Steam Deck is mindblowing

5 hours ago, Remij said:

I haven't ever had a smart phone for more than 2 years.  I went from an S10+ to a S22 Ultra, and I don't see burn in ever being an issue for me.  I'm not on my phone 24/7 though and admittedly I don't ever have my screen blasting full brightness, nor just sitting on a still image for any large amount of time.

I'm sure OLEDs will be good for at least 4 years... which is long enough for me to want to upgrade any portable device I'd have.

Yea, not sure how he got OLED burn in on a modern smart phone unless he manually turned off the screen going to sleep and left it on one image for weeks at a time. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fucking thing plays Cyberpunk at a stable 30.   Since Friday I've installed 40 games on it, all looking and running great. SteamOS is great at unlocking PC tweakability but in a unified,

So I reserved one.. I'm an idiot. Just the 64gb one. Got an extra 512gb sd card laying around. 

Jerrys list of rules for what people are and are not allowed to do with their steamdeck   - You can't play at medium settings 720p (even though sheep hyped Doom and Witcher on Switch)

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Why do Sheep get so bitter at the thought of someone enjoying a handheld that isn't Nintendo's? :lawl:

5 hours ago, Remij said:

I'm going to enjoy playing games and helping Valve achieve just that 💪

5 hours ago, Goukosan said:

You're the target market, so that's expected. 

:umad:

1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

How's it going?

Damn thing is currently in a neighboring city... their estimate was wrong apparently.  Wont be here till Monday after all.  IHBR :( 

I'll definitely let you know when I get it :love: 

Edited by Remij
  • dead 1
7 minutes ago, Remij said:

Damn thing is currently in a neighboring city... their estimate was wrong apparently.  Wont be here till Monday after all.  IHBR :( 

I'll definitely let you know when I get it :love: 

THHBO!

On 2022-05-27 at 2:33 PM, TLHBO said:

Why do Sheep get so bitter at the thought of someone enjoying a handheld that isn't Nintendo's? :lawl:

On 2022-05-27 at 3:06 PM, sugarhigh said:

Because it's all they had left.

Who's the one who makes threads about the steam deck.........and then feel butthurt enough to bring up the switch in THEIR OWN threads?

Sheep don't feel the least bit threatened by the steam deck to bring it up in their threads.

Guess who's the one doing that?:tom:

Also, did this guy attempt the "OLED screens will get burn-in" argument?:lawl:

14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Who's the one who makes threads about the steam deck.........and then feel butthurt enough to bring up the switch in THEIR OWN threads?

Sheep don't feel the least bit threatened by the steam deck to bring it up in their threads.

Guess who's the one doing that?:tom:

Also, did this guy attempt the "OLED screens will get burn-in" argument?:lawl:

Well your OLED screens will get burn in, because the only thing they ever display is the UI of your PS5 or PC.. since it's clear you don't play games on them :tom: 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

O damn! I look forward to your breakdown. 

Just getting it all set up and updated.  There's quite a long "initialization" process, and then I had to download and install updates for the client, but it's pretty damn slick!

Quick impressions of the hardware is that it feels awesome.  IMO has just the right weight.  It feels sturdy, and is much more comfortable to hold than the Switch is.  Of course that should be expected since it's much less "pocket-able" than the Switch is.

Downloading games is super fast.  I'm hitting 35MB/s download speeds (which is the max for my ISP package 300Mbps).. and there's no indication that it can't do more than that either.

I'm also digging the UI.  It's quite slick and has obviously come a long way since even the first release of the Deck.  There's way more options now.

After I get some time with it I'll post a review. B) 

• aitch 1

Just finished playing some Dirt 5.  Man it looks and runs beautifully on the Deck.  It also has an amazing amount of granularity with tweaking the visuals, so getting a locked framerate is pretty easy.

Honestly, the update which allows you to set any refreshrate in 1hz increments from 40 to 60hz is a complete game changer.. allowing you to get the full benefits of vsynced locked framerates and refresh rates.

List of things I'm going to buy:

-USB-C hub with HDMI port and USB-A ports

-512GB MicroSD card

-Deck Shell for protection and screen protector

I have about 10 games installed right now and every single one of them has worked excellently.  Games download extremely fast.  Dirt 5 (40GB) downloaded in about 14 minutes at 38MB/s... That's fucking awesome!  I can essentially download 100GB games in ~40min.

I'm gonna have a LOT of fun with this thing. :whew: 

Who all has one here?  Sugarhigh, TLHBO, Me, and I know DynamiteCop has one... anyone else got one or plan on getting one? 

