U.K: Luigi's mansion 3 conquers the charts, tops zelda and Mario Maker to become fastest selling Switch game of 2019

Luigi's Mansion 3 has eclipsed The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Super Mario Maker 2 to become the fastest-selling physical Switch game of 2019.

It performed this feat in part because it was on sale for 24 hours longer than either of those other two titles, as Nintendo released the ghost-hunting adventure on Halloween, which was a Thursday rather than the usual Friday.

It may still come as a surprise that a Luigi-fronted game performed ahead of Zelda and Mario, but Nintendo had a lot of faith that this could be a significant release for Switch. The title received headline billing during E3 this year, and the last game in the franchise (Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS) sold 5.5 million copies worldwide.

Physical launch sales of Luigi's Mansion 3 are actually 140% higher than its predecessor (released way back in March 2013), and that doesn't include digital sales (Nintendo does not share digital figures and digital is not included in this chart).

Don't expect Luigi to hold this record for long though, with Pokémon Sword and Shield set to arrive later this month.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was the best-selling new game this week, but it had to settle for No.2 because Call of Duty: Modern Warfare remains at the top by quite a large margin. It's actually an impressive second week for the shooter, with sales down just 49% from its launch week.

The only other new game in the chart this week is the Disney double-pack featuring the classic Aladdin and The Lion King platformers. The nostalgic set debuts at No.12 and was published by Nighthawk Interactive. It sold best on Switch (representing 48% of sales), followed by PS4 (38%) and then Xbox One (14%). As before, this is just the physical data.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-04-uk-charts-luigis-mansion-3-is-the-biggest-switch-launch-of-2019-so-far

and at 50k+ copies, that puts LM3 at literally 10x the sales of Gears 5's opening (5k).

BANG BANG :leo:

Edited by Bodycount N
45 minutes ago, -GD- said:

wow! i didn't expect such incredible numbers. i will probably cop it tonight. 

If you do, I think Wal-Mart now offers all games for $50 in-store. I've noticed it every time I've gone there that even brand new releases are only marked at $49.99.

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Ike said:

If you do, I think Wal-Mart now offers all games for $50 in-store. I've noticed it every time I've gone there that even brand new releases are only marked at $49.99.

o damn. there's actually one on my way home. yeah, i'll swing by.