50% of Playstation Studio's investment will be in new IPs by 2025

On 2022-05-29 at 12:55 PM, Ramza said:

Quoting me five times isn't going to get your point across.

As I've already stated it's a new game from a licensed IP sure but it's pretty much it's own video games series from now on under Insomniac, it is a new ''video games IP'' if you want to get technical for Sony first party games line-up but you're right, that it's an already established IP, obviously, not so much in the video games market though. Trying to downplay it is ridiculous, it was as fresh of an experience as Ghost of Tsuhima or Horizon. That's my point.

Regardless I'm glad you dropped it with Bloodborne at least. :umad:

Not trying to downplay Spiderman as a new game... Never said it wasn't... But it's definitely not a new IP.   Sony isn't referring to Spiderman when they say they're going to make more new IPs. 

They're talking about brand new properties.  Not licensed 50 yr old IPs. 

Now that doesn't mean they aren't going to make new games with OLD IPs.. But for the purposes of this thread we're talking about new IPs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why Sony remain kings.  While Nintendo and MS churn out the same things year after year. Oh another Pokemon this year! Mario sports title? No way! Whattt Forza coming out this year? 

This is why I love Playstation, can can never go 100% hermit. By far the most risk-taking of the big publishers, and it pays off more often than not.    

Arguing that Bloodborne isn't a new IP is one of the dumbest takes I've ever seen on this board.

5 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Does it really? Dino Crisis is just a re-skinned Resident Evil, but nobody has a problem referring to them as separate franchises, IPs, or whatever other jargon you want to use. Gaming didn't have a problem with Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake back in the day and it hasn't had a problem with the dozens of other similar examples over the years so I'm not sure why you feel like this is anything deeper than "Does the developer consider it a new IP?"

Who even has that award? I checked The Game Awards, Gamespot, and IGN and none of them do. "Best original game of 2021" doesn't show much in Google, either. "Best new video game IP 2021" first result is an article about Elden Ring being the best selling new IP since The Division lol. "Best new video game IP 2015" first result is some random video game blog counting down the top 5 new IPs of 2015 with Bloodborne at #1.

As a hypothetical, though, I think Elden Ring should be considered for best new IP/best original game absolutely. Whether it should win would depend on the competition and I have no problem using similarities to previous From games against it in making that decision.

I think Elden Ring is also on a completely different level with its comparisons to Dark Souls than Bloodborne or Sekiro. Elden Ring could be called Dark Souls 4 and nobody would question it, but Bloodborne being called Dark Souls 3 (because of when it released) or Sekiro being called Dark Souls 4 would be pretty weird.

I understand your points but still, I think Soulsborne games or other properties built off of other games should go by different metrics. Specific categories aside Elden Ring is likely going to garner a lot of attention on the awards sides, and will likely overshadow other games that didn’t have the luxury of being new IPs built on the Souls foundation. 

I like the approach that The Quarry is doing. It’s defined as a new IP but it’s very much an extension of Until Dawn and Supermassive’s other games, and the marketing takes that into consideration. Everybody knows to call it the spiritual successor to Until Dawn because that’s what it is. There’s little attempt to try to pass off as a whole ‘new’ game.

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I like the approach that The Quarry is doing. It’s defined as a new IP but it’s very much an extension of Until Dawn and Supermassive’s other games, and the marketing takes that into consideration. Everybody knows to call it the spiritual successor to Until Dawn because that’s what it is. There’s little attempt to try to pass off as a whole ‘new’ game.

Oh fuck off... :roll: 

So chances are this is talking about the 4 or 5 "new" things that they expect Bungie to help them create.

Like supposedly Bungie had like 8-9 things, but some of them are their own property that will have nothing to do with Sony, and the rest are new things that are building with Sony. They could also easily be PSVR2 games created from some new IP.

Edited by jehurey
3 hours ago, jehurey said:

So chances are this is talking about the 4 or 5 "new" things that they expect Bungie to help them create.

Like supposedly Bungie had like 8-9 things, but some of them are their own property that will have nothing to do with Sony, and the rest are new things that are building with Sony. They could also easily be PSVR2 games created from some new IP.

- Naughty Dog supposedly has a new sci fi franchise in dev based on the "savage starlight" comics in The Last of Us

- Bend is moving onto a new IP because Sony didn't want Days Gone 2

- Jade Raymond's new studio Haven is working on a new IP published by Sony

- Santa Monica is hiring for a new "fantasy" IP, which could be directed by Cory Barlog who isn't directing Ragnarok

4 hours ago, jehurey said:

No.  Jim Ryan already stated in a phone call that this isn't including anything Bungie is working on.