Nvidia's next gen Ampere GPUs purportedly 50% faster than Turing at half the power consumption

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Yes he is:

Straight from the horses mouth. And that timetable falls under the existing 10 year span.

Dude.............Nintendo has moved over to nVidia's development tools. They will be using nVidia hardware, their FUTURE hardware, for many years.

There is nothing, no proof, no evidence, no quote, no NOTHING that you have that indicates this is a one-and-done business arrangement.

Nintendo picked the right horse for future GPUs.

That's a journalist's comment... lmao Jensen didn't say that... you fucking idiot :kaz: 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What does any of that have to do with this thread?   What are you even basing any of that off of?  There's nothing that indicates that this has or will have anything to do with Nintendo or t

A locked thread on a next gen console will be a much smaller hit to performance than what it was to Jaguar CPUs in the current gen consoles...  There's still TONS more CPU to work with there.. and the

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

That's a journalist's comment... lmao Jensen didn't say that... you fucking idiot :kaz: 

In that case, the nVIdia CEO is saying that the relationship will last two decades.

So.........even better, and even MUCH more logical to come to the conclusion that they will be using nVIdia's future GPU technology.

There's really not much for you to counter with here. Nobody is making the extremely narrow depiction of Nintendo's and nVidia's business relationship..............except you.

Everything else indicates otherwise.

Nintendo is going to use future nVidia GPU tech. That's not an outlandish statement, that's practical and logical.

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce said:

Windows background processes are pretty negligible hits to the CPU, as are most background processes because they aren't actively requesting CPU time. Memory is the thing that's going to be hit by background processes, not the CPU. A locked thread is going to have a far greater impact on the performance ceiling than background processes in Windows.

We're seeing more and more support for pre-compiled shaders on PC, but that's not anything really new anyway. It's just a traditional stress on the CPU. More cores and more threads will always be better, but for the 6/12 to hit the wall that the 6600k did is a lot different than what you're talking about here.

Devs have had 7 of the 8 cores in the PS4/XB1 available to them for years now.

Games will be more multi-threaded than before, sure, but you're exaggerating the difference between 6/12 and 7/14 or even 8/16. What made the 6600k so terrible was that the difference between 4/4 and 6/6 is a 50% increase in cores/threads with only 4 cores to spread the increased workload around, where as 6/12 vs. 8/16 is only 33% and 6/12 vs. 7/14 is only 15%. It's a significantly smaller jump with more cores/threads to spread the workload around. Like a core in the 4/4 sees a 12.5% increased workload compared to a 6/6, but a core in a 6/12 only sees a 2.5% increase compared to a 7/14.

So at what point next gen do you think the 2700X starts to pass the 3600 in performance?

A locked thread on a next gen console will be a much smaller hit to performance than what it was to Jaguar CPUs in the current gen consoles...  There's still TONS more CPU to work with there.. and the OS itself will be better threaded.

Pre-compiled shaders have been a thing for forever on PC... however there are shaders that need to be generated at runtime as needed.  It IS a traditional workload on the CPU... but it's also one which doesn't affect the consoles in the same way.  But now you have a MUCH more capable console CPU... and yet PC still has the traditional overhead.. That's not going away.  It's actually going to become more prevalent.. games are no longer split into cut up levels... they're massive open worlds constantly streaming in new assets and textures.  This is where the difference starts to happen.  Having more threads and being able to generate and create shader permutations will be more important to the fluidity of the experience than ever before.

We're already seeing games which saturate 8 cores.  4 core 8 threads don't necessarily give the best performance in the latest games.  You might get decent framerates, then stuttering at times.  Red Dead 2 and Detroit are just 2 recent examples on lower core count CPUs having issues.  Despite having 8 threads.. some games are coded to better take advantage of logical cores, and others which do better with more threads (hyper threading)... and some scale better with frequency where the core counts don't matter as much.  I see next gen games as requiring more threads due to the direction game design is going.

These next gen consoles have 2x the threads of the current consoles, and are far more potent...  If you don't think that's going to have an impact on CPUs which don't even have the same number of logical cores to begin with... then I dunno what to tell you.  Again... he may squeak by with.. console performance... but then in that case... he'd just game on console. 

I'm not saying having more cores makes up for having a worse architecture... but I bet there will be games where the 2700x performs better.  Book that. B) 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, jehurey said:

In that case, the nVIdia CEO is saying that the relationship will last two decades.

So.........even better, and even MUCH more logical to come to the conclusion that they will be using nVIdia's future GPU technology.

There's really not much for you to counter with here. Nobody is making the extremely narrow depiction of Nintendo's and nVidia's business relationship..............except you.

Everything else indicates otherwise.

Nintendo is going to use future nVidia GPU tech. That's not an outlandish statement, that's practical and logical.

