HDR >>> Ray Tracing

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm, I think we need to wait until we see Ray Tracing used on a regular basis. 

Yeah, I'm just saying, when it launched it was easy to say: "Oh well, 3 games use it, and the others due out will need a dedicated card. FLOP."     Meanwhile RTX currently has just a fe

Loves HDR but hasn't played any of the best implementation of HDR in games cause they are mostly Sony first party games 

Posted Images

HDR is immediate . Playing the Division 2 and I'm like damn the hdr in this looks fucking great .

Metro with Ray tracing is like , oh , there was an apple on that table but now I can't see it because the lighting wasn't "realistic"

Oh this corner of the room is dark , can't see shit , silly rtx , gimme my 20 frames back 

Not even close LMAO

You don't even fucking realize what you're looking at and what game graphics have been so wrong for so long :hest: 

Ray tracing in Metro is on another fucking level than their traditional raster point light shit.  LMAO looking at still screens and judging shit...  Objects fit the scene appropriately and with the appropriate presence and lighting.... lmfao.

This is gonna be so fun to look back on..

But hey even if you disagree... having both is better than just HDR TLHBFR :juggle: 

9 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

I've played both . HDR is noticed immediately and a huge difference .

Rt I had to look for it and in some cases it makes things worse .

It never makes things worse.  If it's darker... it's because that's what it should be. 

When next gen Xbox supports ray tracing over the cloud.. you're gonna notice the difference :pavarotti: 

And again, half the time HDR isn't even HDR... you're being fed lies and gobbling it up :D 

Metro in HDR with RT looks Absolutely Glorious™ :smoke: 

2 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Realistic doesn't always mean better. 

Realistic lighting is always better.  This game isn't meant to be a cartoon.

The thing is.. games have to truly be designed with RT global illumination in mind.  When the only light source is the sun.. and you design buildings and what-have-you without properly furnishing/designing those buildings with light, then all you get is the light shining in from the sun, and thus at certain times in Metro it can be dark.. because it WOULD be dark.  In a game designed from the get go with it in mind, then they would actually have to think about logical lighting as well as the sun light.

In Metro, for sure there are times where it's a bit too dark.. but considering when they decided to implement it, and how they did... they did a great fucking job.  And besides... you have a flashlight the entire game.

It's early, but let's not pretend like the differences aren't noticeable...  In Metro, objects in the scene, and characters and everything, look properly SET in the scene.  I notice it.. it's a huge difference to me.. but I understand that to other people the differences aren't immediate, and they don't realize, or care, that traditional lighting has looked completely wrong for so long, because they are used to it. 

Trust me Jon, breh... next gen,  I guarantee you more and more games will be using it (because MS is really supposedly going to support it in some capacity) and you'll eventually see more and more differences... then traditional lighting will just look extremely wrong.

3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

There are even tests of cloud gaming doing RT in the future. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a feature in the next-gen console revisions, it will be embarassing if a stream can do something native hardware cant.

Huh? What are you even talking about :cosby2: 

Why is it embarrassing?  Ray tracing requires insane amounts of computational power.  Having a cloud based Global Illumination solution which uses RT on servers and updates the game lighting on the fly with little to no performance cost is fucking awesome.  They could use the cloud for certain large scale things, which don't change very rapidly (like Time of Day lighting) and then sparingly use the console/PC hardware to do smaller things like reflections in spots.

Cloud computing is just getting started.. It's fucking interesting as hell.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Referencing consoles lol. 

I knew you were.. but I edited my post to ask what you meant by embarrassing.  It's not.  It's a great potential solution while local hardware resources are scarce.