Nvidia's next gen Ampere GPUs purportedly 50% faster than Turing at half the power consumption

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What does any of that have to do with this thread?   What are you even basing any of that off of?  There's nothing that indicates that this has or will have anything to do with Nintendo or t

A locked thread on a next gen console will be a much smaller hit to performance than what it was to Jaguar CPUs in the current gen consoles...  There's still TONS more CPU to work with there.. and the

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No... there's literally NOTHING that hints at Nvidia using Ampere in any console from what was posted in this thread.  No indication Nintendo will make a dock... no indication of NOTHING. You're making a completely basis speculation.  

What proof do you have that Nintendo hardware will come in the form of a mobile device?

......for the next decade?

You don't have any.

What proof or indicators do you have that nVidia architecture will not be adopted into ALL their line of GPUs, mobile included?

You DEFINITELY don't have any proof of that, because we know for a fact that nVIdia mobile GPU come from their desktop GPU architecture.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

What proof do you have that Nintendo hardware will come in the form of a mobile device?

......for the next decade?

You don't have any.

What proof or indicators do you have that nVidia architecture will not be adopted into ALL their line of GPUs, mobile included?

You DEFINITELY don't have any proof of that, because we know for a fact that nVIdia mobile GPU come from their desktop GPU architecture.

I don't need proof.  This thread isn't about Nintendo.  You're derailing the thread.

@Cookester15

I don't need proof.  This thread isn't about Nintendo.  You're derailing the thread.

@Cookester15

Nope..........can you point out which of my posts in which I don't speak about nVidia?

This thread is about..........nVidia. Well, Nintendo has a contract with nVIdia. Hence I've been talking about both companies.

And especially in my last post, it was centered entirely around nVidia and their GPU lines. I asked you questions..........that you seem to be avoiding now.

I'll wait.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Nope..........can you point out which of my posts in which I don't speak about nVidia?

This thread is about..........nVidia. Well, Nintendo has a contract with nVIdia. Hence I've been talking about both companies.

And especially in my last post, it was centered entirely around nVidia and their GPU lines. I asked you questions..........that you seem to be avoiding now.

I'll wait.

It's actually about their Ampere GPUs... of which there is no indication of any kind that they will be in a theoretical non-existent Nintendo console that you dreamed up.... None what-so-ever.

You mentioned a 10 year contract.... for Nintendo Switch tegra parts.....

This thread is specifically about Ampere GPUs... and you're speculating what it could mean for Nintendo... with absolutely NO basis that it will ever have anything to do with Nintendo.

You're derailing the thread.

@Cookester15

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

It's actually about their Ampere GPUs... of which there is no indication of any kind that they will be in a theoretical non-existent Nintendo console that you dreamed up.... None what-so-ever.

You mentioned a 10 year contract.... for Nintendo Switch tegra parts.....

This thread is specifically about Ampere GPUs... and you're speculating what it could mean for Nintendo... with absolutely NO basis that it will ever have anything to do with Nintendo.

You're derailing the thread.

@Cookester15

Its about their architecture and manufacturing process.........which would affect ALL nVidia products from this point forward.

Do you have any proof that there is any further development of the Tegra line?

Again. Tegra was based on which architecture again???????????????

Previous nVIdia desktop GPU architecture.

You already know how this works with nVidia.........don't get mad at me because Nintendo has a contract with them, and the other two console manufacturers don't and will be trapped with AMD for the forseeable future.

Just now, jehurey said:

Its about their architecture and manufacturing process.........which would affect ALL nVidia products from this point forward.

Do you have any proof that there is any further development of the Tegra line?

Again. Tegra was based on which architecture again???????????????

Previous nVIdia desktop GPU architecture.

You already know how this works with nVidia.........don't get mad at me because Nintendo has a contract with them, and the other two console manufacturers don't and will be trapped with AMD for the forseeable future.

I don't need proof of anything.  Do YOU have proof that Nintendo is developing a new console or device with Ampere?

No... you don't.  It could just as easily be the next architecture after Ampere...

So no...  Nvidia having a 10 year contract for Tegra parts DOES NOT mean that Nintendo is using Ampere... Sorry.

Just now, Remij_ said:

I don't need proof of anything.  Do YOU have proof that Nintendo is developing a new console or device with Ampere?

No... you don't.  It could just as easily be the next architecture after Ampere...

So no...  Nvidia having a 10 year contract for Tegra parts DOES NOT mean that Nintendo is using Ampere... Sorry.

I know Nintendo will be developing hardware with nVIdia GPU technology.

And they wouldn't use the same technology, or architecture that nVIdia no longer manufactures.

So yeah...........we've established that.

Ampere will be used across all nVIdia GPU lines in the future.........and that will be occuring during the length of Nintendo's 10 year contract.

That's just basing things on the timetable that we are aware of.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I know Nintendo will be developing hardware with nVIdia GPU technology.

And they wouldn't use the same technology, or architecture that nVIdia no longer manufactures.

So yeah...........we've established that.

Ampere will be used across all nVIdia GPU lines in the future.........and that will be occuring during the length of Nintendo's 10 year contract.

That's just basing things on the timetable that we are aware of.

