Borderlands 3 (Digital Foundry Analysis)

It's a fucking mess on consoles, there's no good way to play it and it appears they put almost no effort or rational thought behind anything. If the enhanced consoles are like this I can't even imagine how bad it is on the base systems, Gearbox is trash.

Xbox One X

• Performance mode: 1920x1080 (60 FPS Target)
  • Resolution mode: 3200x1800 (30 FPS Target)
  • Lower level of AO and less foliage, everything else appears identical (The result of a base Xbox One 1:1 flip)
  • Performance mode shows very inconsistent performance but on the whole about 8-10 FPS higher on average than the Pro
  • Resolution mode appears to be a near perfect lock at 30 FPS

PlayStation 4 Pro

• Performance mode: 1920x1080 (60 FPS Target)
  • Resolution mode: 3200x1800 (30 FPS Target)
  • Higher level of AO and more foliage, everything else appears identical (The result of a base PS4 1:1 flip)
  • Performance mode shows very inconsistent performance not unlike the Xbox One X but worse on all fronts dropping into the low 40's while the X's seems to gravitate more to the low 50's
  • Resolution mode is also very inconsistent never really staying at 30 FPS and falling into the mid to low 20's at times

Piece of shit. 

Just now, Team 2019 said:

Visuals really dont look like a serious upgrade over last gen, could be the artstyle.

It's a jump from Unreal 3 to 4 so some other things are no doubt going on rendering wise but on the whole the way it looks doesn't justify the way it functions. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

If you say so, it looks a bit more advanced but shit and outdated all the same. 

Oh yea :trump2: 

It's quite obvious you guys see "cell shaded art styles" as technically less demanding than others... The more 'arty' it looks.. the less demanding it should be... which is just ignorance.  Just about every aspect of the game has been improved a lot.  Models have much higher poly counts, better animations.. there's more enemies on screen at any given time, the world is bigger.. the world has more interactive physics, effects have been improved.. lighting and shadowing is far better.

It all adds up...

• Like 2
Just now, Remij_ said:

Oh yea :trump2: 

It's quite obvious you guys see "cell shaded art styles" as technically less demanding than others... The more 'arty' it looks.. the less demanding it should be... which is just ignorance.  Just about every aspect of the game has been improved a lot.  Models have much higher poly counts, better animations.. there's more enemies on screen at any given time, the world is bigger.. the world has more interactive physics, effects have been improved.. lighting and shadowing is far better.

It all adds up...

And yet it still look years upon years old. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

2080 Ti's with 8700k's dropping into the mid-40's at 4K Ultra with a game that looks like this?

fsw7Aqw.jpg

:scust2:

Oh, I'm not saying the game doesn't have performance issues and that it shouldn't be running better than it currently is across all platforms... but imo, the game is extremely sharp looking.  I really love the style, and I also can see ways in which this game is using advanced effects far greater than the previous one.

That said... again, this is another one of those games where "Ultra" needlessly (or perhaps it's bugged) taxes your system with almost no perceptible visual improvement.  Apparently, you can lower a few settings which aren't really even noticeable and gain another 20-30fps.

Yeah sure . I think BL2 on x at 4k looks amazing . It even looked good at 1080p on my pc because of the artsytle .

I'm not saying it doesnt look good . Just that it doesnt look good enough from 2 .