Sony Interactive Entertainment is developing a new kind of game cartridge

That way, the next console can still keep a 1TB-2TB hard drive, but not need to do any more game installs.

On the other hand................Sony has been notorious for some bad storage media that cost alot of money. So, let's hope they've made a breakthrough with a piece of storage media that can hold 50GB-100GB of data while still being relatively cheap to manufacture.

On those two small images on the right side, it seems like there's some sort of connector port, or it could be how their connector pins line up, but it doesn't make sense to have connector pins like that for a cartridge.

I mean, if we're talking about Sony using flash memory to hold 50-100GB, we can expect AAA video games to cost $80.

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

That way, the next console can still keep a 1TB-2TB hard drive, but not need to do any more game installs.

On the other hand................Sony has been notorious for some bad storage media that cost alot of money. So, let's hope they've made a breakthrough with a piece of storage media that can hold 50GB-100GB of data while still being relatively cheap to manufacture.

Honestly don't see that happening. It's cheaper to stick with disc based media and do tricks to speed up load times like they do now. I'd be surprised if this is being designed for their next console.

I'll cross my fingers for a hybrid.  Likelihood of that happening is probably 1 in 20, but a Sony Switch would blow a Nintendo Switch out of the water solely due to the default 3rd party support that it would get.

2 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Honestly don't see that happening. It's cheaper to stick with disc based media and do tricks to speed up load times like they do now. I'd be surprised if this is being designed for their next console.

if they're making a hybrid then solid state >>> than disk based.

It makes sense to start thinking this way considering how useless game discs have become now that devs prretty much install the whole game and very rarely seem to read off the disc 

Discs basically seem like a method of piracy protection and that’s it

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

if they're making a hybrid then solid state >>> than disk based.

Sony is about to surpass 90m units sold, they're not making a hybrid console. lol

If anything they'll release a new portable system, which they've already stated they're still looking into.

Just now, Voidler said:

It makes sense to start thinking this way considering how useless game discs have become now that devs prretty much install the whole game and very rarely seem to read off the disc 

Discs basically seem like a method of piracy protection and that’s it

It makes more sense to just not have any media format at all.

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Sony is about to surpass 90m units sold, they're not making a hybrid console. lol

If anything they'll release a new portable system, which they've already stated they're still looking into.

Did you miss the IF? lol

Didn't say they're definitely making one but IF they're making one... solid state is better for that scenario. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Did you miss the IF? lol

Didn't say they're definitely making one but IF they're making one... solid state is better for that scenario. 

Agreed. That's why the Vita used solid state media.

Just now, Voidler said:

Nah still need a way to distribute the games to those with no internet/slow internet

You're talking about adding costs to replace something that is already cost effective. Installing games entirely or partially is at the developers discretion.

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Once digital adoption surpasses physical Media for video games then that shift will happen. 

Personally not a fan, but it's definitely happening. I suppose at some point everything will be a "Limited Run".

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

You're talking about adding costs to replace something that is already cost effective. Installing games entirely or partially is at the developers discretion.

Physical media still brings in more $$ than digital for Videogames. 

Digital revenue is increasing yes... but not enough to totally replace physical. 

3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Physical media still brings in more $$ than digital for Videogames. 

Digital revenue is increasing yes... but not enough to totally replace physical. 

My biggest problem with digital is if these games are going to be preserved or obtainable in the future when licensing agreements expire or a studio goes defunct. Physical media is very important for those reasons, IMO. It's a shame that licensing is such a cluster fuck that no one has figured out a way around it yet for digital goods.

Edited by lynux3