Wccftech: ​ The Nintendo Switch 2 could be more or less on par with the Steam Deck, but software limitations could impact the system's performance heavily

:mjgrin: What does SW think? Personally, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm expecting more power from them. Slightly weaker than a Steam Deck isn't my idea of a next gen handheld since I already look at the Steam Deck as very underpowered. I was hoping to pick one up at launch but if Nintendo is planning more Potato hardware I'll probably hold out again. The lack of power in the original Switch is what scared me away and made me wait for a Switch 2. I'm not gonna be happy if we are getting more weak hardware with the next Switch. I hope this rumor is false.

Edited by FIREPOWER

Imagine getting a new gaming console in 2024 that cant even match SteamDick at 400 dollars :rofls: Nintonto :pacspit:

Nintendo knows how to squeeze the most out of limited power. I’m not worried. Besides, I’m not as into Ninty franchises as I used to be. I never even completed Mario Wonder. 

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

"software limitations"?  Like what? 

It's just all bullshit.  All indications point into Switch two games running and looking better than Steamshit and Series Shit. 

Well, like I said before, there'll be advantages and disadvantages

+Games designed/optimized for the specific hardware

+Better APIs and dev tools for the hardware

+ARM cpu is more power efficient

+DLSS works better at lower resolutions than FSR

+Potential for "Docked modes or Portable modes" in games

+Decompression units

-Higher expectations for battery life means more conservative power limits

-Mass market price considerations means hardware may have some concessions with bandwidths.

-Storage limits could potentially result in games with compromised visuals

I think the hardware in combination with DLSS will give the Switch 2 an easy advantage over the Steam Deck in image quality while being very performant.  If you look at Steam Deck vs ROG Ally, at 15w the Deck at 720p is extremely close to the Ally at 1080p.  It's not until the Ally starts pushing extremely high wattage that it pulls far ahead, and it has a much more powerful SOC.  So I think the Switch 2 will be close to the Steam Deck in actual hardware performance, but things like DLSS and being better optimized will push it ahead noticeably.

Edited by Remij

DLSS and fixed hardware optimizations will bring the weaker switch 2 hardware up to the Deck experienced but not past it.

Another factor is overall size. Nintendo is not going to put out a handheld the size of the Deck. It's gonna be about the size of OG Switch. Even 2.5 years later, none of the PC handhelds are nearly that compact.