Whats a good and inexpensive general use laptop nowadays?

Would like to get my mom a new laptop for mother's day. I haven't kept up with them recently but ideally i'd want something light & foldable (maybe even with a detachable touchscreen). I was looking at Surfaces but those are still unreasonably expensive. Im not looking to spend more than $800.

I'd get her a tablet unless she has specific need of a laptop. My mom ditched her computer when I got her a tablet some years back. I had to be tech support for her but guess that's part of life.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I'd get her a tablet unless she has specific need of a laptop. My mom ditched her computer when I got her a tablet some years back. I had to be tech support for her but guess that's part of life.

This. My mom loves her iPad.

• Upvote 1

Funnily enough my mom has more trouble with her phone than her current old windows laptop. So im not sure another iOS device would have been a good fit. 

I ended up going with the Envy. The price was a big part of that but i'd also like something that I can occasionally use to hook up to the living room TV for family gatherings. To do stuff like stream music and play web games like Geo Guesser.