Holy fuck it's huge

11 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Are you comparing better looking native 800p game to non native game and using that to say the screen is better? Lol    of course better looking games will look better on the same class of screen. 

Obviously if your playing a non native game in portable its going to not look sharp.  But if you're playing a native 720p game on Switch in portable it will be sharp on the display, not much difference than a 800p native screen. 

The deck and the OG Switch display are literally in the same class of display despite the OG Switch being almost 6 years old. 

The knock against the deck screen is not that it's shit, because as you can see yourself it's perfectly fine.... it's that 6 years later they could have sourced a much better screen than that... It didn't necessarily have to be OLED. 

The screen is perfectly fine though.  What "much better screen" is there?

I've also told you it looks better than the OG Switch's screen.

It's not ideal, but after 6 years production costs of the Switch have dropped considerably... allowing Nintendo to upgrade the screen.  Valve is obviously making concessions where it can at this stage in it's life... because these things still cost a lot more to produce.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow it really is huge, but in a good way. It's like phone vs tablet, it's not as portable but its much more comfy to hold and navigate.   Also I can't get over how sharp the picture is. The

Microsoft shoulf have done the same it might have given them more luck in Japan.   I found the perfect mascot for the xbox brand      

pleasently surprised because I didn't expect it to arrive this soon, but I just got this bad boy in the mail   

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Remij said:

The screen is perfectly fine though.  What "much better screen" is there?

I've also told you it looks better than the OG Switch's screen.

It's not ideal, but after 6 years production costs of the Switch have dropped considerably... allowing Nintendo to upgrade the screen.  Valve is obviously making concessions where it can at this stage in it's life... because these things still cost a lot more to produce.

Outdoor color performance and peak brightness outdoors could have been better.. The context is it's  6 years later and they're basically using the same screen as OG Switch. 

But overall... Yea the screen is fine.. Didn't say it is wasn't fine overall fine.   

Yes valve made concessions with the screen, and despite that, it goes to show that at that size of 6 to 7 inches, 720p - 800p is perfectly fine for a handheld.... once those games are hitting the screens native resolution of course. 

Edited by Goukosan
13 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Outdoor color performance and peak brightness outdoors could have been better.. The context is it's  6 years later and they're basically using the same screen as OG Switch. 

But overall... Yea the screen is fine.. Didn't say it is wasn't fine overall fine.   

Yes valve made concessions with the screen, and despite that, it goes to show that at that size of 6 to 7 inches, 720p - 800p is perfectly fine for a handheld.... once those games are hitting the screens native resolution of course. 

Oh for sure.  At this size, the resolution is perfect in all honesty.  Going above this is just needlessly wasting resources for these devices.  Most games use TAA nowadays, so the shimmering and jaggies at that resolution are mostly negated.

Certainly 1080p would be the limit.  Running games on the Deck at 1080p downsampled to the native display resolution produces an image which looks incredible.  Many of these big AAA games even at lower settings look like full console experiences on the 7'' screen.  It's awesome.

I think if Nintendo is smart, they stick with the same OLED screen they have for the Switch now, for the "Switch 2".

Just now, Twinblade said:

I saw a comparison between the Ayaneo AIr's screen and the Deck's and I was shocked at how much worse the Deck looked. The better black levels you get with a OLED make a significant difference.

Show me.  Because I have a much better phone OLED screen, and I'm not "shocked" by the Deck's screen quality at all.  I'd rather play games on my Deck all day.

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

Show me.  Because I have a much better phone OLED screen, and I'm not "shocked" by the Deck's screen quality at all.  I'd rather play games on my Deck all day.

Can't find the other side by side comparisons but this one is a decent example. The Deck's image is so much more washed out in comparison

Main-Edit.00_00_32_27.Still002.png

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

Are you comparing better looking native 800p game to non native game and using that to say the screen is better? Lol    of course better looking games will look better on the same class of screen. 

Obviously if your playing a non native game in portable its going to not look sharp.  But if you're playing a native 720p game on Switch in portable it will be sharp on the display, not much difference than a 800p native screen. 

The deck and the OG Switch display are literally in the same class of display despite the OG Switch being almost 6 years old. 

The knock against the deck screen is not that it's shit, because as you can see yourself it's perfectly fine.... it's that 6 years later they could have sourced a much better screen than that... It didn't necessarily have to be OLED. 

720p vs 720p, shit 1024 x 768 on deck looks ultra sharp. Your bud was telling us it was unplayable.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Can't find the other side by side comparisons but this one is a decent example. The Deck's image is so much more washed out in comparison

Fwiw there is a difference between the 64/256 deck and the 512 deck. The anti-glare screen has better colours but doesn't go as bright.

This video from 4:51 onwards highlights this:

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

720p vs 720p, shit 1024 x 768 on deck looks ultra sharp. Your bud was telling us it was unplayable.

Was it native 720p on Switch though? 

Not arguing on behalf of anyone but im pretty sure that discussion with that was about how the screen on the deck is its weakest component and for 2022 premium device the screen could have been better.... Not sure how you translate that to be "unplayable" 

Edited by Goukosan
17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That's just a terrible picture to judge anything...

PSP emulation is The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

I cba digging out the PSP so all these games can have a second wind on a more advanced handheld.

Vita emulation is there too, looks like its early days with regards to compatability but like any sane person I skipped the Vita so it would be nice if the handful of games it had could be emulated perfectly.

Damn the TV out experience is great now. 720p with FSR scaling is no PS5 replacement, but looks good on my 4k TV. All the resolution/frame rate compatibility issues seem to be fixed. The menu UI could still be faster, but it's way improved from 2 months ago.

On 2022-10-08 at 12:05 PM, sugarhigh said:

Damn the TV out experience is great now. 720p with FSR scaling is no PS5 replacement, but looks good on my 4k TV. All the resolution/frame rate compatibility issues seem to be fixed. The menu UI could still be faster, but it's way improved from 2 months ago.

why not do desktop mode and playin higher resolution? 

I bought a dock for it. Bluetooth mouse kinda sucks. It doesn't feel as smooth and I hate the delay when it times out after not touching for a while. And having to charge it too. Meh. I've always preferred wired mouse and keyboard. 

Edited by Cooke

Did anyone order the official dock? Seems like a waste of money to me. I think it's lame design that you have to manually plug it in.

Maybe freesync doesn't work on standard usb-c hubs? People are impressed that it has a firmware update, but like what features do you want patched into a dock?