No... he's saying he BELIEVES it could... due to Nintendo's history.

Nobody is saying they aren't dumbass..  There's just absolutely NO reason to believe that it will use Ampere... yet.

You're whole argument boils down to... "Nintendo will use a future Nvidia GPU... and they're getting better... YAY for Nintendo"

GASP! :wow: 

:mj: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

No... he's saying he BELIEVES it could... due to Nintendo's history.

Nobody is saying they aren't dumbass..  There's just absolutely NO reason to believe that it will use Ampere... yet.

You're whole argument boils down to... "Nintendo will use a future Nvidia GPU... and they're getting better... YAY for Nintendo"

GASP! :wow: 

:mj: 

His beliefs carry more weight than yours.

Right? There's no way you have a chance in that context. lol

Just now, jehurey said:

His beliefs carry more weight than yours.

Right? There's no way you have a chance in that context. lol

What he says DOES have more weight than what I say... which is important.. because what he's saying specifically doesn't confirming anything.  He's stating what he thinks will happen... not what is confirmed to be happening.

That was easy LOL

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

What he says DOES have more weight than what I say... which is important.. because what he's saying specifically doesn't confirming anything.  He's stating what he thinks will happen... not what is confirmed to be happening.

That was easy LOL

That they expect to work with them for a long time, and he clearly means that it will be more than just the Switch.

You have NOTHING that proves your theory.

And your belief are worth nothing.

nVIdia's CEO making a public statement like that, as the head of a publicly traded company.........will always carry more weight than yours.

If only you had somebody else's opinion that backs up your PREDICTION of Nintendo's-nVidia's business relation that would help give your theory any weight.

But, alas, you don't.

It was easy for you.......because you had nothing to use. Makes your post quite short because of that.

A successor to units based on the Turing architecture, Nvidia’s next-generation GPU based on the Ampere architecture is to adopt 7-nanometer technology, which would lead to a 50 percent increase in graphics performance while halving power consumption, the note said.

I don't think that's how that works.  Halfing the die size from 14nm  to 7nm does not equal 50% greater performance. 

If that were true, the RX 590 would be a powerful GPU and for that matter so would have the Radeon VII.  

18 minutes ago, DarkXaero said:

You really gonna take shots at me here knowing that I don't post here, after ragequitting our Discord server over nothing? :mj:

I knew you'd see it eventually..  I mean... I WOULD have gone to the discord and said it directly to you.. but then I'd have to deal with a bunch of whining that I was dragging the amazing quality of discourse at "Bitchtopia" down again because we were back on that topic.  So instead I got you to come here. :hest: 

34 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I knew you'd see it eventually..  I mean... I WOULD have gone to the discord and said it directly to you.. but then I'd have to deal with a bunch of whining that I was dragging the amazing quality of discourse at "Bitchtopia" down again because we were back on that topic.  So instead I got you to come here. :hest: 

Only reason I've seen this is because DC reminded me. But carry on, you can continue hiding in your echo chamber here. Hopefully no one here triggers you to leave over a harmless comment. :cmpunk1:

7 minutes ago, DarkXaero said:

Only reason I've seen this is because DC reminded me. But carry on, you can continue hiding in your echo chamber here. Hopefully no one here triggers you to leave over a harmless comment. :cmpunk1:

I'm not hiding dude.  You're right.. it was completely harmless... yet it showed me exactly the type of shit I could look forward to when I talk about that stuff.. and it was quite clear who you were referring to with the "quality dropping lately" comment.  You meant every word of it...lmao don't come here and try acting like you didn't. :tom:  But hey guess what?  It's perfectly alright with me if you're tired of that in your server.  Dynamite talks with you guys about all the stupid shit you talk about... he enjoys that shit.. but sorry, I'm not interested in talking with you clowns about random life shit.

So that's basically the end of that.  It's no problem.  Better for everyone :shrug: 

6 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

lol he called this place an echo chamber

Which is ironic because he went full bitch mode because Dynamite and I were (for the second time) talking about how current gen consoles would be around the power of a 2080/Super in the server..instead of talking about it through PMs.  He disagrees... then starts complaining.  Obviously that's something that I'm interested in talking about... so if it's going to be like that every time I want to talk about that stuff and he can't handle disagreeing with me.. there's no sense for me being there.  So I left... lol.  It's that simple.

Edited by Remij_
5 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Why do you guys want to actually talk to each other lol

They basically shoot the shit and talk over there like friends..which is cool.  Fine... but I'm not really about that despite liking them all.  So when I'm there.. and I talk about next gen consoles, gaming, or PC, Nvidia/AMD stuff.. it's starting to be "oh this shit again" type shit.  Dude obviously doesn't want the talk to always be about that...especially when he disagrees with what I'm saying.. and since I'm not interested in talking about other shit with them, there's nothing more to say.

Edited by Remij_