So what's happening with FFXVI

This is by far the longest time ever that the series has gone without a mainline FF being announced. Been 3.5 years since XV release and we haven't heard a whisper about XVI. It's very clearly a next gen game but what is everyone's expectations? Is Square just waiting for the proper Next Gen console reveals to announce it and if so, how far away from release is it? 2021?

I think they don't want to meet the same fate of 13 and 15, so they're probably taking their sweet time making sure all the right buttons are hit. I'm hoping they go for something more similar to ff9 for 16. 

• Like 1

That’s the problem with remakes the scale of ffvii. It just takes time away from the main games. Vii was fine and it craved that itch But I’d rather had just have had a new game regardless of how it turned out. While it’s not xvi, it clearly was treated as such by square with the budget and staffing I’m sure. Now we have to wait another several years for 16 to finally materialize.

as for expectations, I’m sure it’ll be fine. Their track record has been a 9/10 for me going by the past 15 years.

XII was amazing,

XIiI was pretty average, but xiii-2 was fantastic. Xiii-3 was pretty good for what it was.

Xiv: A realm reborn as well as the expansions heavensward, stormblood and Shadowbringers were incredible and together it’s a masterpiece and makes xiv top 3 ff material 

XV while flawed I thought was pretty good, including the 3 episodes which fleshed out the characters some more

And vii turned out better than I think anyone ever expected.

Overall I think xvi will be another must play banger. The series stumbled some before and after the years of xiiis release, but those days are clearly long past 

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah but if they dedicated everyone to FF7 part 2 imagine how much quicker it would be released :smugcena:

I think it'll be released quicker hopefully since they have a lot of assets now and are using UE4. Hopefully no more than 2 years max.

21 hours ago, Alphonse said:

I think they don't want to meet the same fate of 13 and 15, so they're probably taking their sweet time making sure all the right buttons are hit. I'm hoping they go for something more similar to ff9 for 16. 

damn bro, yes yes yes. give me an oldschool FF for a change. we've all seen the 3d graphics demos, corridor walking, open world bs. let's get back to the roots just for once and see how it goes. :glad: 

• Thanks 1

imagine pre-rendered graphics FF :gasp:  its actually what everyone wants. focus on story, character building, side quests, exploration, make it oldschool turn based. 

I think people will lose their shit but devs nowadays think they have to use every bit and byte in their system to make a beautiful 3d environment. I hate it. 

We have a saying that basically means too much ruins everything. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, kaz said:

imagine pre-rendered graphics FF :gasp:  its actually what everyone wants. focus on story, character building, side quests, exploration, make it oldschool turn based

I think people will lose their shit but devs nowadays think they have to use every bit and byte in their system to make a beautiful 3d environment. I hate it. 

We have a saying that basically means too much ruins everything. 

ugghh no thanks. They'd have to come up with some clever mechanics for a turn based system to work.

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

ugghh no thanks. They'd have to come up with some clever mechanics for a turn based system to work.

yes and? ............................. 

as if thats super hard to do or witchcraft. squareenix is super talented. make it pre-rendered backgrounds like i said and save the time to do 3d bullshit graphics to work on the important stuff like the combat system.

:juggle: