Reminder: Epic Games Store offering Remnant and Troy: TW for Free.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

now it says 32 gb.... 

@Twinblade, if you've got any questions, just bump the thread and I'll see if I can answer it.     As you may have heard; I kinda like these games.     

Troy TW is LIVE      

Posted Images

Just ran a couple benchmarks.  Yea, the game is demanding with the settings turned up.. as these games usually are.  All 24 CPU threads being utilized quite well.

1080p Ultra preset

1080pultra.png

4K Ultra preset

4Kultra.png

9 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Hey who did you pick as your starting character? :face: 

310?cb=20200814190616

Agamemnon who leads Mycenanana or whatever. The noobie guide recommended the dude and his campaign. 

Any keybindings you can recommend? So far I changed: pause in combat, cancel action, some camera shit, select all units... trying to figure out what is needed?

I think there was another one of these "hero" characters (the big ones :D )  but I think he died in my first batttle for some reason :D 

Edited by kazi of Skalitz

@kazi of Skalitz

Here's how it appears for me, what specific text is it that you can't read?

This is how I view it, and this a 1080P screen, obviously shrunk to fit on SW, so my text is actually slightly larger than it appears here.

troy_egs_screen7.thumb.png.a63b3ec123cbf57a228334a411e736ce.png

Edited by Teh_Diplomat
2 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

@kazi of Skalitz

Here's how it appears for me, what specific text is it that you can't read?

This is how I view it, and this a 1080P screen, obviously shrunk to fit on SW, so my text is actually slightly larger than it appears here.

troy_egs_screen7.thumb.png.a63b3ec123cbf57a228334a411e736ce.png

yea same. its too small sometimes. 

game is fun, i have no idea what im doing :ben: 

• Ben 1

I want to play more but I don't know how to use special skills of my troops. I saw a battering ram to break open gates

I thought I can use it on the gate somehow and bam its open but I have to choose troops to blast that shti and takes years and i have no idea who is good to hack a wooden gate to death lol.

Is  there a disengaging penalty? like for example troops vs troops and then you order escape and my guys turn around, do they get extra damage? does it count as flanking? where can I see stats like that?

should I recruit a new hero character? 

all the assholes that don't want to negotiate :will2: death awaits :pavarotti:  after i open the fkn door

• Geese 1

Special skills for troops? If they have a special ability it's typically, shown in the bottom left, as a circular icon above your Hero - who's most likely to have battle abilities; and same goes for those troops who have it as well.

Battering rams are useful for opening a 2nd gate, but you should be sending in your Hero to bash down the gates. From what I recall, each strike from the Hero will be like 7% damage done to the door; once it reaches 100%, it will be open to funnel troops through.

On that subject: Climbing the walls sets your units to 'Exhausted' for stamina, so far better to funnel the majority of your units through the door, than to climb over each available section of wall. That being said, some guys on the wall, means you can bring them down into the city, and flank your enemy who is blocking the gate.

Flanking & Charge bonuses: These can prove critical to  your success, and limit the number of losses you'll take, as most times not only do you increase your damage output, but lower your enemies morale.

A charge bonus decreases over time, but also provides additional damage and can lower morale of units, by repeatedly charging them.

As for pulling your troops in & out of battle  - known as cycle-charging; there is a penalty for pulling out of combat, but not as severe as you would think. Certainly not compared to leaving them in an exchange they are clearly losing. This can also be combined by having units in the rear of your army, to pull into combat, then pull your affected unit(s) back to give them time to rest, or move them around to get  them a better exchange opportunity.

Flanking a unit in Total War is critical for foot units: Ideally you want a rear charge where their stats are best combined (charge, melee damage, armour piercing, etc.); failing that a charge into their non-shielded side is preferred, followed by their shield sided if the aforementioned is not possible, and then lastly a charge into the enemy's front.

It also lowers the morale of the unit(s) that get hit from multiple sides.

Morale: Morale is a fluid number in TW, and many things affect it. Proximity to your hero, stamina, combat situation (winning, holding, losing) being hit in the rear, stamina level, number of losses taken in that unit, units that can cause fear (a hit to morale for all units within proximity) being nearby, and Terror - a constant decline in morale; with the option to route/break and flee.

Often times, getting the morale to below 0 is far more efficient that killing everything on the field. Also, units will typically route 3 times, before they 'shatter' and are then unable to rejoin battle, from  there, they are just going to flee the field.

But you can break a unit quite quickly if done correctly, here's an example:

Focus fire with missiles, a particular enemy unit, prior to engaging them, maybe even kite them as lure them towards your infantry.

Hit that unit with a charge from your units, and bring in another unit to hit them from the side.

Meanwhile you moved your missile around to throw their javelins into the rear of this same unit.

In that hypothetical situation, there's multiple penalties to their morale, and if times correctly, your charge bonus from the head-on charge will be finishing, just as your troops rush in from the flank to yet again cause more damage, then missiles into their rear once that charge bonuses expires.

In Total War you'll see little round tiny icons (holy shit they're so small this time around :D ) that indicate the following bonuses:

Anti-Large

Bonus Against Axes
Bonus against Swords
Bonus against Spears

Bonus to Flanking

Defence to Flanking

So some organized Spearmen get a bonus to fighting swords & axes, due to the unit's cohesion (fighting with shields overlapping, in a tight formation versus loose formation) and a bonus to range by virtue of their weapon's length. A spear is going to poke you before an axe cuts, or a sword slashes you.  Your Sword/Axemen typically get a bonus to flanking  so that's where you want to use them.

A few (how many's that now? :ben: ) more thoughts:

- Don't be afraid to Pause the game "P" to take a look at your units information, "i" and how they are faring in battle. You only really want to play out battles in real-time - without ever pausing; when you 'git gud', and understand prior to impact, how your troops are going to fare against their opponent(s).

Use terrain to your advantage: defending on a slope where the enemy will be forced to fight on the lower terrain is another factor to the combat situation, and even impacts morale, as it affects how the engagement will go.

Recruiting a new General will increase the cost to more than just regular upkeep, as it adds a 'supply lines penalty', basically a multiplication factor that increases the overall cost to ALL armies as you create more armies.

Early game you can rely on your first Hero/General, and want to get an Agent - Spy, Priestess, or Envoy; out on the field as soon as possible. Their abilities are great prior to combat, post-combat, and in general for your cities and provinces.

Don't be afraid to restart a campaign. These are not games you will do very well right from the outset. The satisfying part is that 'Hour 10' is gonna be much more enjoyable than 'Hour One' of playing since you'll know more about the game, and how to swing battles in your favour, or minimize losses.

Reload reduction time for missile troops is often more important than damage done per volley. The quicker your unit can reload the more of your ammunition that you can unload in a battle. The more ammunition you're able to throw each battle, the fewer losses you should take in melee combat.

@kazi of Skalitz

• dead 1
1 hour ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Special skills for troops? If they have a special ability it's typically, shown in the bottom left, as a circular icon above your Hero - who's most likely to have battle abilities; and same goes for those troops who have it as well.

Battering rams are useful for opening a 2nd gate, but you should be sending in your Hero to bash down the gates. From what I recall, each strike from the Hero will be like 7% damage done to the door; once it reaches 100%, it will be open to funnel troops through.

On that subject: Climbing the walls sets your units to 'Exhausted' for stamina, so far better to funnel the majority of your units through the door, than to climb over each available section of wall. That being said, some guys on the wall, means you can bring them down into the city, and flank your enemy who is blocking the gate.

Flanking & Charge bonuses: These can prove critical to  your success, and limit the number of losses you'll take, as most times not only do you increase your damage output, but lower your enemies morale.

A charge bonus decreases over time, but also provides additional damage and can lower morale of units, by repeatedly charging them.

As for pulling your troops in & out of battle  - known as cycle-charging; there is a penalty for pulling out of combat, but not as severe as you would think. Certainly not compared to leaving them in an exchange they are clearly losing. This can also be combined by having units in the rear of your army, to pull into combat, then pull your affected unit(s) back to give them time to rest, or move them around to get  them a better exchange opportunity.

