The Frostbite engine is an almighty flop

Remember when DICE created the Frostbite engine to create a dynamic environment which could be altered by the player's doing?

We saw a bit of this with the Back to Karkand add on for BF3.

Then we saw a bit more of this on BF4, although more rudimentary.

Now, it is nowhere to be seen.

Instead, EA decided to use Frostbite on a game that has no need for it, like FIFA.

Yea, they fucked up with it.  The major contributors to it are no longer with DICE.. so it's probably just being retooled for shit it was never meant to be used for, and they're trying to make it cope as best they can... but it's fucked for certain types of games.

Anthem is downright gorgeous... but the engine just sucks at streaming in assets so there's terrible loading screens everywhere.  And FIFA and shit hardly look different year to year anymore.  It's dead in the water I think.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, they fucked up with it.  The major contributors to it are no longer with DICE.. so it's probably just being retooled for shit it was never meant to be used for, and they're trying to make it cope as best they can... but it's fucked for certain types of games.

Anthem is downright gorgeous... but the engine just sucks at streaming in assets so there's terrible loading screens everywhere.  And FIFA and shit hardly look different year to year anymore.  It's dead in the water I think.

Frostbite was meant to be used for environmental destruction.

Animation wise it sucks.

Looks ugly and downright silly at times.

• Like 1

I like it. The destruction in BF games was pretty consistent since BFBC2 even though it seems it kinda went a step back. :yeshrug:

The only thing I miss are the levelution events, some of them were pretty cool (BF4 siege of shanghai's skyscraper collapse, or flooding the whole map on flood zone).

So, DICE is almost single-handedly responsible for destroying EA.

Their game-engine

Their studio and how they handled post-launch content

Their exec becoming a head of the entire EA company making horrific business decision.

Everything about DICE ended up fucking EA.

The only current game NOT running on Frostbite may very well be its savior.

Respawn Entertainment, the people who were behind DICE's competitor Infinity Ward and their superior Call of Duty franchise, has come out of nowhere to give EA a lifeline with their battle royale that is based on the Source engine. It almost seems poetic.

4 hours ago, kaz said:

I like it. The destruction in BF games was pretty consistent since BFBC2 even though it seems it kinda went a step back. :yeshrug:

The only thing I miss are the levelution events, some of them were pretty cool (BF4 siege of shanghai's skyscraper collapse, or flooding the whole map on flood zone).

Yeah those were cool but what i really miss in BF5 is the dynamic weather from BF1. Theres glimpses of that in the game (such as the blizzard on fjell) but they're no where as prevalent or interesting.

41 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So, DICE is almost single-handedly responsible for destroying EA.

Their game-engine

Their studio and how they handled post-launch content

Their exec becoming a head of the entire EA company making horrific business decision.

Everything about DICE ended up fucking EA.

The only current game NOT running on Frostbite may very well be its savior.

Respawn Entertainment, the people who were behind DICE's competitor Infinity Ward and their superior Call of Duty franchise, has come out of nowhere to give EA a lifeline with their battle royale that is based on the Source engine. It almost seems poetic.

uhhh you do realize that Apex Legends is built off of Titanfall right? Of course its going to use source, unless you think its somehow logical for them to transition to Frostbite and remake everything for a F2P spin off....

51 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

uhhh you do realize that Apex Legends is built off of Titanfall right? Of course its going to use source, unless you think its somehow logical for them to transition to Frostbite and remake everything for a F2P spin off....

Why would I assume that Respawn would want to use frostbite?

They're actually adept at making good first-person shooters and online modes.

8 hours ago, jehurey said:

Why would I assume that Respawn would want to use frostbite?

They're actually adept at making good first-person shooters and online modes.

So what’s your excuse going to be when it’s revealed that respawn’s Star Wars game is using frostbite? I think we should make a bet on that.

14 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah those were cool but what i really miss in BF5 is the dynamic weather from BF1. Theres glimpses of that in the game (such as the blizzard on fjell) but they're no where as prevalent or interesting.

yeah I agree. Tho the storm on hamada is probably my favourite weather effect yet. The fog in BF1 was amazing even tho 3d spotting ruined it sometimes.

they are too rare in BF5 like cool i can play the last 2 min of the map in a sand storm :dame: 

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

So what’s your excuse going to be when it’s revealed that respawn’s Star Wars game is using frostbite? I think we should make a bet on that.

Don't get mad at me........I'm not the one who's committed 5 years of terrible mistakes and PR disasters at EA.

Respawn just might be talented enough to make an engaging Star Wars game using DICE's tech. After this month, I think longtime EA executives are going to have to rethink which studio they need to be looking for answers to their problems.