VentureBeat (Jeremy Horwitz): VR is about one week away from having its Super Mario 64 moment.

2 hours ago, bhytre said:

Whatever it is I don't think it's gonna be a platformer to take VR to the next level :reg:

No but it will be the first great platformer for VR. Rescue Mission in The Playroom VR seriously owned hard. No doubt this is gonna be great stuff.

Mario 64 redefined 3D game design.  It's basically the reason we have a right stick dedicated to camera control.

This game may redefine VR game design, but that's still just a subset of 3D game design.  They're basically taking the right stick and replacing it with a VR headset.  It may redefine VR gaming, but it's not going to be a Mario 64 moment.  That can't really happen again because we're decades past the point of revolutionary 3D game design and well into incremental improvements to 3D game design.

9 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Mario 64 redefined 3D game design.  It's basically the reason we have a right stick dedicated to camera control.

This game may redefine VR game design, but that's still just a subset of 3D game design.  They're basically taking the right stick and replacing it with a VR headset.  It may redefine VR gaming, but it's not going to be a Mario 64 moment.  That can't really happen again because we're decades past the point of revolutionary 3D game design and well into incremental improvements to 3D game design.

That's just homeboy's opinion on it. It just sounds like camera control in this VR game has redefined the 3D platformer, in which case, he'd be right. You have to remember that Mario 64 didn't have a right stick, it had a center stick (to control the character) with button camera controls (which are terrible). It can definitely happen again and it appears that it is happening now.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

That's just homeboy's opinion on it. It just sounds like camera control in this VR game has redefined the 3D platformer, in which case, he'd be right. You have to remember that Mario 64 didn't have a right stick, it had a center stick (to control the character) with button camera controls (which are terrible). It can definitely happen again and it appears that it is happening now.

I'll believe it when I see it, but we've been told that VR is the next big thing for years now, and so far it just...isn't. :shrug: 

6 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

I'll believe it when I see it, but we've been told that VR is the next big thing for years now, and so far it just...isn't. :shrug: 

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this game has been on my radar since being announced. I think the last few interviews and gameplay videos had pretty much sealed the deal for me, though. Not to mention the mini game "Robot Rescue" was actually very good, but too short. This game is just expanding that.

VR being big or not doesn't relate to this game redefining how people can play a 3D platformer. He does go on to say he thinks this game is "VR's Super Mario 64 moment". Until I actually experience, I'm gonna go with this dude's opinion based on Robot Rescue.

Edited by lynux3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

JonB's taking perm ban bet that this won't outscore Xbox's exclusives this year :face:

Sounds like Slow Johnny got his ass Willy Wonka'd. :cruise: