PlayStation Now Adds Downloading of PS4, PS2 Games

Didn't know this

"

We are excited to announce that starting today, you will be able to stream as well as download PlayStation Now games to your PS4 system so that you can play both locally and offline, all with a single subscription. Almost all PS4 games in the service, including Bloodborne, God of War 3 Remastered, NBA 2K16, Payday 2 Crimewave Edition and Until Dawn, will be available for download, in addition to the PS Now lineup of classic PS2 games remastered for PS4.
And remember, you do not need a PlayStation Plus membership for online multiplayer on PS Now – which stays the same for both streaming and downloaded games.
If you’ve already started a game via streaming on PS Now and want to continue playing locally on your PS4, you can transfer your save file from the PS Now cloud to your console with a PS Plus membership (sold separately). This is done by transferring the save file from the PS Now cloud to your PS Plus cloud storage, then transferring it from the PS Plus cloud storage to your PS4 system
Note that you will need to connect your PS4 system to the internet every few days to verify your PS Now subscription, even if you’re only playing downloaded games."
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Why? They're just reflecting GamePass's identity with the limited content that can be allowed for download. Ain't gonna be no PlayStation 3 games for download which is basically 98% of PS Now's library. 

No, they're just doing what PlayStation Plus has been doing for years before GamePass was even a thought.

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Why? They're just reflecting GamePass's identity with the limited content that can be allowed for download. Ain't gonna be no PlayStation 3 games for download which is basically 98% of PS Now's library. 

This essentially makes the PS4 games on the service like gamepass.  People could sign up to the service, and download and play those games natively instead of streaming them.  No purchase of the game necessary.

Now, the question is if they'll start offering new games on the service.. day and date?

Just now, lynux3 said:

No, they're just doing what PlayStation Plus has been doing for years before GamePass was even a thought.

You're still peddling this dumb logic that PS+ is a minor variant of GamePass lol. The games you get with PS+ are not the service you're paying for, they're a carrot to make it appear more viable to pay for the services.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

You're still peddling this dumb logic that PS+ is a minor variant of GamePass lol. The games you get with PS+ are not the service you're paying for, they're a carrot to make it appear more viable to pay for the services.

:snoop:

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

This essentially makes the PS4 games on the service like gamepass.  People could sign up to the service, and download and play those games natively instead of streaming them.  No purchase of the game necessary.

Now, the question is if they'll start offering new games on the service.. day and date?

I assume they won't do that, not yet at least. I can see them pushing them closer to release though so after the initial sales push has faded they get a bit of a second wind with a service model. 

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

No.

I get to play games that they give me with the subscription

The games are cycled in and out, and I have to choose them, as long as I select them during that month, I can play them for as long as I have the subscription active.

The moment the subscription is no longer active, all the games are no longer playable.

PS+ achieves the same thing GamePass does. And its more comprehensive, especially if you have had PS+ for years now.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I assume they won't do that, not yet at least. I can see them pushing them closer to release though so after the initial sales push has faded they get a bit of a second wind with a service model. 

Yea, definitely not right away.  They'll definitely look at their statistics and figure out when the best time is to launch new games into the service...  They are likely working out a model for releases which is predicable for people so they know how and when to expect new content on the service.

This, along with the rumors that Sony is greatly expanding the scope of their PSN service, and the news that AMD is working closely with MS on cloud stuff... it's easy to assume that they're doing the same with Sony, and that Sony is beginning to piece together how to leverage it within their existing platforms.  Pretty much like we assumed they would.  This stuff just makes sense.

I'm excited to see exactly what Sony brings to the table with the PS5 and PSN.  Assuming they release first... it'll be interesting to see if they are as behind as I thought they potentially were, or if they can have things on track for the PS5 launch with BC options, Streaming options, VR options, and an entirely improved network.

Did you guys read about the PS4's latest firmware update.

They had alot of bullet points that imply that they are building a social network that integrates with you playing games on the console.

I forgot the entire list, but it had to do with alot of stuff about seeing what friends and their friends are doing, and they introduced alot of permissions about what you want to allow other people to see from your profile and gaming sessions.  I got the feeling they are building something social media related.

21 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Did you guys read about the PS4's latest firmware update.

They had alot of bullet points that imply that they are building a social network that integrates with you playing games on the console.

I forgot the entire list, but it had to do with alot of stuff about seeing what friends and their friends are doing, and they introduced alot of permissions about what you want to allow other people to see from your profile and gaming sessions.  I got the feeling they are building something social media related.

For sure, there'll definitely be aspects of that.  I think MS was also rumored to have new things in the works for their platform wide progression system, rumored "Xbox Career"  Things like leveling and questing with different kinds of loot... and how to better reward players who are into these kinds of things.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony is doing something as well which integrates all these kinds of aspects into it.  Maybe watching streams, hanging together with others in groups will help your level increase.. or maybe even things like how often you meet, interact, and play, with other people could tie into some progression system which makes people want to seek out and play with more people?  Hell, maybe even introducing people to games by recommending them or something could net rewards and stuff like that?

Lots of possibilities.

22 minutes ago, Aza Team 2019 said:

Pre PS5 business model modifications, PS5 PSN will probably look very different from what we have now... except the OS will probably take up 8 gigs. (Why the fuck are the OSes on twins fucking THREE gigs)

I'd assume because of the persistent nature, allowing things to run in the background at all times. I can go watch a movie and resume a game exactly where it was and so on with no reloading necessary. It just seems there's a lot actively being stored in memory. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
8 minutes ago, -GD- said:

eh, it's a good move, but the service needs more. as for first party games, you'll never (or anytime soon) see them launch on psnow, since they sell like crazy. 

I don't know, Microsoft said that GamePass actually increased sales. I'm assuming due to people being able to demo the games before actually buying them.

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I don't know, Microsoft said that GamePass actually increased sales. I'm assuming due to people being able to demo the games before actually buying them.

sony's software actually sells, though.