Flanking a unit in Total War is critical for foot units: Ideally you want a rear charge where their stats are best combined (charge, melee damage, armour piercing, etc.); failing that a charge into their non-shielded side is preferred, followed by their shield sided if the aforementioned is not possible, and then lastly a charge into the enemy's front.

It also lowers the morale of the unit(s) that get hit from multiple sides.

Morale: Morale is a fluid number in TW, and many things affect it. Proximity to your hero, stamina, combat situation (winning, holding, losing) being hit in the rear, stamina level, number of losses taken in that unit, units that can cause fear (a hit to morale for all units within proximity) being nearby, and Terror - a constant decline in morale; with the option to route/break and flee.

Often times, getting the morale to below 0 is far more efficient that killing everything on the field. Also, units will typically route 3 times, before they 'shatter' and are then unable to rejoin battle, from  there, they are just going to flee the field.

But you can break a unit quite quickly if done correctly, here's an example:

Focus fire with missiles, a particular enemy unit, prior to engaging them, maybe even kite them as lure them towards your infantry.

Hit that unit with a charge from your units, and bring in another unit to hit them from the side.

Meanwhile you moved your missile around to throw their javelins into the rear of this same unit.

In that hypothetical situation, there's multiple penalties to their morale, and if times correctly, your charge bonus from the head-on charge will be finishing, just as your troops rush in from the flank to yet again cause more damage, then missiles into their rear once that charge bonuses expires.

In Total War you'll see little round tiny icons (holy shit they're so small this time around :D ) that indicate the following bonuses:

Anti-Large

Bonus Against Axes
Bonus against Swords
Bonus against Spears

Bonus to Flanking

Defence to Flanking

So some organized Spearmen get a bonus to fighting swords & axes, due to the unit's cohesion (fighting with shields overlapping, in a tight formation versus loose formation) and a bonus to range by virtue of their weapon's length. A spear is going to poke you before an axe cuts, or a sword slashes you.  Your Sword/Axemen typically get a bonus to flanking  so that's where you want to use them.

A few (how many's that now? :ben: ) more thoughts:

- Don't be afraid to Pause the game "P" to take a look at your units information, "i" and how they are faring in battle. You only really want to play out battles in real-time - without ever pausing; when you 'git gud', and understand prior to impact, how your troops are going to fare against their opponent(s).

Use terrain to your advantage: defending on a slope where the enemy will be forced to fight on the lower terrain is another factor to the combat situation, and even impacts morale, as it affects how the engagement will go.

Recruiting a new General will increase the cost to more than just regular upkeep, as it adds a 'supply lines penalty', basically a multiplication factor that increases the overall cost to ALL armies as you create more armies.

Early game you can rely on your first Hero/General, and want to get an Agent - Spy, Priestess, or Envoy; out on the field as soon as possible. Their abilities are great prior to combat, post-combat, and in general for your cities and provinces.

Don't be afraid to restart a campaign. These are not games you will do very well right from the outset. The satisfying part is that 'Hour 10' is gonna be much more enjoyable than 'Hour One' of playing since you'll know more about the game, and how to swing battles in your favour, or minimize losses.

Reload reduction time for missile troops is often more important than damage done per volley. The quicker your unit can reload the more of your ammunition that you can unload in a battle. The more ammunition you're able to throw each battle, the fewer losses you should take in melee combat.

@kazi of Skalitz

:ben: thanks bro. mapping pause was the first thing i did, sadly you cant unbind the middle mouse button for the free camera.

the pictures were helpful as well, but maybe you could try another colour for text like white, or was that some kind of hermit stunt

2 hours ago, kazi of Skalitz said:

:ben: thanks bro. mapping pause was the first thing i did, sadly you cant unbind the middle mouse button for the free camera.

the pictures were helpful as well, but maybe you could try another colour for text like white, or was that some kind of hermit stunt

Yeah it looks weird when it gets resized for the site, but if you click on the image, it does get easier to read as it expands closer to its original size.