I don't have one yet. I've looked a few times at the order page and its always a 6 month wait so I hold off. I'm running desktop Linux so I want to see the steamdeck succeed but I'm also not missing out on anything right now. I'm sure by early next year the backlog will be cleared up, and looking at how much it has improved since launch I'm sure SteamOS will be even better. Not to mention all the third party app support its been getting recently.

On a more serious note one thing really puts me off modern gaming and the idea of steamdeck and its this;

48 minutes ago, Remij said:

I can essentially download 100GB games in ~40min

The whole industry feels like its designed around the U.S and Canada. Northern England is a deprived shithole. A 100GB game is like a weeks worth of downloading for me, and thats a weeks worth with the connection maxed out meaning you cant do much else online in the meantime. Its one thing that holds me back from modern AAA games and the idea of getting a steamdeck righr now and having to re-download games, or hook it up and transfer games via usb somehow.

I think the U.S does internet differently and some areas end up with only one provider? In the UK any company can use the cables but the cables are old and shit so who you go with is irrelevant as the speeds are almost identical. The only company that offers faster speeds is Virgin and I tried them for mobile and it was so bad its the only time I've ever cancelled a service in the grace period. They have an awful reputation. So I'm essentially cucked until BT openreach lays new cables. Even then its going to be nowhere near the speeds I see Americans talking about.

Its why I mostly stick with older games or indie games these days. Any game thats over 60gb makes me lose interest almost instantly.

11 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I don't have one yet. I've looked a few times at the order page and its always a 6 month wait so I hold off. I'm running desktop Linux so I want to see the steamdeck succeed but I'm also not missing out on anything right now. I'm sure by early next year the backlog will be cleared up, and looking at how much it has improved since launch I'm sure SteamOS will be even better. Not to mention all the third party app support its been getting recently.

On a more serious note one thing really puts me off modern gaming and the idea of steamdeck and its this;

The whole industry feels like its designed around the U.S and Canada. Northern England is a deprived shithole. A 100GB game is like a weeks worth of downloading for me, and thats a weeks worth with the connection maxed out meaning you cant do much else online in the meantime. Its one thing that holds me back from modern AAA games and the idea of getting a steamdeck righr now and having to re-download games, or hook it up and transfer games via usb somehow.

I think the U.S does internet differently and some areas end up with only one provider? In the UK any company can use the cables but the cables are old and shit so who you go with is irrelevant as the speeds are almost identical. The only company that offers faster speeds is Virgin and I tried them for mobile and it was so bad its the only time I've ever cancelled a service in the grace period. They have an awful reputation. So I'm essentially cucked until BT openreach lays new cables. Even then its going to be nowhere near the speeds I see Americans talking about.

Its why I mostly stick with older games or indie games these days. Any game thats over 60gb makes me lose interest almost instantly.

Oh ok, yea I wasn't sure if you had one yet or not.  I know you intended on getting one though eventually.

And yea, SteamOS is improving a lot.  I played around before I did the update, and the amount of stuff they've added and changed since then is incredible.  There's even been a few new games Verified since this morning from my Library lol

As for the download thing, I suppose I can understand why you feel that way, but that's more of an issue of where you live specifically.  I know what it's like to have had shit internet while others have had incredible speeds even back then.  I mean any decent internet will work well on the Deck.

Canada's internet is fucked.  Sure we have pockets of great speed, and my area is personally getting 1gig internet later this summer... but here WE PAY OUT THE ASS for that.  It's robbery here... In Canada we have some of the highest internet fees for the service you get in the entire world.  There's already places (a small amount mind you) with 2Gigabit internet in the US.. so we're just catch up to something they've had for a long time here.  Even so... what I have now (300Mbps) is easily fast enough for multiple streams and downloading in respectable times.  We get ~37MB/s download, and we can limit Steam to 20 or 25MB/s, and easily stream on the TV, browse the net, while our daughter does the same.. all at the same time. 

So I sympathize that you live in a shitty area with shitty internet.. that's rough.

But my post was more about what the Deck itself is actually capable of.  Some people were assuming download speeds would be hampered because it's not a Wifi6 device... but I've already seen videos and the Deck can do over double what I'm doing right now and download at 80MB/s.  That's just 20min for 100GB to download lol.

It's a fair issue you have though.  I wonder if it's possible to copy games from the PC, and put them on an SD card, and have them read automatically?  I'll have to test that out.  At least that way you would only have to download them once.. and then you could use your PC as a storage drive.

22 minutes ago, Remij said:

Oh ok, yea I wasn't sure if you had one yet or not.  I know you intended on getting one though eventually.

And yea, SteamOS is improving a lot.  I played around before I did the update, and the amount of stuff they've added and changed since then is incredible.  There's even been a few new games Verified since this morning from my Library lol

As for the download thing, I suppose I can understand why you feel that way, but that's more of an issue of where you live specifically.  I know what it's like to have had shit internet while others have had incredible speeds even back then.  I mean any decent internet will work well on the Deck.

Canada's internet is fucked.  Sure we have pockets of great speed, and my area is personally getting 1gig internet later this summer... but here WE PAY OUT THE ASS for that.  It's robbery here... In Canada we have some of the highest internet fees for the service you get in the entire world.  There's already places (a small amount mind you) with 2Gigabit internet in the US.. so we're just catch up to something they've had for a long time here.  Even so... what I have now (300Mbps) is easily fast enough for multiple streams and downloading in respectable times.  We get ~37MB/s download, and we can limit Steam to 20 or 25MB/s, and easily stream on the TV, browse the net, while our daughter does the same.. all at the same time. 

So I sympathize that you live in a shitty area with shitty internet.. that's rough.

But my post was more about what the Deck itself is actually capable of.  Some people were assuming download speeds would be hampered because it's not a Wifi6 device... but I've already seen videos and the Deck can do over double what I'm doing right now and download at 80MB/s.  That's just 20min for 100GB to download lol.

It's a fair issue you have though.  I wonder if it's possible to copy games from the PC, and put them on an SD card, and have them read automatically?  I'll have to test that out.  At least that way you would only have to download them once.. and then you could use your PC as a storage drive.

Barely any devices support wifi6 so that shouldnt matter for Deck. My router and PC support it but its kind of wasted lol

Yeah I'm not blaming the deck for the internet speeds. I looked it up and it appears you can copy files from pc to deck, though nor sure if thats direct to sd card or what.

Games ballooned in size over the past decade but internet cables remained stagnent. No matter which provider I go with I locked to 30-35Mbps, which means a good steam download maxes out and strains the connection at a whopping 4 - 4.4MBPS. Thats Steam being fast too, god help you if you're on playstation where download speeds are half that and even buying your games on disc is pointless because there will be a 3 hour update download for it.

I think its overlooked in modern gaming. Games keep getting bigger and bigger but I imagine there are a number of gamers like myself who essentially feel locked out of the market. I dont know how a modern family would cope when little jimmy wants a 100gb+ cod game downloading but the rest of the family wants internet browsing, facebook, youtube and netflix all going on.

I almost long for the days of Microsoft holding back games to be dvd sized. It seems their shortsightedness was actually a good thing that time.

Back to Deck I would recommend following some Linux gaming websites they normally list a lot of cool applications or plugins for steamdeck that improve the device even further.I'd recommend trying Heroic games launcher if you want Gog or EGS  and download an app called Protonupqt (search flathub), it makes it easy to manage and update custom proton versions and I don't see why it wouldn't work on Deck. Sometimes GE has the advantage of getting games to work earlier than mainline Proton.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Barely any devices support wifi6 so that shouldnt matter for Deck. My router and PC support it but its kind of wasted lol

Yeah I'm not blaming the deck for the internet speeds. I looked it up and it appears you can copy files from pc to deck, though nor sure if thats direct to sd card or what.

Games ballooned in size over the past decade but internet cables remained stagnent. No matter which provider I go with I locked to 30-35Mbps, which means a good steam download maxes out and strains the connection at a whopping 4 - 4.4MBPS. Thats Steam being fast too, god help you if you're on playstation where download speeds are half that and even buying your games on disc is pointless because there will be a 3 hour update download for it.

I think its overlooked in modern gaming. Games keep getting bigger and bigger but I imagine there are a number of gamers like myself who essentially feel locked out of the market. I dont know how a modern family would cope when little jimmy wants a 100gb+ cod game downloading but the rest of the family wants internet browsing, facebook, youtube and netflix all going on.

I almost long for the days of Microsoft holding back games to be dvd sized. It seems their shortsightedness was actually a good thing that time.

Back to Deck I would recommend following some Linux gaming websites they normally list a lot of cool applications or plugins for steamdeck that improve the device even further.I'd recommend trying Heroic games launcher if you want Gog or EGS  and download an app called Protonupqt (search flathub), it makes it easy to manage and update custom proton versions and I don't see why it wouldn't work on Deck. Sometimes GE has the advantage of getting games to work earlier than mainline Proton.

Valve is encouraging devs to upload a Deck-optimized download that downscales 4k video to 800p, with lower res textures and stuff. This kind of Deck-specific support probably will depend on Deck + other handhelds growing in userbase.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Yea I'm going to be checking out a lot of Linux stuff.  I've already seen some videos about setting the Deck up to essentially be a full desktop PC with all the main applications you'd want.

And yea, I'm checking out all that stuff to set up EGS, GOG, and emulators.  The built in Discover app already makes it braindead easy to install these emulators.  

This device is going to be so fucking sick :D 

• Thanks 1