Romancing SaGa 2: Revenge of the Seven - TGS Trailer 2024

On 2024-09-18 at 11:44 PM, Sabo said:

Octopath borrows quite a bit from the SaGa series so if you liked those games then you might like this.

If Octopath had a shitty combat systems with random shit that can't be explained, then you'd be right.

SaGa games are the worst JRPG franchise to ever come out of Squaresoft. Every game in the franchise is broken and needlessly challenging. There's something compelling about them, like their non linear approach and sense of freedom compared to other JRPGs but they are fundamentally a frustrating experience every time.

Granted this remake changes a lot of things, you can actually see if you can unlock new skills or not and the difficulty has been balanced. Little things that will make these games more manageable. 

The original Romancing SaGa 2 is garbage and while I'm not the biggest fan of Octopath, I think that's just insulting to compare the two. If Octopath is a solid 8/10 game then the original SaGa 2 is a 5/10 game at best. 

5 hours ago, David P said:

If Octopath had a shitty combat systems with random shit that can't be explained, then you'd be right.

SaGa games are the worst JRPG franchise to ever come out of Squaresoft. Every game in the franchise is broken and needlessly challenging. There's something compelling about them, like their non linear approach and sense of freedom compared to other JRPGs but they are fundamentally a frustrating experience every time.

Granted this remake changes a lot of things, you can actually see if you can unlock new skills or not and the difficulty has been balanced. Little things that will make these games more manageable. 

The original Romancing SaGa 2 is garbage and while I'm not the biggest fan of Octopath, I think that's just insulting to compare the two. If Octopath is a solid 8/10 game then the original SaGa 2 is a 5/10 game at best. 

Mainly referring to SaGa Frontier. Octopath does borrow from it. I'm not even the first person to point this out, Octopath and SaGa Frontier being similar in a lot of ways is a pretty common sentiment you'll see often in discussions around the games.

So you're just wrong on this one.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Sabo said:

Mainly referring to SaGa Frontier. Octopath does borrow from it. I'm not even the first person to point this out, Octopath and SaGa Frontier being similar in a lot of ways is a pretty common sentiment you'll see often in discussions around the games.

So you're just wrong on this one.

First I thought you were talking about SaGa 2, you know, the SaGa game that is the thread topic.

Yeah, SaGa Frontier let's you choose the protagonist you start with so duh. 

Still a huge gap in quality, which is my point.