Eidos founder believes Square is trying to get bought by PlayStation

In an interview with Games industry.biz, the founder of Eidos Montreal suggests that Square is fire-selling western teams to prepare for an acquisition by PlayStation. Square sold 3 significant teams including Crystal Dynamics to a publisher called Embracer for only 300M. Embracer had recently bought Gearbox for 1.3B.

The founder, Stephane D'Astous cites rumors that Sony wanted to buy Square Japan, but wasn't interested in the rest of the tteams. Personally I think those western teams would be a good addition to PlayStation studios, especially at such low prices. Despite Crystal Dynamics' struggle with Avengers, there aren't too many teams with AAA service game experience, and having them teamed up with Bungie would make a lot of sense imo.  Plus Tomb Raider has a long history with Playstation.

Nevertheless, if this is true, Square going PS-exclusive would be a big deal. TLHBO.

Screenshot_20220726-125700.png

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-07-26-square-enixs-western-studios-were-a-train-wreck-in-slow-motion

Edited by sugarhigh
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at these butthurts     LOL they're trying to boast about pixel spirtes, at this point. That's how bad its gotten for them.

Once again...........you already admitted that your fiction should've have never been brought up, BY YOU, in the first place.   Good to see you admit both of those things.   Now ba

yeah no shit these butthurt people turned into their 2005 selves yesterday.   this is what three butthurt people melting down @ me, all day long, looks like  

Posted Images

Imagine the entire Square-Enix back catalog being solely on Playstation Plus.

I also think that those western studios would've had some good-to-great value, especially Eidos Montreal.

I just wonder if Square-Enix executive board has decided that they have no long term plans for any of their franchises, and they're thinking that maybe they should just cash out?

It seems like these new Final Fantasy games are getting so much more expensive, and taking so much longer to release, to the point where it doesn't make much sense anymore.

I always thought this was the reason Square Enix sold their western teams. It makes the most sense to me.

I would have liked them to keep Tomb Raider so that we could have had an Uncharted/Tomb Raider crossover but oh well.

Either way, Sony having access to all the Square-Enix back catalog would be huge. It would also help with the lack of AAA Japanese studios they have and also bolster their exclusive RPG library by a lot.

Look at these butthurts:kaz:

13 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Nice hopes and dreams. :tom: 

3 minutes ago, Substatic said:

SE's back catalog and all future games are 99% best on PC. Stop with these psychopathic dreams. 

LOL they're trying to boast about pixel spirtes, at this point.

That's how bad its gotten for them.

• Haha 1
  • NPC 1
Just now, Substatic said:

I said past and future.

Once again...........you already admitted that your fiction should've have never been brought up, BY YOU, in the first place.

Good to see you admit both of those things.

Now back to the subject of this banger that is for the Switch.

• Haha 1
  • NPC 1
Just now, jehurey said:

Once again.......... 

Once again SE past and future are best on PC. You dreamed it could be PS Plus exclusive (lmao).

Bitch ass has to pray games get taken away from other systems that win every gen.

Just now, jehurey said:

you were in the wrong.

What are you talking about. You said,

Imagine the entire Square-Enix back catalog being solely on Playstation Plus.

These dreams are futile. SE back catalog is best on PC as is it's future catalog. 

1 minute ago, Substatic said:

What are you talking about. You said,

These dreams are futile. SE back catalog is best on PC as is it's future catalog. 

No, its pixel sprites.

Its pathetic that you think the PC has an advantage

You are wrong.

Just now, Substatic said:

What's the highest framerate PS5 can do on these?

Replicating console games on the console.........is the best experience.

Thanks for admitting that the PS5 does that.