SP is dead GAAS IS TEH FUTURE

I remember all this dumb shit being hammered into me. Two huge publishers thought they were gonna board the gravy train.

Fallout 76 - LMAO

Anthemn - FLOP. Looks like it sold LESS than the single player flop that was Andromeda.

RDR2 Online - Shit profits stats after 20+ million sold, less than 20% of GTA5.

In ONE months we had mega success with RE2, Kingdom Hearts 3, somehow Ace Combat managed to do over half a million in Asia alone.

You can be sure 10000% that Days Gone, DMC5, and Seriko will absolutely butcher those in overall profits, and risk to investment.

Edited by Team 2019

GaaS is a future, not the future.

Honestly, all of the AAA publishers chasing GaaS is the best thing that could happen to indie and mid-level publishers.  They're retreating up market, and ceding the lower markets to the competition.  This type of action is how something like Octopath Traveller, or Stardew Valley, or Hollow Knight thrives.  Those successes will allow lower-tiered publishers to begin moving up market into games akin to what we got in the PS1/N64 era.

I think we're about to see a major upending of the market in the next ten years, and it's going to come from these lower-tiered publishers filling in the void that was left when EA abandoned Mass Effect/Dead Space/Burnout/Dragon Age, when 2K abandoned Bioshock, or when Activision abandoned everything not called Call of Duty.

The publishers trend chasing and failing isn't really a surprise, this happens in SP games too. GaaS has been a very viable strategy for a number of games, it's just a genre that really limits a player's ability to play multiple things and as such is highly competitive. All those games you mentioned have failed as a result of extremely poor quality (referring to FO76 and Anthem), the exact same poor quality fails in the SP scene too. 

5 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

The publishers trend chasing and failing isn't really a surprise, this happens in SP games too. GaaS has been a very viable strategy for a number of games, it's just a genre that really limits a player's ability to play multiple things and as such is highly competitive. All those games you mentioned have failed as a result of extremely poor quality (referring to FO76 and Anthem), the exact same poor quality fails in the SP scene too. 

Unless you're Battle royale, chances are your genre is oversaturated.

5 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Unless you're Battle royale, chances are your genre is oversaturated.

BR is also oversaturated to a point already because the games are after the exact same market share. If you notice, the rise of a new BR game has always led the previous to slowly decline. Fortnite caused the decline of PUBG and now Apex has caused the first decline for Fortnite. Every other game that didn't click pretty much instantly died. It's probably the most brutal genre out there atm. 

49 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

BR is also oversaturated to a point already because the games are after the exact same market share. If you notice, the rise of a new BR game has always led the previous to slowly decline. Fortnite caused the decline of PUBG and now Apex has caused the first decline for Fortnite. Every other game that didn't click pretty much instantly died. It's probably the most brutal genre out there atm. 

Tetris 99 is SO good though. :aitch:

The irony being with a GaaS model publishers nearly always make their money back plus a profitable return. See a Quantum Break versus Sea of Thieves, one is a one and done model so when sales peak and then fall off that's the end of the line. Sea of Thieves though? It will continue to bring in money and grow over the life of the product. 

No one said single player games are dead, they're just a much more risk prone model and are falling out of development and popularity. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The irony being with a GaaS model publishers nearly always make their money back plus a profitable return. See a Quantum Break versus Sea of Thieves, one is a one and done model so when sales peak and then fall off that's the end of the line. Sea of Thieves though? It will continue to bring in money and grow over the life of the product. 

No one said single player games are dead, they're just a much more risk prone model and are falling out of development and popularity. 

Darksiders 3 needed 100k sales to break even. Not everything needs to be a stupidly budgets "AAA" game, that puts the company under if it flops.

GAAS has so many bombs, its hard to ignore, and I'm not talking about my original post either. 

There will always be a market for SP games. Also, imagine GaaS offering free new content, every month, for SP titles...like new areas to explore..or new arcs/characters. I rather see that than paying for season passes or buying expansions. 

1 minute ago, -GD- said:

There will always be a market for SP games. Also, imagine GaaS offering free new content, every month, for SP titles...like new areas to explore..or new arcs/characters. I rather see that than paying for season passes or buying expansions. 

I think Microsoft has the best overall model in their games to foster both, it seems in general their games get equal attention to single player and multiplayer which can then follow a GaaS model and continue to grow. Sony leans hard into single player stuff with occasional tack on multiplayer modes that don't ever go anywhere. They need to figure that out. 

4 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

GaaS isn't the future of shit. Digital isn't the future of shit, either.

Xbox owners are praying sony follows suit so they have someone to share in the suffering. MS is pushing this crap, not Sony.

if you don't want a digital future with dumb service games, support PS5 and Nintendo, simple.

You have a rude awakening on the horizon...

9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I think Microsoft has the best overall model in their games to foster both, it seems in general their games get equal attention to single player and multiplayer which can then follow a GaaS model and continue to grow. Sony leans hard into single player stuff with occasional tack on multiplayer modes that don't ever go anywhere. They need to figure that out. 

well, that's why i favor Sony. i love SP experiences. however, yeah, they would be even bigger if they had stronger first party multiplayer games.