Sony's SSD spiel is a joke confirmed by a Chinese Epic engineer

dyno thinks changing oil means he can be an expert in computer science let alone gaming development if he read enough wikipedia pages. :kaz: 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're telling him the peak he created is BS (he didn't create a peak)..... meanwhile your entire argument is built around a peak you made up in your head 

I get the impression when DeanoCuck starts posting about sophisticated computer hardware and specs, he actually has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. 

Just now, kazilicious said:

dyno thinks changing oil means he can be an expert in computer science let alone gaming development if he read enough wikipedia pages. :kaz: 

Don't make him call you retarded like he's called everyone else in this thread.:ufdup:

From now on I'm getting all my computer and technology advice from my local mechanic. :aitch:

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

No we get it.  You think we won't need a faster SSD until Xbox gets one.   You also think this peak is static anr won't increase over time.  Yes we know.... you're retarded :danylol: 

This is precisely what it comes down to. If the XSX had a superior SSD we wouldn't hear the end of it. :tom: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

This is precisely what it comes down to. If the XSX had a superior SSD we wouldn't hear the end of it. :tom: 

That's not at all what it comes down to because if it did it would just fall in line with the rest of the system being better, it's not a standout if everything is better. 

Just now, DynamiteCop said:

That's not at all what it comes down to because if it did it would just fall in line with the rest of the system being better, it's not a standout if everything is better. 

That's exactly what it comes down to. :mj: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

No, you're delusional and everyone knows it but you. :rofl: 

This generation is going to be hilarious when you see the the resulting capabilities of these drives produces the identical level of on screen throughput. 

You dumbshits never learn. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop said:

This generation is going to be hilarious when you see the the resulting capabilities of these drives produces the identical level of on screen throughput. 

You dumbshits never learn. 

What's hilarious is that you're extremely upset and unusually uneasy about PS5's vastly superior SSD over Xbox Series X. :tom: 

Edited by lynux3
Just now, lynux3 said:

What's hilarious is that you're extremely upset and unusually uneasy about PS5's vastly superior SSD over Xbox Series X. :tom: 

I'm not upset with the SSD, I'm disappointed by the stupidity in people not being rational or understanding how the ceiling isn't the SSD, it's the GPU.

I'm not upset with the SSD, I'm disappointed by the stupidity in people not being rational or understanding how the ceiling isn't the SSD, it's the GPU.

Dude, you're so butthurt you can't even tell. :D

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Dude, you're so butthurt you can't even tell. :D

I'm butthurt? Are you that oblivious to what's right in front of you? Epic's little demo already reaffirms what I'm saying. 

MB/s of datastreaming requirement on the SSD and already it's limited to a dynamic 1440p resolution at 30 FPS.

Use your head for Christ sakes...

I'm butthurt? Are you that oblivious to what's right in front of you? Epic's little demo already reaffirms what I'm saying. 

MB/s of datastreaming requirement on the SSD and already it's limited to a dynamic 1440p resolution at 30 FPS.

Use your head for Christ sakes...

:tom: 

• Haha 1

0 education whatsoever but acts like einstein. you have been proven wrong countless times on this forum, dyno. never change, man. It's entertainment. 

1 minute ago, kazilicious said:

0 education whatsoever but acts like einstein. you have been proven wrong countless times on this forum, dyno. never change, man. It's entertainment. 

Do I actually need to define what education means for you idiots?

52 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

I'll start here.

You keep dismissing this livestream, do you not understand that those people who were discussing this were Unreal Engine engineers? Literally the people working on this engine, they work for Epic. This is part of Epic's Fast Track for Unreal Engine development which is a multinational effort to educate University students about the industry, engine and its development. These are not some random Chinese people streaming just hypothesizing the function of the engine, these are employees and developers at Epic.

With that said, what they stated is what I've suspected and said since day one, that these datastreams are much more minimalistic than people understand, MB/s and not GB/s, yet. We've been feeding game data to the RAM from 40-60 MB/s drives this generation, drives which are factors of one hundred times slower than what is coming this next-generation, and we're only seeing an increase in CPU function of roughly 4x, we're only seeing a GPU increase of 6-7x, we're only seeing a doubling in total memory and a little more than a doubling in memory bandwidth. 

All these drives are doing is parsing more data into themselves which can be delivered to the memory more effectively and with less obstruction. You can get more to the memory and in lesser time, but what you're delivering still has to be manageable by the rendering pipeline. This all helps to produce a more stable game state which requires less data swapping, but you're still limited by the speed and capacity of the memory, and you're still limited by the GPU. 

Do you remember Ryse? They sacrificed polygonal count on characters and resolution to create an environment without LoD's, this wasn't a data streaming issue, this was a GPU issue. The GPU couldn't handle the polygonal count, resolution plus no LoD's at the same time. The game was 1080p with LoD's and the higher polygonal count, they sacrificed resolution and some character detail to ensure image stability and detail in the environments at all times and at all scales. 