No you don't.  You know they have a 10 year contract for Switch parts.

What you also don't know is that they are using Ampere specifically...

So you've established NOTHING.

Really, do you know that?  How do you know?  Where is your proof?

That's.... all completely baseless.

Where's the contract that says Nintendo is using Nvidia's GPUs for their post Switch console?

Edited by Remij_

No you don't.  You know they have a 10 year contract for Switch parts.

What you also don't know is that they are using Ampere specifically...

So you've established NOTHING.

Really, do you know that?  How do you know?  Where is your proof?

That's.... all completely baseless.

Where's the contract that says Nintendo is using Nvidia's GPUs for their post Switch console?

Ampere is going to be the upcoming default nVidia architecture, along with the change in manufacturing process.

Nintendo has a 10 year contract that ties them to nVIdia GPUs.

That is established.

Hey...........if nVIdia is creating ALTERNATE GPU architectures and alternate manufacturing processes.........you let me know. Maybe Nintendo could use the alternate.:shrug:

Edited by jehurey
5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Wait a minute.............are you saying that Nintendo's contract with nVIdia was going to be manufacturing GPU ONLY for the existing Switch hardware as we know it?

And that they would just make the same hardware with the same GPU from 2017 to 2027.

Is that what you are claiming?

That's a Yes or No question.

Edited by jehurey
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Wait a minute.............are you saying that Nintendo's contract with nVIdia was going to be manufacturing GPU ONLY for the existing Switch hardware as we know it?

And that they would just make the same hardware with the same GPU from 2017 to 2027.

Is that what you are claiming?

That's a Yes or No question.

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm saying.  Their contract is to produce Switch components for the next 10 years....

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm saying.  Their contract is to produce Switch components for the next 10 years....

Yeah, that's EASILY proven wrong.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/349540/nvidia-expects-20-year-relationship-with-nintendo-thanks-to

Last week, Nvidia revealed during an earnings call that its gaming revenue increased by $463 million compared to Q2, according to NeoGAF. "I guess you could also say that Nintendo contributed a fair amount to that growth," Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said during the call.

Huang pointed out that Nvidia has been working with Nintendo for two years on the Switch and "several hundred engineering years have gone into the development of this incredible game console."

But Huang also highlighted a key point about Nvidia's relationship with Nintendo. Nintendo is well known for investing in hardware architecture for the long term. So he believes it will be the same for the Switch going forward; he envisions, "a relationship that will likely last two decades."

It's a fair point to make. If the Switch is successful, then Nintendo will certainly want to follow it up with a Switch 2 in 5-8 years time. Nvidia will be front of the line to provide the SoC for that machine, too. And even if the Switch fails, Nintendo will likely want to maintain the relationship it has built with Nvidia's engineering team to help create whatever comes next, even if it ends up being a smartphone.

nVIdia CEO is clearly talking about different hardware generations, and not the 2017 Switch hardware being the ONLY GPU hardware they will ever manufacture for them.

You've been Checkmate'd. This is direct proof that nVIdia expects to work with Nintendo on multiple forms of GPU generations for a long time.

Like I said...............that 10 year contract is looking better and better as time passes by.

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yeah, that's EASILY proven wrong.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/349540/nvidia-expects-20-year-relationship-with-nintendo-thanks-to

nVIdia CEO is clearly talking about different hardware generations, and not the 2017 Switch hardware being the ONLY GPU hardware they will ever manufacture for them.

You've been Checkmate'd. This is direct proof that nVIdia expects to work with Nintendo on multiple forms of GPU generations for a long time.

Like I said...............that 10 year contract is looking better and better as time passes by.

LOL nope.  There's nothing there that mentions a contract is in place to produce the GPU for their next console.

In fact... he actually confirms that there currently ISN'T... He said that he "believes it would be the same for Switch going forward"

Nvidia would be first in line.... not that Nvidia already has that contract in place.. LOL  Thanks for posting that.

Also.. he said 5-8 years time... the Switch isn't even 3 years old yet... 5-8 years time....  LOL that would put it a couple years away yet.  Again.. NOTHING to indicate that Ampere will ever have anything to do with a Nintendo console.

Absolutely NOTHING you've posted has indicated anything of the sort :francis: 

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Remij_ said:

LOL nope.  There's nothing there that mentions a contract is in place to produce the GPU for their next console.

In fact... he actually confirms that there currently ISN'T... He said that Nvidia would be first in line.... not that Nvidia already has that contract in place.. LOL  Thanks for posting that.

Also.. he said 5-8 years time... the Switch isn't even 3 years old yet... Jensen said 5-8 years time....  LOL that would put it a couple years away yet.  Again.. NOTHING to indicate that Ampere will ever have anything to do with a Nintendo console.

Absolutely NOTHING you've posted has indicated anything of the sort :francis: 

Yes he does.

he clearly mentions a Switch 2..........which would be a different hard generation.

You clearly said that nVIdia is contracted to make the SAME GPU for 10 years.

You just said.

he is clearly talking NOT JUST new hardware generations, but even if Nintendo changes what type of hardware platform they want to deliver games on.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yes he does.

he clearly mentions a Switch 2..........which would be a different hard generation.

