See DynamiteCop... this is why I knew/know that PS5 wouldn't be using HBM

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just common sense. You'd have to be a fool to think any console manufacturer would be using HBM.   Edit: Additionally, seeing that Sony has invested a lot into Navi already and that

This is just common sense. You'd have to be a fool to think any console manufacturer would be using HBM.

Edit: Additionally, seeing that Sony has invested a lot into Navi already and that GPU supporting GDDR6 says it all. Vega never supported GDDR and never will.

Edited by lynux3
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

This is just common sense. You'd have to be a fool to think any console manufacturer would be using HBM.

Edit: Additionally, seeing that Sony has invested a lot into Navi already and that GPU supporting GDDR6 says it all. Vega never supported GDDR and never will.

Ye

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Did you forget that I was talking about HBM, HBM2 & 3 are not HBM...

:hest:

No I didn't.  I already told you that it didn't matter.  I told you that they aren't going to use any generation of HBM.  Thinking that they'd use an old generation of memory on new FUTURE hardware was stupid on your part to begin with. :| 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No I didn't.  I already told you that it didn't matter.  I told you that they aren't going to use any generation of HBM.  Thinking that they'd use an old generation of memory on new FUTURE hardware was stupid on your part to begin with. :| 

That "old generation" memory can hit GDDR6 bandwidth at no doubt much less of a cost per GB not to mention again that AMD is trying to become self reliant in their business.

It wasn't stupid to think that, it's stupid to dismiss it.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

That "old generation" memory can hit GDDR6 bandwidth at no doubt much less of a cost per GB not to mention again that AMD is trying to become self reliant in their business.

It wasn't stupid to think that, it's stupid to dismiss it.

Nah, it was absolutely stupid to think that.  There's tons of reasons.  Low cost HBM would have reduced bandwidth, costs would still be through the roof on a product launch of this magnitude... this isn't a discreet GPU.. it's a console that sells 10s of millions of units.  Not to mention there's thermal issues, as well as latency issues which make it not ideal as system memory.  They simply aren't and would never consider using old first generation HBM technology.  GDDR suits their needs much better.

17 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nah, it was absolutely stupid to think that.  There's tons of reasons.  Low cost HBM would have reduced bandwidth, costs would still be through the roof on a product launch of this magnitude... this isn't a discreet GPU.. it's a console that sells 10s of millions of units.  Not to mention there's thermal issues, as well as latency issues which make it not ideal as system memory.  They simply aren't and would never consider using old first generation HBM technology.  GDDR suits their needs much better.

I disagree as I did then, a new thread created on the guise of HBM2 and its cost is not going to change anything relative to HBM or my view on it. RAM cost is elevated across the board right now anyway.

You're basically saying "see, I told you!" and then post prices for completely different memory. Like wtf?! That's like me talking about DDR3 and then you come flying in talking about DDR4... :martin:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
38 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

HBM 2 is second gen, HBM is first gen, they're not the same memory.

Who cares. HBM2 is just the evolution of HBM. Consoles aren't getting HBM, HBM2 or HBM3. No one is making HBM(1) memory anymore in a meaningful capacity.

Consoles will be either GDDR5, GDDR5X or GDDR6. Those are high volume production memory solutions which means it's going to be cheap. Based on Navi's design, or at least what we know, it's going to be GDDR6. It's not a bad thing.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Who cares. HBM2 is just the evolution of HBM. Consoles aren't getting HBM, HBM2 or HBM3. No one is making HBM(1) memory anymore in a meaningful capacity.

Consoles will be either GDDR5, GDDR5X or GDDR6. Those are high volume production memory solutions which means it's going to be cheap. Based on Navi's design, or at least what we know, it's going to be GDDR6. It's not a bad thing.

AMD is using HBM in their own high volume APU's which is exactly what sparked this in the first place and their want to self sustain. Ruling HBM out is foolish.

We're just running over the same talking points as that thread from 6 months ago and nothing has changed.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

AMD is using HBM in their own high volume APU's which is exactly what sparked this in the first place and their want to self sustain. Ruling HBM out is foolish.

We're just running over the same talking points as that thread from 6 months ago and nothing has changed.

It's not happening and HBM is definitely not high volume. What are they using it in? Basically discontinued Vega 56 and Vega 64 GPUs? Radeon Instinct MI8 is EoS and replaced by cards with HBM2. Hades Canyon uses HBM2. It was rumored that AMD only produced like 5K Radeon VII's for launch and maybe more depending on demand. That's not high volume... at all.

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I disagree as I did then, a new thread created on the guise of HBM2 and its cost is not going to change anything relative to HBM or my view on it. RAM cost is elevated across the board right now anyway.

You're basically saying "see, I told you!" and then post prices for completely different memory. Like wtf?! That's like me talking about DDR3 and then you come flying in talking about DDR4... :martin:

I am saying "see, I told you so!" because you're absolutely retarded to think that they'd use old generation HMB memory due to the reasons I listed.. among others.  It was obvious back then that you were just wishful thinking in the hopes that these new consoles would have huge amounts of memory bandwidth.  And you can claim that I made this thread under the guise of HBM2 and posted the price of "a completely different memory"..... but just think for a second.  16GB of HBM2 (as of now, not 1 or 2 years ago...) costs $320. How much RAM did you expect these new consoles to have?  24GB or 32?  That's WAY to costly, even using first gen HBM. 

It's simply not happening.  By now you've got to know that they are going with GDDR6 :D 

17 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They ARE using?  They've been saying that for years... WHERE ARE THE RECEIPTS? 

4 products..

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

I just read new die shrinks can be expected in 2021/22. That's Pro iteration time. Not next gen time. 

I think dying new shrinks won't help people with problems. 

• 1 month later...