Dragon's Dogma 2 thread

9 hours ago, JonDnD said:

Messed around with warrior a bit, was too slow. Stopped about half way leveling up and tried thief. Im liking this. I got the holy blades and wreck shit, and im liking the skills.

Yea.. Warrior isn't for most people.  It's very slow and like I said you basically have to commit hard to every swing.

I maxed it out, and am going to switch to Archer when I get a chance to play again.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and?

finally grabbed this today. only a few hours in but so far really liking it. it's definitely rough around the edges but it's also doing a lot of interesting things and has a satisfying gameplay loop,

It's like Elden Ring all over again, Sorcerer is OP as FUCK! Use augral flare and then a fast attack either basic staff attack spam or levin spam, shit gets nuked to fucking hell. Also the ultimates l

I think thief is my favorite so far, tho i did like fighter and spearhand a lot.

Thief is insane. Im not maxed yet but im close. I have the rope skill which grabs any air enemies and all small enemies. Its hilarious pulling birds and grunts at you and have your team smash them mid air. It also trips up big enemies even dragons.

Im using one of the meister skills which drops whole health bars on ogres, minotaurs or any big enemies like that. It takes away your own health but at this point that doesnt even matter.

The air attack im using is not even fair. Ogres, minotaurs and griffins go down in like 10 seconds.

The dash slash wrecks any minor enemies. Also theif kind of has a dash, cloaking and some other cool stuff like wall jumps.

I have the holy daggers too so shit is bonkers.

I might try archer after this. Thatll probably be it. I like combat styles so i doubt i will mess with the other ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah so I'm about 20 hours into the game and I'm definitely mixed on it. I think it does some really cool stuff, mostly with the pawns.

- The recruiting of other peoples pawns as well as the benefits of having others recruit yours is well done  - the idea that pawns will know directions to a quest/general information based on their experience in other worlds is super cool and does a lot to make the world feel alive. I like that they make the second/third pawns basically disposable

- At a high level, I think they pull off the risk/reward of adventuring pretty well. You definitely have to be mindful of how far you want to push before heading home. I've got myself in a couple situations where I lost some progress but it always feels like my own fault, which is good.

- Combat is fun, I'm playing a Thief - still need to experiment with other vocations (though most people seem to think Thief is the best). You get a good moveset and the ability to mix and match passives from other vocations is nice. I like that it's low effort to switch, again they really promote it which is good

- World feels very organic, especailly how side quests are handled. Coming back to people/places a few days after you do something and getting new quests/seeing the place changed feels good

The game definitely falters in a few areas though.

-Performance wise it just sucks. There's no reason for it to be so subpar technically. It's mostly fine in the open world but the main city is atrocious. RE Engine has always been great for me so not sure what's up here, I guess it's the open world transition of it.

-Buggy. There's some mechanics that are intentionally cryptic, which is fine, but they're also (sometimes) busted. Pawns are pretty shit at following orders, as an example - pawns will say something about a tower off in the distance, or a ladder, you tell them to "go" and they either stand still or just act like a fucking retard. The way guards aggro just doesn't make sense a lot of the time - particularly frustrating on a couple quests such as when you gotta bust that dude out of jail.

-Some repetitiveness that just isn't enjoyable. I feel like I've had to go to the masquerade on three separate occasions as an example. Maybe this is my fault for the order in which I did quests.

Feels like a game that will get a lot better with an enhanced edition down the line. As much as I enjoy the positives, the most telling thing for me is I just don't feel enthused to boot it up half the time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Casual said:

As much as I enjoy the positives, the most telling thing for me is I just don't feel enthused to boot it up half the time.

Yeah this is basically where I fall with it too and I think that probably says a lot because there a plenty of games with faults that I'm still keen to jump into. It also wasn't holding my attention long when I did boot it up, felt the repetitiveness creep in after an hour or 2 of gameplay. Would always stop and put something else on. Think it sticks out even more having played it on either side of FFVII Rebirth and Dave the Diver which have both just sucked me in and are so fun to play. 

Atm I'm settling on it being a bit of a disappointment even with the cool things it's done. Feels like it already needs a sequel to truly refine it and turn it into something great but this is the sequel that was supposed to do that.