GI.biz Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth leads surge of new hits | Japan Monthly Charts

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/final-fantasy-7-rebirth-leads-surge-of-new-hits-japan-monthly-charts

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth was the biggest-selling game at Japanese retail in March, shifting 310,596 units and leading a slew of new releases that took over the Top Five in the boxed games charts.

Famitsu's latest data, shared with GamesIndustry.biz, shows that the second part of Square Enix's Final Fantasy 7 remake saw the second biggest launch month ever in terms of physical sales for a PS5 game in Japan. It was beaten only by Final Fantasy 16, which sold 336,000 units in June.

Rebirth also sold almost triple the number of copies managed by the next best-selling game of the month: Nintendo's Princess Peach: Showtime, which debuted with 105,000 copies sold after two weeks. That's more than double the 49,000 that Super Princess Peach for the Nintendo DS sold at launch 19 years ago.

spacer.png

Final Floppity Stillbirth :rofl:

Goes to show you how dead Playstation is in Japan.  The only games that sell there are Final Fantasy games.. and they are an absolute shadow of their former selves. :hest:

SquareEnix needs to just focus on Switch hardware in Japan.  DQ12 should be a massive seller since it's likely to release on Switch 2.. so at least there's that.

I mean, we're at the point where PIKMIN is vastly outselling Final Fantasy in Japan :rofls:

Diving into the numbers, Pikmin 4 managed to sell an astounding 401,853 copies within a mere week of its launch, cementing its position at the pinnacle of Famitsu's physical game sales chart for the week ending on July 23.

Edited by Remij
42 minutes ago, Remij said:

Final Floppity Stillbirth :rofl:

Goes to show you how dead Playstation is in Japan.  The only games that sell there are Final Fantasy games.. and they are an absolute shadow of their former selves. :hest:

SquareEnix needs to just focus on Switch hardware in Japan.  DQ12 should be a massive seller since it's likely to release on Switch 2.. so at least there's that.

I mean, we're at the point where PIKMIN is vastly outselling Final Fantasy in Japan :rofls:

DQ12 would sell almost a million on PS5 alone. Like DQ11.

FF has been dead like this for a while, this is nothing new.

6 minutes ago, David P said:

DQ12 would sell almost a million on PS5 alone. Like DQ11.

FF has been dead like this for a while, this is nothing new.

Yes DQ12 will be more popular in Japan.. but they're seriously limiting their potential if they don't release it on Switch 2 as well day 1.

And that's the crux of my argument about FF..  They aren't growing this series anymore.. they aren't fostering audiences on platforms like PC, Switch, and Xbox.  They're trading all that for short term financial gains by giving exclusivity to Sony.  It stunts the series ability to grow new audiences.  The Playstation audience is the ONE audience they're essentially guaranteed and don't have to grow.  It's the size it is.. it's not getting bigger..  Meanwhile other Japanese developers are embracing PC, Switch, and Xbox, alongside PS, and their game franchises are growing massively hitting record numbers.

SquareEnix need to wake the fuck up.

26 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yes DQ12 will be more popular in Japan.. but they're seriously limiting their potential if they don't release it on Switch 2 as well day 1.

And that's the crux of my argument about FF..  They aren't growing this series anymore.. they aren't fostering audiences on platforms like PC, Switch, and Xbox.  They're trading all that for short term financial gains by giving exclusivity to Sony.  It stunts the series ability to grow new audiences.  The Playstation audience is the ONE audience they're essentially guaranteed and don't have to grow.  It's the size it is.. it's not getting bigger..  Meanwhile other Japanese developers are embracing PC, Switch, and Xbox, alongside PS, and their game franchises are growing massively hitting record numbers.

SquareEnix need to wake the fuck up.

If the games were actually good RPGs they would sell bajillion copies on PS5. Not saying you are wrong, PC and even Xbox releases would help greatly. But the disappointing sales on PS also says something. 

It's just that no one cares anymore, it's not special anymore. This isn't me trolling. The games sucks.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, David P said:

If the games were actually good RPGs they would sell bajillion copies on PS5. Not saying you are wrong, PC and even Xbox releases would help greatly. But the disappointing sales on PS also says something. 

It's just that no one cares anymore, it's not special anymore. This isn't me trolling. The games sucks.

Oh, I agree that if the games were better, they'd sell more... but I think Playstation has really burnt a lot of bridges with the Japanese gamers, and by being PS only, they're severely limiting themselves.  Sony focuses too much on the West with their cinematic games.  They think it's as simple as "make it more action-y for the kids" and that THAT will guide the series into the new generations.. but they're so far off.   They're missing the tight game design and interesting scenarios that they used to have.  Their characters mostly suck these days too..

I would love for SquareEnix to step back.. get back to the basics of what made FF great, and build up again in the right way.  Make interesting characters with good arcs, RPG mechanics that makes you feel connected to them on a deeper level.  I dunno.  Hopefully they don't fuck DQ12 up. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Remij said:

Oh, I agree that if the games were better, they'd sell more... but I think Playstation has really burnt a lot of bridges with the Japanese gamers, and by being PS only, they're severely limiting themselves.  Sony focuses too much on the West with their cinematic games.  They think it's as simple as "make it more action-y for the kids" and that THAT will guide the series into the new generations.. but they're so far off.   They're missing the tight game design and interesting scenarios that they used to have.  Their characters mostly suck these days too..

I would love for SquareEnix to step back.. get back to the basics of what made FF great, and build up again in the right way.  Make interesting characters with good arcs, RPG mechanics that makes you feel connected to them on a deeper level.  I dunno.  Hopefully they don't fuck DQ12 up. 

DQXII is already better just for being classic turn based.