Detroit: Become Human on PC will use Quantic Dream's latest generation PC engine and will run on the Vulkan API

OnlySP: Many may assume porting games can be done with just the flip of a switch. What unexpected difficulties has the team faced when porting these games to PC?

Cage: Actually, our games were optimized to the bone for PlayStation, with a very specific architecture to be as close as possible to the hardware. That’s one of the good things about being on a single platform, you can really tailor your engine to be optimal… but the bad side is that adapting to other platforms becomes more challenging.

This is why we had to work on new engines dedicated to the PC in order to have optimal performances on this platform. Heavy Rain/Beyond and Detroit: Become Human will use different engines: for Detroit, we will have our latest generation PC engine running under OpenGL Vulkan, which will be our platform for all future projects.

https://www.onlysp.com/david-cage-quantic-dream-interview-heavy-rain-beyond-two-souls-detroit-become-human/

Very cool seeing another developer utilizing Vulkan for their next generation engine.  

There's the new DOOM games, Wolfenstein games, RAGE 2, The Surge 2, World War Z, No Man's Sky, and lots of Linux versions of PC games are using Vulkan, not to mention all the emulators are pushing Vulkan backends as well.

Good to see it getting more support.

9 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Makes no sense. PS4 is a generic PC in essence.

Uh.. 

That's not quite how it works.. nor what he means.  What he means is that their game is so specifically coded to work within the confines of the exact PS4 hardware that it makes it challenging to just bring things straight over.  Unlike MS which has basically been working on making Xbox and PC as similar to code for as possible and creating tools to work across both platforms.

They're absolutely using Vulkan though because it's the closest parallel to what PS4 and PS5 will use.  Vulkan is supported across ALL devices at this point.. so they'll be able to create their games for all platforms the easiest using Vulkan.

On that point though... a PS4 "emulator" is in the works... but the developers are saying it's not actually an emulator... what they are making is essentially the same thing as WINE... which is a compatibility layer, not an emulator.  Since the PS4 uses x86 hardware, they don't actually have to emulate.

8 minutes ago, -GD- said:

it was gorgeous on the pro. i look forward to seeing the pc version. 

Yea me too.  While it's very unlikely that they'll really improve anything, just seeing it in native 4K and or 60+fps will be glorious.

• Upvote 1

i feel like there is no reason to buy a console anymore. I bought a ps3 for a few games in mind like zone of the enders 3 (please, kojima if you read this, do your magic :-*) FF etc and one of them was heavy rain.

now almost everything gets a pc release that leaves even less exclusives that i really want to play but it feels like a waste of money. first world problems i guess.

I was on board with the pc ps4 switch movement but now it got reduced to pc and switch and hope the last ps games come to pc :mjcry: 

Edited by kaz
11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Doesn't Vulkan make the most sense given its origin platform?

Yep.  Considering they will still be making games for Playstation, Vulkan is the appropriate API to target all platforms, which they said they intend to do.

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yep.  Considering they will still be making games for Playstation, Vulkan is the appropriate API to target all platforms, which they said they intend to do.

I guess you didn't get the memo, they're going back to full multiplat like they used to back in the day so DirectX is going to be on the table. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/quantic-dream-games-wont-be-exclusive-to-any-platform-anymore-says-david-cage/

Cage made it clear that the studio no longer plans to make its games exclusive to any platform going forward. “Quantic Dream is not exclusive to any platform anymore,” Cage stated, “So yes, unless there are some specific exclusivity deals on a title-by-title basis, all our games will be released on all platforms at launch.”

We all know Switch will be skipped though :tom:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

I guess you didn't get the memo, they're going back to full multiplat like they used to back in the day so DirectX is going to be on the table. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/quantic-dream-games-wont-be-exclusive-to-any-platform-anymore-says-david-cage/

Cage made it clear that the studio no longer plans to make its games exclusive to any platform going forward. “Quantic Dream is not exclusive to any platform anymore,” Cage stated, “So yes, unless there are some specific exclusivity deals on a title-by-title basis, all our games will be released on all platforms at launch.”

We all know Switch will be skipped though :tom:

:cosby2: 

Read what I said again..

7 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Don't they have to use DirectX on Xbox? 

Yes, but it's quite easy in comparison to translate Vulkan to DX12 and vice versa.

What I meant with my post was that since they are targeting multiplatforms, including consoles, PC, mobile, and likely Stadia... Vulkan makes the most sense.  It's the closest equivalent to Playstations API, and is the API that Stadia uses, PC, and mobile both support it as well.  It just makes sense.

They'll still have to do work obviously.. but it's less work than it otherwise would be.

I think you should know i'm more engaged with 3d rendering software and 3d graphics programs than you. I think your arguments are really funny though. 

• 1 month later...

David Cage just tweeted that they on the final run to master.  The official announcement is coming soon (he said that last time though lmao)

He also tweeted that this is the first screenshot of Connor on PC... (which means that they must have been showing the PS4 Pro version until now)

It's just a snippet.. but 

EIhorTZWoAAauqI?format=png&name=900x900

This shit is gonna look so fucking good.  I can't wait to play it again :smoke: