Steam has reached MAU parity with PSN

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LMAU.. I can't believe you didn't know that :D 

:-* 

I never heard of it. But I don't actually care about that stuff.

Some input from me: Lots of people that play dota 2 are playing Dota chess right now. It might be the next huge steam mod. 

lmau

Edited by kaz
16 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

How in the world was PSN ahead of Steam?

I can't be assed to check right now, but maybe the consider MAUs by different metrics?  Steam I think you need to have an account and have purchased a game and have played a game for that month.  Not sure about PSN though.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I can't be assed to check right now, but maybe the consider MAUs by different metrics?  Steam I think you need to have an account and have purchased a game and have played a game for that month.  Not sure about PSN though.

That would make sense if you had to buy a game.

I always assumed MAU for everything would've just been that a user had to log in to the service in that month. 

Just now, madmaltese said:

That would make sense if you had to buy a game.

I always assumed MAU for everything would've just been that a user had to log in to the service in that month. 

Nah, just logging in doesn't make you "active".  You have to actually play a game.  

To be considered an "active account" you have to buy a game.  To be an "active user" you have to play a game once a month.

as far as I know you can idle in a game and it counts as playing (DotA 2 for example).  

It counts for play time obviously but I'm pretty sure it adds to the "played" statistics alsp. 

Edited by kaz
3 hours ago, lynux3 said:

I like how you just generally accept Steam as having 90m MAU, but try to break down and delegitimize PSN's more than 90m MAU when it was reported. :reg:

Because one doesn't hide a 36 million paid figure which is all people care about  for PSN in a 90 million sum.

:yeshrug:

25 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Because one doesn't hide a 36 million paid figure which is all people care about  for PSN in a 90 million sum.

What lol Sony and Nintendo at least break down how much of their 'MAUs' are paid and how much arent, unlike MS that lumps everything together because they are embarrassed to reveal the data :yeshrug: 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

What lol Sony and Nintendo at least break down how much of their 'MAUs' are paid and how much arent, unlike MS that lumps everything together because they are embarrassed to reveal the data :yeshrug: 

DynamiteCop :mickey:

How could not see this response coming? 

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Unbelievable. :mj: Just because PSN is significantly bigger than XBL doesn't mean it's not bigger. Based on recent news it looks like Microsoft wants to "third party" XBL just to make it competitive. :reg: Also, acting like XBL Silver is a paid figure. Gold numbers are probably significantly lower.

Edited by lynux3