That's the same issue which will come up again, we'll never be in a position where these SSD's are able to supply enough visual data to a scene without hitting a brick wall in rendering. Getting an SSD into these systems was of vital importance but their capability will never be shown because as stated numerous times anything you put into a scene must be able to be rendered by the GPU. We're not at that point in computational power to account for this kind of data transfer to render, you'd need much more RAM and a GPU a multiplier of times more powerful to get the full usefulness out of these devices. 

DetailedAdvancedCutworm-size_restricted.

Ok I think I've heard enough. 

You have no reference point. No benchmark. I've repeatedly said in this thread you're just recycling your Chinese live-stream and quoting big numbers, but what you don't know (or me, for that matter), is how any of what you're talking about it going to transfer to reality. The reality of the SSD being to fast for the rendering capability may well turn out to be true, but an alternative way of looking at is is that the PS5's SSD can supply data as fast as the GPU/CPU can process it. I'm sure you'll counter this with your shitty OP argument, Xbox's slower SSD and better GPU/CPU is overall the better way to go. Might actually be true. What this is doing though, as I've accused you before, is making a vague, broad argument. What about the custom SSD I/O's used on both consoles, how will they alter things? If it did come down to a straight shoot out between the PS5 vs XSX GPU/CPU, How will the PS5's higher frequency affect things? 

Don't waste your time giving me an answer. You don't know the answer. I don't know the answer. Only the people who work programming video games know the answer to these questions. 

What I do know is, these consoles are going to be VERY close in performance and as I said, the winner will come down to consumer confidence and games. Not Teraflop numbers and rendering bottlenecks. Suck it up bitch. :camby:

8 minutes ago, Cell said:

You have no reference point. No benchmark. I've repeatedly said in this thread you're just recycling your Chinese live-stream and quoting big numbers, but what you don't know (or me, for that matter), is how any of what you're talking about it going to transfer to reality. The reality of the SSD being to fast for the rendering capability may well turn out to be true, but an alternative way of looking at is is that the PS5's SSD can supply data as fast as the GPU/CPU can process it. I'm sure you'll counter this with your shitty OP argument, Xbox's slower SSD and better GPU/CPU is overall the better way to go. Might actually be true. What this is doing though, as I've accused you before, is making a vague, broad argument. What about the custom SSD I/O's used on both consoles, how will they alter things? If it did come down to a straight shoot out between the PS5 vs XSX GPU/CPU, How will the PS5's higher frequency affect things? 

Don't waste your time giving me an answer. You don't know the answer. I don't know the answer. Only the people who work programming video games know the answer to these questions. 

What I do know is, these consoles are going to be VERY close in performance and as I said, the winner will come down to consumer confidence and games. Not Teraflop numbers and rendering bottlenecks. Suck it up bitch. :camby:

I don't care if you've had enough because the reality is you haven't said anything this entire time. You've just used wide generalizations and vagaries to displace your total lack of knowledge on what we're discussing to try and pass off a countering argument that you don't actually have. You're presenting opposition for oppositions sake because you want to vehemently defend Sony with absolutely nothing to substantiate it.

The demo on its own is an admission of the problem presenting itself in real time, there's not even an arguable counter position. Undoubtedly hundreds of MB/s of data streaming taking place and the GPU is already buckling using dynamic resolution with a peak of just 1440p and a framerate of 30 FPS.

It's right in front of you, it's real time, it's concession brought to life.

Edited by DynamiteCop
Just now, JONBpc said:

Lmao cows trying so hard to tell themselves series x isn't more powerful . 

Bu bu they are the same !! No they aren't lol . 

It's not even that, they're not even trying to diminish what is happening with the Series X, they're just trying to embellish Sony's SSD in the face of empirical data and real time rendering crippling the system while the SSD isn't even being tapped, and it's moronic. 

I don't care if you've had enough because the reality is you haven't said anything this entire time. You've just used wide generalizations and vagaries to displace your total lack of knowledge on what we're discussing to try and pass off a countering argument that you don't actually have. You're presenting opposition for oppositions sake because you want to vehemently defend Sony with absolutely nothing to substantiate it.

The demo on its own is an admission of the problem presenting itself in real time, there's not even an arguable counter position. Undoubtedly hundreds of MB/s of data streaming taking place and the GPU is already buckling using dynamic resolution with a peak of just 1440p and a framerate of 30 FPS.

It's right in front of you, it's real time, it's concession brought to life.

8 minutes ago, Cell said:

Don't waste your time giving me an answer. You don't know the answer. I don't know the answer. Only the people who work programming video games know the answer to these questions

What I do know is, these consoles are going to be VERY close in performance and as I said, the winner will come down to consumer confidence and games. Not Teraflop numbers and rendering bottlenecks. Suck it up bitch. 

DetailedAdvancedCutworm-size_restricted.