet changed the title to Nintendo is cucking Sony in the niche JRPG market and visual novel market
5 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Yea, Sony is definitely sleeping when it comes to JRPGs. It seems their new push to be worldwide centric made them completely ignore their JRPG roots.

I'm not a huge JRPG guy so this doesn't affect me much but I can see how it can affect others.

I don't mind sticking to JRPGs on Switch 2 but PS5 feels like a missed opportunity.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FIREPOWER said:

Yea, Sony is definitely sleeping when it comes to JRPGs. It seems their new push to be worldwide centric made them completely ignore their JRPG roots.

I'm not a huge JRPG guy so this doesn't affect me much but I can see how it can affect others.

Sony is sleeping when it comes to Japan PERIOD.

They are too busy focusing on stupid bullshit now and only AAA western games...  They handed Japan to Nintendo on a sliver platter.

Not Sony's fault, blame SquareEnix.

FF is responsible for the continual decline in interest for JRPGs that plagued the genre for over a decade.

FF was THE JRPG series to many people and yet the series has been polarizing since X-2. X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, VIIR and XVI.... After so many entries in a row getting mixed reception FF basically killed interest in the entire genre for a period of time. Just look at the PS3/360 for proof, the JRPG offerings are scarce and limited compared to previous gens. JRPGs were considered too risky and a lot of that blame falls on FF. FF is suppose to be the best the genre has to offer, and yet the reception is nowhere near universal. If FF is getting negative feedback then interest in the genre as a whole suffers so why would you take the risk and develop a JRPG?

JRPGs were pretty much only being made with smaller budgets and smaller teams and the DS ended up being the perfect platform for that kind of development. DS was a sanctuary for the JRPG genre, without the DS, the genre wouldn't be where it is today. 

Things have only recently started to turn around for the genre last gen on consoles and its because after so many years of playing lower budget JRPGs, the interest for a big budget JRPG had grown tremendously. And what game dropped at just the right time to take advantage of all that growing interest? 

Persona 5.

Massive critical success. Universally praised. People who don't even play JRPGs couldn't help but take notice of the game. The Persona series went from a niche series to instantly becoming the new face for the JRPG genre. The success of Persona 5 put JRPGs back in the spotlight and the genre has been riding that wave ever since.

And you would be surprised to find out that FF7R really wasn't that great of a success compared to other JRPGs. It only recently hit 7 million.

To put that into perspective, Nier Automata has sold close to 9 million. Dragon Quest XI has almost sold as well as FF VIIR and that series has historically always struggled in the West. FF isn't even SE's best selling franchise anymore.... Well, not counting FF XIV because that's a MMO with a paid subscription service.

We're talking about FF VII here. The most recognized and beloved JRPG of all time and pretty much every other JRPG has been more successful. And those other games didn't even have close to the budget that FF VIIR had.

FF VIIR just isn't the massive hit it SHOULD have been because of over a decades worth of SE shitting on the series and the genre as a whole. 

Edited by Sabo

It was inevitable, the people who play those games most likely are the Nintendo market. When Nintendo consolidated their portable and home console market they basically dragged the Gameboy/DS gamers with them. 

My gf is more of a gamer than I am and she plays all of those rpg type games on the switch and none of them seem like games you'd need a 4k console to play. 

Its probably not worth the cost of developing those games for ps4 and 5 for a little return.