Since everyone else is doing it.. here's my Top 50 games

10. Demon's Souls 

220px-Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg

What else really needs to be said about this game that hasn't been said already.  I completely understand the toss up some people have including either this game or Dark Souls, or Bloodborne highest in their lists.  For me though, there's no fucking doubt which is the king... and that's the one that started it all.  I absolutely adore this game.  I love the world/character tendency systems more than you can imagine.  The game innovated on so many levels, with such systems, as well as the asynchronous MP system where other players can either help you or hinder you by leaving cryptic messages.. as well as the infamous boss fight which pits you against an online human opponent as the Boss.

Those are all huge aspects of the game of course, but the unforgiving nature of the game harkened back to older days of 8/16 bit games that did the same.  Usually rushing things or being unprepared would result in your downfall.. and it was rarely the game's fault.  This is all connected by the environments.  The Nexus hub is a brilliantly designed hub area, which has it's own secrets to discover, and takes you through beautifully crafted and designed levels which vary greatly in design.  This game literally has some of my favorite designs and levels ever... and I think the Tower of Latria is well recognized as being almost iconic in the way of atmosphere.

The other huge aspect about this game was the feeling of accomplishment when you succeeded or progressed.  It's one of those games where if you stuck with it.. the payoff was great.  I don't really need to go into much detail here... there are people who like challenges and persevering, and there's people who prefer to be guided with minimal challenge.  This game definitely paid off in spades for those who like being challenged.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

6. Super Mario World     Yea.. this was a tough decision.  Between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.  Both are absolute masterclass.  When SMB3 released, it was amazing no

3. Chrono Trigger     What would happen if a Dream Team of some of the worlds best developers got together and made an RPG?  One that would defy even the highest of expectations..

9. Super Mario Bros 3     This is pretty much a no brainer.  Anyone who was alive and remotely into video games around the time this released knew just how big of a deal it was.  T

9. Super Mario Bros 3

Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

This is pretty much a no brainer.  Anyone who was alive and remotely into video games around the time this released knew just how big of a deal it was.  This game had it all.  New visuals, new physics, new powerups, new boss enemies and a metric shit ton of secrets to discover.  The artstyle is also timeless imo.  This game influenced so many... There's not much else to say about this game other than it's among the very best of the genre.

Absolute classic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, モンキー said:

Demon’s Souls Maiden Astraea boss fight is still one of the best moments in the entire soulsborne series of games.

it is the best fight in the series, the aids babies in the swamp, garl vinland, the music and then it gets even harder cause you can't see shit because of the tears in your eyes if you are a crybitch like me :mjcry: 

I think it's also one of the best boss fights in general. A top boss fight list is something we haven't done yet, I think.

8. Metal Gear Solid 3

Mgs3box.jpg

What a thrill :wow2:  One of my favorite stories in gaming... amazingly memorable characters.. incredible boss fights.. gorgeous soundtrack and voice acting... and quite possible the best ending to any video game ever.  MGS3 is peak Metal Gear... Kojima at his best :bow: 

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

340?cb=20150626144110&path-prefix=es

This was such a big fucking deal for me at the time.  You could just tell it was going to be on another level from anything that had come before.  This absolutely massive 3D world with all the promise of secrets and mystery that you knew a Zelda game would offer.  Wrapped in some of the finest visuals for the time.  I was the first to get this game in my group of friends.  We all played games together so much and we would take turns playing and figuring out strats and experiencing these kinds of games together.  That's one thing I really loved about my close group of friends I had growing up.. we all shared in what each of us got.. and we tried to spread it out so we all didn't have the same games lol.  It was surprisingly effective and we all managed to be able to play a huge amount of games across many different systems.  I managed to get Zelda before any of my other friends, and when I did, we immediately got together and set out to experience this game in all its glory.

It's one of those things I'll never forget.  It's a masterpiece.. no two ways about it.

• Like 1

Great top 10 so far. I hope Demon’s Souls gets a remake for PS5. 

time for a proper OoT remake too. Give it the RE2 treatment. I want to replay it but the only version I have access to right now is 3DS. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Casual said:

Great top 10 so far. I hope Demon’s Souls gets a remake for PS5. 

time for a proper OoT remake too. Give it the RE2 treatment. I want to replay it but the only version I have access to right now is 3DS. 

OoT is Nintendo’s FFVII Remake. It’s coming at some point. I’d wait for Switch 2 for that one. 

6. Super Mario World

Super-Mario-World-SNES.jpg

Yea.. this was a tough decision.  Between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.  Both are absolute masterclass.  When SMB3 released, it was amazing no doubt... but due to how late SMB3 came to NA, it wasn't that long after that Super Mario World would hit..  SMB3 was still fresh in my mind, but upon seeing SMW for the first time at a friends place, before I even had a Super Nintendo... it was undeniably superior in every way, and I knew I had to have it.  The 16bit visuals were on another level completely.. the mosaic transition effects and scrolling capabilities of the SNES allowed them to create incredibly detailed worlds and levels not possible before.  This stuff was very impressive for the time.  And of course, the overworld, the music, Yoshi, and Haunted houses.. all tied in with new moves and abilities with some of the finest controls ever.

