Quantic Dream receives investment from NetEase to develop next-gen games; also going multi-platform

Chinese internet company NetEase announced it has purchased a minority stake in Quantic Dream, the French developer behind Heavy Rain and Detroit: Become Human, as part of an investment in “the development and creation of the next generation games.”

NetEase did not disclose the monetary terms of its investment in Quantic Dream. The investment will “support [Quantic Dream]’s vision of becoming a global, multi-franchise entertainment company, and to develop advanced technologies and games for the future,” NetEase said in a news release.

NetEase used similar language in describing its $100 million investment in Halo and Destiny developer Bungie last year.

So Sony has lost several 2nd parties this gen. Supermassive, Housemarque, and now Quantic Dream all going multiplat. MS acquired Ninja Theory last year and now RAD is also rumored to be acquired by MS.  How big is this?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/29/18201917/quantic-dream-netease-investment-next-gen-games

Edited by Pureis

None of this should be surprising, multiplatform development is better for these smaller AA/AAA studios, it's better for consumers, it's better for the industry. I mean if you want to get down to reality Quantic Dream is just going back to what they used to do, before their games with Sony they were a multiplatform developer. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
10 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

None of this should be surprising, multiplatform development is better for these smaller AA/AAA studios, it's better for consumers, it's better for the industry. I mean if you want to get down to reality Quantic Dream is just going back to what they used to do, before their games with Sony they were a multiplatform developer. 

I agree going multiplat is good for these smaller studios but Sony has traditionally relied on their 2nd parties to boost their exclusive offerings. At the least, they serve as good fillers in between big releases. With MS aggressively courting them (including some of those Sony 2nd parties), Sony may soon find themselves in trouble. Ninja Theory's next game  will not be on Playstation, same for other mid size studios like Obsidian. RAD is heavily linked with MS and I'm pretty sure they will not stop there. 

36 minutes ago, Pureis said:

I agree going multiplat is good for these smaller studios but Sony has traditionally relied on their 2nd parties to boost their exclusive offerings. At the least, they serve as good fillers in between big releases. With MS aggressively courting them (including some of those Sony 2nd parties), Sony may soon find themselves in trouble. Ninja Theory's next game  will not be on Playstation, same for other mid size studios like Obsidian. RAD is heavily linked with MS and I'm pretty sure they will not stop there. 

With MS soaking up all the garbage 3rd tier western studios, Sony's going to have to rely on Japanese developers even more to boost their portfolio.

Losing these 3rd rate western devs is a positive for Sony. 

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

For all the David Cage haters? Have yous played Detroit?

He's hardly an amazing writer or director but Detroit is legitimately excellent and he has realised his shortcoming and got help in the writing department for Detroit. 

yeah, i get the hate for heavy rain and beyond 2 souls, but detroit was amazing. it's the only game i've ever plat'd. i loved seeing all of the different scenarios, and was amazed by all of the potential plot/subplot developments. while the story, in general, is all too familiar in sci-fi, detroit's characters truly resonated with me.  

Edited by -GD-
Just now, -GD- said:

yeah, i get the hate for heavy rain and that beyond 2 souls, but detroit was amazing. it's the only game i've ever plat'd. i loved seeing all of the different scenarios, and was amazed by all of the potential plot/subplot developments. while the story, in general, is all too familiar in sci-fi, detroit's characters truly resonated with me.  

Spot on. Detroit's character's (2 out of 3 of them anyway) are written very well for a video game and have more heart than most other games. Not to mention it is truly the only game that truly has choice and consequence with proper differing paths that influence the entirety of the game. Not the illusion of choice like nearly all Telltale games and most other ones of this genre. 

• Like 2
Just now, madmaltese said:

Spot on. Detroit's character's (2 out of 3 of them anyway) are written very well for a video game and have more heart than most other games. Not to mention it is truly the only game that truly has choice and consequence with proper differing paths that influence the entirety of the game. Not the illusion of choice like nearly all Telltale games and most other ones of this genre. 

exactly! i couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1