I tried white, but the text was illegible in some cases, as opposed to hard to read with the Orange colour; green was a no go; and blue was too dark.

I think for other ones in the future I'll just crop them so the image can remain larger; and easier to focus on specific section of the game that way.

Just now, Teh_Diplomat said:

aer1i83o4ch51.jpg

EPIC are very smart indeed.  The more people just start using their store and launcher for these games, the more likely they are to buy something from there in the future.

And make no mistake... there ARE lots of people buying stuff from the store.

@Teh_Diplomat  

so I watched a video on youtube how some guy did the fight and he exactly did what I first thought of. Use the battering ram to break open the gates, then back off let the enemy through and kill them.

I tried it with my hero like you said (7% damage per hit) but it takes years..

can i sell troops and just recruit others i noticed i dont have enough ranged units

Edited by kazi of Skalitz
4 hours ago, kazi of Skalitz said:

@Teh_Diplomat  

so I watched a video on youtube how some guy did the fight and he exactly did what I first thought of. Use the battering ram to break open the gates, then back off let the enemy through and kill them.

I tried it with my hero like you said (7% damage per hit) but it takes years..

can i sell troops and just recruit others i noticed i dont have enough ranged units

Yes the battering ram will work faster, but you do need to wait 1 turn to build it - usually I want their city that same turn; hence the Hero/Gate recommendation. Because if you wait 2 more turns attrition will set in for the defenders (garrison and army) and you can just take the city without a pitched battle.

As for troops, you can transfer those extra troops into another Hero's army, and then recruit your ranged units. 

Conversely you can also hire a new guy where ever your ranged unit barracks is, and have him recruit and bring them up to your main army and transfer them.

Finally, if you don't want/need another army, just disband the units, and get the ranged units you'll need. 

Edited by Teh_Diplomat
16 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Yes the battering ram will work faster, but you do need to wait 1 turn to build it - usually I want their city that same turn; hence the Hero/Gate recommendation. Because if you wait 2 more turns attrition will set in for the defenders (garrison and army) and you can just take the city without a pitched battle.

As for troops, you can transfer those extra troops into another Hero's army, and then recruit your ranged units. 

Conversely you can also hire a new guy where ever your ranged unit barracks is, and have him recruit and bring them up to your main army and transfer them.

Finally, if you don't want/need another army, just disband the units, and get the ranged units you'll need. 

I will restart the campaign. I want my other hero dude. 

1 hour ago, kazi of Skalitz said:

I will restart the campaign. I want my other hero dude. 

Yeah good idea, I recall you telling me you lost him rather early on. :ben:

12 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Yeah good idea, I recall you telling me you lost him rather early on. :ben:

i'm not even far in because I fucked up twice in the second fight with the gates. (on easy difficulty :ben:). also wasted turns just standing around

the hero guy died in the first battle which is like right at the start in agamemnon campaign. I like to think the campaigns (choosing a hero) are completely different?

game has a steep learning curve, i think this is when i stopped playing the other game rome but this time I will play regularly to get the hang of it

1 hour ago, kazi of Skalitz said:

i'm not even far in because I fucked up twice in the second fight with the gates. (on easy difficulty :ben:). also wasted turns just standing around

the hero guy died in the first battle which is like right at the start in agamemnon campaign. I like to think the campaigns (choosing a hero) are completely different?

game has a steep learning curve, i think this is when i stopped playing the other game rome but this time I will play regularly to get the hang of it

Yeah each different leader and factions will have unique traits, abilities or functions as a result of whomever you selected.

For example, Menaleus, King of Spartans, can colonize any ruined settlement, provided they have line of sight. Meaning sending an agent around to gain visibility, also means new cities. he can also recruit from his Defensive/Military Allies to get access to missile units that Sparta doesn't have access to.

Odysseus can have his spies construct safe havens in foreign territory, and this will allow you to recruit when away from your base of operations. Makes sense due to his lore, and with his starting campaign being the islands on the Far West of the map.

Paris and his brother (for the Troy factions) fight gain favour with ole daddy; and eventually if you've received enough praise you can confederate (see: absorb) your brother's & and father's territory into your own.