This, much like many SNES iterations of classic franchises was a game worthy of the name. :bow: 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I got back and forth so often over whether I prefer the aesthetic of SMB3 or W. Worlds endgame worlds especially are awesome. From the forest onwards it’s all bangers. I think I prefer the early and middle worlds in 3. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Ike said:

OoT is Nintendo’s FFVII Remake. It’s coming at some point. I’d wait for Switch 2 for that one. 

For sure. Though I don’t know if I would want OoT to be expanded on as much. I’d be fine with them tweaking some overworlds quests but I’d want them to keep the temples true to the original. 

For reals though, why hasn’t the cape come back yet? We got the tanooki suit in 3D Land but we’ve yet to get the feather in anything but World. It’s legit the best power up in any Mario. 

• Like 1

5. Resident Evil Remake

Resident_Evil_2002_cover.jpg

Welcome to the top 5 boys.

To speak about this.. I first have to speak about the original.  The original game always will hold a special place in my heart.. because the way I learned about it was from a friend who had a PS1 and made a VHS tape of some of the PS1 games he had so I could see how awesome it was.  We lived far apart, so I wasn't really able to go and see him.. so he made me this tape and gave it to me at school.  He'd always talk about how amazing it was, and how mature the games were.

So I got home, threw the tape in the VHS and started watching in amazement.  There were lots of classic games there... he had recorded Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden 2, Suikoden, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, among others... and of course... Resident Evil.  Seeing that intro for the first time... it was like a movie.  The game had this maturity and mystery about it.  And at the time... it was scary as fuck.  So we talked about it and he was telling me how awesome it was and certain things that happened, and that you could play as two characters and the story would change depending on who you chose.

Seeing the video was all I needed to see.  Little did I know that after getting my own PS1, and playing that game, how much of a big deal that franchise would become to me, and to the world.

So when the PS2 came out, I got it day 1, as I knew I was going to... but I was also interested in the Gamecube and Xbox.  I was interested in both, but knew I'd only be able to buy one for the foreseeable future.  When I first heard about REmake.. I'm sure it was the same way most people did.. and that's through video game magazines.  

This was the first screen I ever saw:

large.jpg

That right there was enough.  Reading that this was coming exclusively to Gamecube made it absolutely a no brainer.  I would buy a Gamecube specifically for this game if no other...

And I did... and what I played, was undoubtedly the prettiest, most detailed remake of a game I had ever seen.  They made it darker, grittier, harder, scarier and much more mature.  They made it familiar, with just the right amount of changes and tweaks to make the experience completely fresh.  The additions they made only added to the experience.

This was one of those perfect storm type games where everything just came together perfectly.

This is one of the greatest games of all time.  One of the greatest horror games of all time.  One of the greatest franchises of all time.  Top 5 ever. :bow: 

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Crimson Heads are one of the best additions to any remake. Fuck those things were scary. 

It's unbelievable how much tension they added to that game.

Absolutely BRILLIANT addition.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

71K8-N+Q4+L._AC_SX466_.jpg

I'm sad that I couldn't include this game in my top 3 to be honest.  It's deserving enough.

It's unbelievable just how incredible of an advancement this game was over the previous games.  Of course, that's compounded by Zelda 2 being a very different game from it's predecessor.. but the return to form here was just incredible.  This is exactly the type of game you'd expect from the "Super" Nintendo.  It took the core gameplay from the original and ramped it up to 11.  No longer was it a room-by-room scroller, it was a huge interconnected world, with tons of new enemies, items, weapons, abilities, and secrets everywhere.

The visuals of this game are timeless to me.  The sprites are amazing, the game moves and flows perfectly.  The puzzles and dungeons were incredible... and to top it off.. there was an entire dark world as well, which added to the craziness.  This game really did feel like an adventure.  I fucking LOVE the way this game starts.  Link sleeping in his bed, hearing the rain pouring outside.  Link seeing his uncle setting out to Hyrule castle to confront Agahnim after hearing a plea from Zelda.  Link fearing the worst and following him out into the rainy darkness.

The whole setting is perfect to me.  Finding the secret entrance to the castle and then getting the sword from your dying uncle in the secret passage.  Setting out to complete what his uncle couldn't.. and getting caught up in something much bigger.  I fucking love it.  This game literally has it all.  Beautiful visuals, classic music, incredible gameplay, amazing value.  Make no mistake.. this is one of the best games ever created.. and it deserves a top 3 spot... but I can't put it in mine unfortunately.

I can say though... that Zelda is probably the best franchise ever created.  It's only challenged by Mario in my eyes.  They're both almost equal to me in importance... I almost can't choose between them.

• aitch 1