Turn10 skipping Forza Motorsport 8 in favor of overhauling Forza Motorsport 7.

Forza fundamentals, as described by Chris Esaki, Creative Director of Turn 10, are the things you’d typically associate with a motorsport game like Forza Motorsport 7. These include the overall racing and drifting experience, as well as nitty-gritty areas like the physics, handling, suspension and collision systems. With Forza Motorsport 7, Esaki mentioned that the team received a lot of criticism at this stage of the franchise – and the motorsport team takes that to heart. Esaki also noted how other games that don’t have motorsport in the name might have more features associated with motorsport that aren’t in Forza.

Esaki believes the fundamentals of Forza Motorsport 7 “need to get stronger.” That means re-establishing authority around all the different vehicle dynamics in the game, as well as track layers, collision systems, the core multiplayer experience, AI, and so forth. The things that are fundamental to what motorsport is, and that is exactly what Turn 10 is investing heavily into today. “We love racing, we are a motorsport team,” Esaki stressed during the broadcast.

https://sagamer.co.za/2018/10/05/dont-expect-forza-motorsport-8-next-year-fm7-is-being-completely-overhauled

Edited by lynux3

They talked about this a few months back, they're obviously going to skip 8 in 2019, and launch with it on Scarlett in 2020.

My guess is they're going to support 7 while building the next generation engine. So Forza Horizon 4 is no doubt the last Forza this generation. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

They talked about this a few months back, they're obviously going to skip 8 in 2019, and launch with it on Scarlett in 2020.

My guess is they're going to support 7 while building the next generation engine. So Forza Horizon 4 is no doubt the last Forza this generation. 

Support? They're overhauling the whole game based on community feedback. You might as well call it Forza Motorsport 8 because lets be honest, there's not much difference between 6 and 7 besides menus and obviously core gameplay "enhancements", yet the community thinks otherwise. This is why most people, especially those who stream and play these games religiously, prefer Gran Turismo Sport and it's online. It's much more "mature" and much more motorsports focused. I think Turn10 might be going this route based on what the creative director said. Nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Support? They're overhauling the whole game based on community feedback. You might as well call it Forza Motorsport 8 because lets be honest, there's not much difference between 6 and 7 besides menus and obviously core gameplay "enhancements", yet the community thinks otherwise. This is why most people, especially those who stream and play these games religiously, prefer Gran Turismo Sport and it's online. It's much more "mature" and much more motorsports focused. I think Turn10 might be going this route based on what the creative director said. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you think 7 might become service based? I think that would be a wise decision, instead of releasing subsequent titles they could continually update the title over the years, and years and institute a subscription similar to iRacing. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Do you think 7 might become service based? I think that would be a wise decision, instead of releasing subsequent titles they could continually update the title over the years, and years and institute a subscription similar to iRacing. 

I wish they would make it semi-service based or at least support the title for several years before bringing in something new. Their community will follow it no doubt, Forza's community is just as passionate as Gran Turismo's. It seems to be working for Gran Turismo with these monthly car and track packs for free and then some microtransaction shit on the side. I'm not very fond of the subscription thing.

Yep.. definitely tweaking and updating FM7 to help it last the extra year or so until FM8 comes with next gen.  I'm sure they are building a new engine and remodeling/texturing everything.. as well as revamping their physics and tyre model.  It should be a proper next gen game, completely new and not have anything taken directly from the current gen games. Considering Turn10 are undoubtedly always working in the background building new car models, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the work was already done and they're well on their way.  The extra year or so will help greatly.

They know that the majority of Forza players in 2019 are going to be Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

Why introduce a whole bunch of more cars, more new models, and more new tracks for a game in which the $60-$80 purchasers are not going to be all that big?

Just sell them a product expansion, or an "overhaul"

Keep the new cars and the new tracks for the next version. And it wouldn't surprise me if future versions aren't completely new games, and they truly adopt a Madden franchise style of just calling it Forza Motorsport 2019/2021/2023.

I specifically said that Xbox transitioning over to Game Pass would lead to them  developing games that are no longer "$60 full retail" type of games.