Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - World of Erdrea trailer

Remember when it was just assumed that the Switch version would just be a completely different kiddie version?  That may have been the original plan, but Square Enix clearly knew that they need to put the whole thing on Switch.

I'm sure there are some concession in there to make it all fit, but that's a hell of a port.

53 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Remember when it was just assumed that the Switch version would just be a completely different kiddie version?  That may have been the original plan, but Square Enix clearly knew that they need to put the whole thing on Switch.

I'm sure there are some concession in there to make it all fit, but that's a hell of a port.

Yea.  It's not like it was going to be "the 3DS version" or anything like that.. but it was hard to say just how faithful it was going to be to the PS4 version.  Turned out pretty darn good imo.  Though I am curious as to what performance is going to be like in a certain town during the game.  One of the towns has a long draw distance when you first enter it and is fairly complex geometry-wise.  I would be getting 130+fps and then it would tank down to like 75-80 on my 1080ti at the time.

But yea, wasn't there something about the game not being possible until a new revision of UE4 came out with Switch specific optimizations that made it possible or something?  Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's possible that was all just BS and it was always going to work.

I am pretty damned surprised about them fitting everything in, in all honesty... because the game is fucking massive.  It's mostly all real-time cutscenes though, so that helps a lot.  There's 3 decently lengthy CG cutscenes though... and this version has the nice Orchestrated soundtrack.

I wish I had the chance to play this again for the first time though.  Yall are in for a treat.  

Edited by Remij_
50 minutes ago, jehurey said:

There are no concessions.  It has the 2d version included, longer quest with individual quests andThey even included the orchestrated music and it sounds amazing.  

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.  It's not like it was going to be "the 3DS version" or anything like that.. but it was hard to say just how faithful it was going to be to the PS4 version.  Turned out pretty darn good imo.  Though I am curious as to what performance is going to be like in a certain town during the game.  One of the towns has a long draw distance when you first enter it and is fairly complex geometry-wise.  I would be getting 130+fps and then it would tank down to like 75-80 on my 1080ti at the time.

But yea, wasn't there something about the game not being possible until a new revision of UE4 came out with Switch specific optimizations that made it possible or something?  Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's possible that was all just BS and it was always going to work.

I am pretty damned surprised about them fitting everything in, in all honesty... because the game is fucking massive.  It's mostly all real-time cutscenes though, so that helps a lot.  There's 3 decently lengthy CG cutscenes though... and this version has the nice Orchestrated soundtrack.

I wish I had the chance to play this again for the first time though.  Yall are in for a treat.  

This wast the first game announced for Switch (NX) and once it was revealed to the public on PS4... people thought Switch couldn't run it (at that time people actually believed BOTW maxed out Switch at launch) and were saying Switch would only get an HD version of the 3DS game..... this was a real thing..... Turns out they were half right.. Switch gets both :aitch:

What held up the Switch version was some of the features used in the game were not supported for Switch in UE4 as yet....once Epic launched Fortnite on Switch last summer.... Epic was able to start rolling Switch optimizations in UE4 much faster and here we are today....

Switch version of Fortnite gets the UE4 updates same day as PS4/X1... update parity in UE4 for Switch. 

Edited by Goukosan