Being a game collector

Buying digital games at anywhere near full price is a scam.

With physical copies you can sell games you don't like and recoup most of your money, they often hold or appreciate in value if you have GoodTaste in games (opened copies of Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose are selling for $250-$300 on eBay), and you don't lose them if the service you bought them from no longer exists and the device you have them stored on stops working.

I'm fine with collecting the rare stuff, but collecting the mass market shit just seems so pointless. Oh wow, you have Farcry 5 in your collection? That's so cool man, I'd have to drive all the way to Gamestop and pay $3 for that.

8 hours ago, Bodycount N said:

I can't fathom having a digital collection of what is essentially nothing. Paying $80 a pop for a game that exists on some dumb account with a dumb login and a password.

that's like literally not even owning shit. fine for a $5 digital only game, but a full release?

Digital is a complete rip off.

Case is Red BTW :glad: 

Don't look at it as a collection. Its a game and meant to be played and enjoyed. It's not hockey cards

I don't see the incentive anymore to collect games like I used to. Now every game needs updates, is incomplete or broken on launch or gets a lot of DLC so your standard disc is useless. I'll only buy some rare Dreamcast games and other pre-X360 gaming systems if I ever decide to collect again, but it's unlikely.

New digital games are overpriced though, many times they're more expensive than the physical releases what kind of bs is that?

And there will come a time when these services will shut down or they remove games and DLC from their libraries so for historical purpose it's a major flaw.

I am somewhere in between being a game collector, and being a game upgrader who essentially replaces previous consoles if I can transfer over important games to future consoles.

I do admire the SNES quite alot, but I never felt like I had a desire to "collect" SNES and its cartridges.  So for me, having the SNES classic and just hacking it with roms kind of scratches that itch just fine. There's a handful of NES/SNES games that I am playing on my DSi and Wii U handheld screen that do the job for me.

I do kick myself for fucking missing out on that $80 brand-new Dreamcast stock that ThinkGeek got a hold of a few years ago, I should've definitely been all over that.

The reason why I bought a PS Classic is because I hope there will be a good-enough hacking solution for me to put the 50-60 most important PS1 games on there, and I can get a Dualshock controller to work on it, and that should do it.

I'll keep my Vita forever because that essentially has some unique games to it, and it has some PSP games on there.  I need to get my Gamecube back from my friend, and make sure I have my existing games well secured.

I may be getting to a point where I may transfer all of my stuff over from the Wii to the Wii U and because I have a GC and a Wii U, then the Wii is expendable. I still never played through Zack and Wiki and Trauma Center/Trauma Team games.

The X360, I actually have a specific list of games I wanted to finish on it before I absolutely knew that I didn't need it anymore. Mercenaries (Xbox1) Gears 2, 3, and Judgement, Splinter Cell Double Agent (Xbox 1), Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, maybe Otogi, and  Rallisport from original Xbox,. After that, that should do it. If there's an Xbox/Xbox360 emulator that comes to Windows PC, that would also be great.

I've been trying to repair my 60GB launch PS3, but in case I can't do it, I will find an used PS3 slim for sale so that I can finish up the games I have on disc and the PS+ free games I bought.

• Upvote 1