You clearly said that nVIdia is contracted to make the SAME GPU for 10 years.

You just said.

he is clearly talking NOT JUST new hardware generations, but even if Nintendo changes what type of hardware platform they want to deliver games on.

Nvidia is contracted for Switch... the Switch 2 isn't contracted yet....  Jensen said he BELIEVES that it will last 2 decades going forward... based off Nintendo usually committing to hardware for extended periods.. Like the 3DS and DS...  They specifically say "if it's successful" which means they can see support going for years and years...

That's in no way a confirmation that they have a contract in place for 10-20 years....  They have a contract for 10 years for the Switch... anything beyond the Switch is purely speculation.

Edited by Remij_

Nvidia is contracted for Switch... the Switch 2 isn't contracted yet....  Jensen said he BELIEVES that it will last 2 decades going forward... based off Nintendo usually committing to hardware for extended periods.. Like the 3DS and DS...

That's in no way a confirmation that they have a contract in place for 10-20 years....  They have a contract for 10 years for the Switch... anything beyond the Switch is purely speculation.

He's clearly talking about Switch 2.

I'm not taking your INTERPRETATION of what he said.

he is clearly talking about a Switch 2...........and that automatically debunks your claim, outright.

You're not winning this argument.........even you know that you don't have anything to work with.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

He's clearly talking about Switch 2.

I'm not taking your INTERPRETATION of what he said.

he is clearly talking about a Switch 2...........and that automatically debunks your claim, outright.

You're not winning this argument.........even you know that you don't have anything to work with.

No he's not clearly talking about Switch 2.

You don't even know if a Switch 2 is going to be a thing...  You're SPECULATING.

He said "But Huang also highlighted a key point about Nvidia's relationship with Nintendo. Nintendo is well known for investing in hardware architecture for the long term. So he believes it will be the same for the Switch going forward; he envisions, "a relationship that will likely last two decades."

I made the important bits bigger.  Words like "he believes" and "he envisions" and "likely" are not confirmations of a contract already in place...

You're basically pulling shit out of your ass.  You have NO confirmation that Nintendo will use Ampere in a future console.  None whatsoever.  

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No he's not clearly talking about Switch 2.

You don't even know if a Switch 2 is going to be a thing...  You're SPECULATING.

He said "But Huang also highlighted a key point about Nvidia's relationship with Nintendo. Nintendo is well known for investing in hardware architecture for the long term. So he believes it will be the same for the Switch going forward; he envisions, "a relationship that will likely last two decades."

I made the important bits bigger.  Words like "he believes" and "he envisions" and "likely" are not confirmations of a contract already in place...

You're basically pulling shit out of your ass.  You have NO confirmation that Nintendo will use Ampere in a future console.  None whatsoever.  

Yes he is:

It's a fair point to make. If the Switch is successful, then Nintendo will certainly want to follow it up with a Switch 2 in 5-8 years time.

Straight from the horses mouth. And that timetable falls under the existing 10 year span.

Dude.............Nintendo has moved over to nVidia's development tools. They will be using nVidia hardware, their FUTURE hardware, for many years.

There is nothing, no proof, no evidence, no quote, no NOTHING that you have that indicates this is a one-and-done business arrangement.

Nintendo picked the right horse for future GPUs.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No.  That's not entirely true.  It's not like Windows isn't running in the background on PCs or anything

Windows background processes are pretty negligible hits to the CPU, as are most background processes because they aren't actively requesting CPU time. Memory is the thing that's going to be hit by background processes, not the CPU. A locked thread is going to have a far greater impact on the performance ceiling than background processes in Windows.

31 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Also, on PC shaders have to be compiled.. and doing so during at runtime can put a lot of stress on the CPU.  Having more cores/threads helps manage and alleviate that.

We're seeing more and more support for pre-compiled shaders on PC, but that's not anything really new anyway. It's just a traditional stress on the CPU. More cores and more threads will always be better, but for the 6/12 to hit the wall that the 6600k did is a lot different than what you're talking about here.

35 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Despite being clocked slower and having far less memory than their PC counterparts.. these Zen 2 console CPUs will be much faster than the Jaguar CPUs in current gen consoles.  Those have 8 cores / 8 threads.. and those also had 2 cores dedicated to the OS.  So games are STILL going to be more multi threaded than before.

Devs have had 7 of the 8 cores in the PS4/XB1 available to them for years now.

Games will be more multi-threaded than before, sure, but you're exaggerating the difference between 6/12 and 7/14 or even 8/16. What made the 6600k so terrible was that the difference between 4/4 and 6/6 is a 50% increase in cores/threads with only 4 cores to spread the increased workload around, where as 6/12 vs. 8/16 is only 33% and 6/12 vs. 7/14 is only 15%. It's a significantly smaller jump with more cores/threads to spread the workload around. Like a core in the 4/4 sees a 12.5% increased workload compared to a 6/6, but a core in a 6/12 only sees a 2.5% increase compared to a 7/14.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

6/12 will cut it for a while.. but not long.

So at what point next gen do you think the 2700X starts to pass the 3600 in performance?