Getting new PC stuff, what do you think?

2 minutes ago, Cell said:

My nerd friends rip on me for having 32 gigs of Ram. 

Me when I open several intense programs on my PC and still have gigs to spare:

giphy.gif

Being able to fit a 3rd of a PS5/XSX game disc completely in memory alone :geese: 

Edited by Remij_
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, that makes sense. I even checked Newegg and they had it for $104 so I was confused, but I'm just dumb.

I've got 8 copies of WoW open because I'm farming the in-game equivalent of $500 USD to buy a mount they're getting rid of in a few months because it lets me use the auction house on the go. I know wh

I'm just looking to keep price down for now, I can always get more later. 

2 minutes ago, Cell said:

My nerd friends rip on me for having 32 gigs of Ram. 

RGB and excessive amounts of RAM are basically the definition of being a computer nerd. I bet your friends aren't actually nerds and prefer the company of women over computer parts. :pffft:

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce said:

RGB and excessive amounts of RAM are basically the definition of being a computer nerd. I bet your friends aren't actually nerds and prefer the company of women over computer parts. :pffft:

I'm the only one that's married. :bena:

Anyway Hot Sauce aren't you a fucking software developer? Who are you trying to kid bruh. 

Edited by Cell
  • Ben 1

Yeah there's definitely a difference in performance, I mean it's not huge but the IPC is still a fair margin above my 2600K and I had that thing overclocked to 4.4Ghz while this is at default frequencies on the stock cooler. 

I was going to get the 3600X but then I would need to buy a cooler so I figured just swing for the 3700X, the one included with it is pretty good and it's RGB so fuck it. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah there's definitely a difference in performance, I mean it's not huge but the IPC is still a fair margin above my 2600K and I had that thing overclocked to 4.4Ghz while this is at default frequencies on the stock cooler. 

I was going to get the 3600X but then I would need to buy a cooler so I figured just swing for the 3700X, the one included with it is pretty good and it's RGB so fuck it. 

What are you testing with/basing that on?

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Doom and Forza so far. 

At low resolutions I presume?

I can't even remember how those games scale over multiple cores tbh..  but yea, you'll see only modest improvements until games are built to take full advantage of that CPU.

10 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

At low resolutions I presume?

I can't even remember how those games scale over multiple cores tbh..  but yea, you'll see only modest improvements until games are built to take full advantage of that CPU.

I mean even at 1440p there's definitely an uptick but now I should be able to record/stream and shit without giving it a second thought. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cell said:

I'm the only one that's married. :bena:

Anyway Hot Sauce aren't you a fucking software developer? Who are you trying to kid bruh. 

I've got 8 copies of WoW open because I'm farming the in-game equivalent of $500 USD to buy a mount they're getting rid of in a few months because it lets me use the auction house on the go. I know where I am on the cool/nerd spectrum. :ben:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So whats the deal with Threadripper, and are we expecting anything to come in from Intel or AMD that will be the new "sweetspot power per dollar" king CPU?

Is this threadripper CPU supposed to be at this price? Its already close to two years old, right?

epOOclR.png

45 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So whats the deal with Threadripper, and are we expecting anything to come in from Intel or AMD that will be the new "sweetspot power per dollar" king CPU?

Is this threadripper CPU supposed to be at this price? Its already close to two years old, right?

I think the 3700X is kind of that power per dollar king, especially when you consider not only its gaming capability but its overall capability for everything else as well. I mean it's only 65 Watts and I got mine for $292, and I think the biggest sell is the cooler it comes with. It's not only RGB, it's comparable to aftermarket coolers and extremely effective, you really don't need anything else unless you want to get into some more heavy handed overclocking. I mean if you look at the 9700k for example it's $90 more expensive, it's a 95 Watt CPU vs. a 65 Watt CPU, it's 8 cores and 8 threads vs. 8 cores and 16 threads and sure its IPC is a little better but it doesn't even come with a cooler, and even if it did Intel's coolers are absolute garbage. 

It's probably the best all around CPU in production. For the Threadripper that price seems well below market but it's understandable because it's already been replaced by the 3000 Series Threadripper's, not to mention the consumer level Ryzen 9's have pretty much overtaken it. 

37 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So I just found out that PCI 4.0 has been a thing for a bit now. Wouldn't it be a good idea to go full futureproof and get one of those? Im now considering that for my next build.

The x570 board I got is, and yeah it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it. I think the only PCI-E 4.0 GPU out now is the 5700 XT. 

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The x570 board I got is, and yeah it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it. I think the only PCI-E 4.0 GPU out now is the 5700 XT. 

ahh i forgot you went a different mobo than the one in the OP. The X570 has M2 PCIE 4.0 ports as well right? I feel like SATA based SSDs are a thing of the past.

36 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The GPU isn't what needs future proofing... it's storage.

Edited by Remij_
On 2020-04-18 at 5:03 AM, jehurey said:

epOOclR.png

That's a steal of a deal for a 2950X Threadripper :wow:  ... but it's MicroCenter so I'm not too surprised. 

That CPU is at least $600 on Amazon and Newegg, it initially retailed for $1000 in 2018. 

The X399 motherboards are crazy expensive though.