I bought one of those DualShock 4 back button attachment things

Curiosity got the better of me.  They've been out of stock ever since they were announced here.  Couldn't find them anywhere.  Then a homie at EBgames told me they got a few in and asked if I wanted it, so I said sure.  I like collecting controllers and thought I should give it a chance.  So.. I'm gonna give an honest review of it.

Overall, I like it.  The quality feels nice, and the screen is actually pretty handy to have (as much as I was making fun of it, I still think it's a bit too big for what it is) but the fact that it's a self contained unit and works independently of the OS means that it works perfectly with PC out of the box.  I would love to see Steam somehow detect when one is connected to the controller (probably not possible) and offer the ability to program other keys to them, but that's not likely to happen, and not any fault of the product.  It does what it sets out to do.

So the quality is there.. I like the click of the buttons.  It feels quite nice to me.. and honestly it fits perfectly where my fingers land.  But there IS a small problem.  Holding the controller normally with my index fingers on the trigger buttons and using my middle fingers for the back buttons feels perfect... but hitting the L1 and R1 becomes harder and you basically have to shift your grip on the controller.  So you're gaining 2 buttons, but sort of losing 2 buttons at the same time in a way.  I could almost see myself just setting the back buttons to L1 and R1 and having the controller feel really nice.

What it did reveal to me though, is just how much I'd love for next gen controllers to have analog L1 and R1 buttons where the triggers would normally be, and then the actual triggers where the back buttons are.  To me that would feel perfect.

It's kind of disappointing to me that the XSX controller doesn't really look any ergonomically different than the XO controller we have now.  1 set of Back buttons should be standard with next gen consoles... but we're going to be held back by controller BC with DS4 and XO controllers.

The DS5 controller is a bit more of a mystery at this point though.. even though we can assume the same functionality as the DS4 plus some new changes... but we don't know how different it will look ergonomically vs the DS4.  Or whether it will have back buttons as standard.

But yea... I dunno if you guys should spend $30-40 on this though.. unless you're really interested in having some back buttons, but if you are... the quality is good.  3.5/5 :fblike: 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It's a solid attachment. I got two of them, but the only thing I wish is if the screen was in the front. 

Yea exactly.  That front part right under the PS button could have easily been a tiny screen.  Not a huge issue though.

Also, you didn't have any trouble finding them?  The places around here have all been getting tiny amounts in stock I guess since launch.. but they keep selling out almost instantly as they come in.  Maybe Sony underestimated how much people would want them?

I dunno... maybe it's just a Canada thing and game stores aren't risking buying too much stock anymore?

Edited by Remij_
7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea exactly.  That front part right under the PS button could have easily been a tiny screen.  Not a huge issue though.

Also, you didn't have any trouble finding them?  The places around here have all been getting tiny amounts in stock I guess since launch.. but they keep selling out almost instantly as they come in.  Maybe Sony underestimated how much people would want them?

I dunno... maybe it's just a Canada thing and game stores aren't risking buying too much stock anymore?

I had a bit of trouble. Found them at a Walmart about 5 miles away from my house for $24.96 a piece, they only had two left. Nothing at Best Buy, Target, other Walmarts, GameStop, etc.

I think Sony definitely under estimated these things, or they just didn't make a whole lot.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

:pffft:

I also bought an Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 today as well.. :vince: 

Still haven't tried it yet.  The packaging is so premium I dunno if I ever want to open it :dwill:

(I heard lots of people are having issues with the face buttons on them though... but w/e, if I have issues I'll just return it :shrug: )

1 minute ago, Bodycount N said:

elite killer

tlhbo

LOL.. I just finished unboxing and trying out my Elite Series 2... and lmao the DS4+attachment feels like fisher price shit compared to it.  I honestly can't even believe how premium and perfect the Series 2 controller is.  Not even in the same stratosphere.. don't get it twisted.

26 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LOL.. I just finished unboxing and trying out my Elite Series 2... and lmao the DS4+attachment feels like fisher price shit compared to it.  I honestly can't even believe how premium and perfect the Series 2 controller is.  Not even in the same stratosphere.. don't get it twisted.

until they patch out PC compatibility, the elite controller 2 is a useless piece of overpriced shit. Raped for buying that piece of crap, $250 wasted.

:drake:

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

until they patch out PC compatibility, the elite controller 2 is a useless piece of overpriced shit. Raped for buying that piece of crap, $250 wasted.

:drake:

Yea... they're gonna patch out xinput compatibility...:mj: 

Best controller there is. :whew: 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Yea... they're gonna patch out xinput compatibility...:mj: 

Best controller there is. :whew: 

they should if they want to be respected in this business.

as long as they have PC compat they're a joke platform and no one will take them seriously.

this is why the competitive scene has moved to playstation. No one wants to be grouped with PC cheaters/scum. This is why PS4 has killed Xflop and no one wants to be associated with a garbage fake PC/dumping ground fake platform like xbox.

PC killed Xbox.

13 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

I can't find this fucking thing anywhere.

Yea it's always sold out.  The only reason I got mine was cause my friend let me know they were in.  He said they're only getting a handful at a time.