The Matrix Awakens demo is pretty sick.

9 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

:drake:

What's hard about implementing ray tracing? You literally just add the libraries and let the software do the work. 

The hard part is getting good enough hardware to run it. I'm not at all impressed by the implementation though. 

Edited by Vini
19 hours ago, jehurey said:

Yeah, it has the same odd things as with other Unreal 5 demos.

The characters move a little stiff, the physics are a bit stiff and a little hollow.

But its pretty amazing. The Spiderman games also have real-time reflections, and they have larger windows on buildings to allow those reflections to be easily seen.

But this Matrix demo had real-time reflections on the automobiles that looked pretty damn close to what I see with Cyberpunk on my PC with everything cranked up.

For the PS5 to handle that is pretty cool. And when you are high up in the air and look down to the streets, they do a great job of still keeping all the cars and most of the pedestrians in view. Those images look like genuine photos.

Why do you always complain about everything?  Nothing is good unless it's some Pokemon trash.  Stfu

3 hours ago, Vini said:

This is a generation ahead of Spider-Man and if you disagree you're a delusional cow. 

It’s not even native 4K (it’s noticeable) and the reflections/NPCs are meh. The surface materials and scale are on another level, though. I’ll give you that. 

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

It’s not even native 4K (it’s noticeable) and the reflections/NPCs are meh. The surface materials and scale are on another level, though. I’ll give you that. 

Resolution is overrated.  Texture and material quality is more important.  

Reading about how they made this world, what impressed me the most was how they basically just used a single light source (the sun) and then every other light (like street lamps and vehicle headlights) were just emissive materials that basically gave off the illusion of casting a light when they're not actual lights. Anyone who has tinkered with UE4 knows that you usually have to place a lot of lights throughout a single scene in order to make everything look properly lighted with the right shadows and everything. But of course that also affects performance, so the way they 'cheated' to get the best visuals & performance was pretty interesting.

27 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Reading about how they made this world, what impressed me the most was how they basically just used a single light source (the sun) and then every other light (like street lamps and vehicle headlights) were just emissive materials that basically gave off the illusion of casting a light when they're not actual lights. Anyone who has tinkered with UE4 knows that you usually have to place a lot of lights throughout a single scene in order to make everything look properly lighted with the right shadows and everything. But of course that also affects performance, so the way they 'cheated' to get the best visuals & performance was pretty interesting.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious. Lots of baked shadows. 

11 hours ago, Vini said:

What's hard about implementing ray tracing? You literally just add the libraries and let the software do the work. 

The hard part is getting good enough hardware to run it. I'm not at all impressed by the implementation though. 

Just that easy :drake: