God of War is the best game of this generation.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this, I always hated the GoW series but this one is a different beast altogether. It's more Legend of Zelda than a pure action game and the puzzles, level design, traversal

Lol some of you guys take gaming way too seriously. It’s subjective. Just agree to disagree. While I think GoW is the “better game”, I enjoyed  Detroit a lot more - and it’s a 7.0 flop. I also couldn’

32 minutes ago, Truno2018 said:

This game must, in fact, suck if David likes it. :tom5:

Yeah, everything I ever liked is absolute garbage. :ccruise:

Bayonetta 2 is the worst action game ever made. GoW is the worst game of the year. Bloodborne is the worst PS4 exclusive. Etc, etc. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Yeah, i'mma say no on the level design based solely on the sheer number of memorable locales in BotW, plus the fact that you can get to those locals from literally any direction due to the traversal mechanics.

What memorable locales? There are a couple of towns but It’s most empty fields with the same repetitive hoardes of enemies. Being open world and increasing traversal mechanics does not make it have better level design just like MGS5havibg more traversal options in an open world doesn’t give it better level design than its predecessors

5 minutes ago, Voidler said:

What memorable locales? There are a couple of towns but It’s most empty fields with the same repetitive hoardes of enemies. Being open world and increasing traversal mechanics does not make it have better level design just like MGS5havibg more traversal options in an open world doesn’t give it better level design than its predecessors

Are...are you serious, or...?:| 

2 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I haven’t finished it but been playing it for that last two weeks, still waiting to see whats GOAT about it

Some people just don't get it, mang.  Ain't the end of the world.

7 hours ago, Ramza said:

So many ignorant worthless fucks on this forum. Goddamn. :mj: Nevermind the fact that everyone who played it think it's a masterpiece, we are all wrong and being fanboys I suppose.

You guys are right of course, GoW is teh overrated PS excloosif! I'm going back to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider! :D 

Their casual asses just don't have PS4s lol.

1 hour ago, Voidler said:

Get what though? It’s a well constructed open world definitely, but I’m getting to a point where it is feeling very samey

Have you played GoW? Which game would you say has better level design and world?

27 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Have you played GoW? Which game would you say has better level design and world?

I liked GOW more so far but they are attempting different things. If level design is split into small scale (eg Portal), middle size (eg Arkham Asylum) and large scale (eg GTA) then there are very different things that make it good. God of War does the small and middle size well while Zelda does the large scale very well

Zelda has a huge open world that you can scale anything in. So if you see something of interest it’s  probably five minutes away and you might ride, climb and fly over to it. 

God of War limits your movements and is smaller in scale. But it rewards that limitation by making you figure out how to do things within your capabilities - like a classic Zelda. Eg if I see something interesting on top of a cliff I might have to explore and find the secret entrance behind a river that gets me to it rather than just climbing up. It does this really well

Both work by filling their worlds up with things of interest so there is always something you can set your sights to doing. I think God of War does this better because there is always something noteworthy in every nook and cranny of the environment, you’ll find yourself constantly looking - and I really liked the quick 30 second brain teaser puzzles you find across the world. Whereas Zelda can be a lot more barren and finding something interesting is about observing things miles away and getting towards it

But thats my taste because I love that style of level design to begin with 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I liked GOW more so far but they are attempting different things. If level design is split into small scale (eg Portal), middle size (eg Arkham Asylum) and large scale (eg GTA) then there are very different things that make it good. God of War does the small and middle size well while Zelda does the large scale very well

Zelda has a huge open world that you can scale anything in. So if you see something of interest it’s  probably five minutes away and you might ride, climb and fly over to it. 

God of War limits your movements and is smaller in scale. But it rewards that limitation by making you figure out how to do things within your capabilities - like a classic Zelda. Eg if I see something interesting on top of a cliff I might have to explore and find the secret entrance behind a river that gets me to it rather than just climbing up. It does this really well

Both work by filling their worlds up with things of interest so there is always something you can set your sights to doing. I think God of War does this better because there is always something noteworthy in every nook and cranny of the environment, you’ll find yourself constantly looking - and I really liked the quick 30 second brain teaser puzzles you find across the world. Whereas Zelda can be a lot more barren and finding something interesting is about observing things miles away and getting towards it

But thats my taste because I love that style of level design to begin with 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought in a nutshell. GoW is not open world. Definitely apple and orange comparison.

But as default I will always prefer smaller scale with great puzzles/traversal mechanics over a huge open world where you can go 'everywhere'. That's not good level design to me. I found this kind of stuff impressive on a technical level back in 2003 while playing Morrowind, it doesn't impress me much anymore.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought in a nutshell. GoW is not open world. Definitely apple and orange comparison.

But as default I will always prefer smaller scale with great puzzles/traversal mechanics over a huge open world where you can go 'everywhere'. That's not good level design to me. I found this kind of stuff impressive on a technical level back in 2003 while playing Morrowind, it doesn't impress me much anymore.

I agree. Zelda does a better job than most games though because the traversal meta is more interesting where is something like Far Cry is just “drive there kill the baddies”