Movie theaters might be going extinct

Trolls 2 has surpassed the entirety of the original film's box office run in just 3 weeks. Couple that with the fact that studios don't have to split profits 50/50 with theaters anymore, do you think we could see more movies releasing on VOD sooner or even day and date with them releasing in theaters? I honestly don't really go to the theater that much. I saw Sonic at the movies with my kids but before that I didn't go to the movies since Endgame more than a year ago. I just don't feel the need to see most movies on the big screen apart from big "event" movies like Tenet releasing this year.

Waste of money anyway. To pay for a family of ~4 = $75 (usually way more) to see a movie if you get a drink lmfao... add candy and popcorn and you’re paying more than you would to buy the movie 5 times. 

i exclusively wait a month or two after the movie releases for a torrent. I support straight to VOD as torrents Will immediately be available. 

tho that movie pass a few years ago was a good deal until the company went bankrupt lol 

the convenience has to outweigh the cost for theaters to work. And it’s always more convenient to watch it in my home, a subscription service is the only way to make it worth it IMO

Edited by ghostz

It doesn't help that it's so expensive, from the snacks to the tickets and compared to the past you have idiots that can't put their phones down for 90 minutes or have the courtesy to turn the sound off.

Maybe it would be more interesting and worthwhile for people if they turned it into a more eventful place with free access to arcades or other entertainment before and after the movie if you purchase a ticket.

I still like the experience but not as much as I used to.

I still enjoy theaters. I saw Harley Quinn at the Alamo and although it ran me about $125 after tax and tip...which I'll never let happen again lol it was a fun experience. I only ever see big must see movies like John Wick 3, Avengers, and Star Wars in theaters. The simple fact is not all movies are worth a trip to the theater anyway. I saw that movie Onward on Disney + and that movie was in no way worth the price of a ticket, but I also watched Frozen 1 and 2 because my GF wanted to see them and while not totally my thing, those movies are worth a theater experience. My one regret is waiting for Enter the Spiderverse to his streaming before seeing it. I would love to have seen that in theaters but expected it to suck. 

Dunkirk and 1917 were the last 2 movies I saw in theaters for the audio/visual experience (not including dates). Neither of them would have been anywhere near as effective if I had just watched them at home on my PC monitor or TV. Theaters might became less popular but there will always be a place for them imo.