Steam Deck's Docked experience is leagues better now than it used to be

@sugarhigh @TLHBO @Cooke

Man, I just connected my Deck to my TV after the latest beta preview update and my lord it's so much better now.  The UI runs so much smoother and everything is way more responsive.

If you guys haven't checked it out or updated, you should.  Now that the Dock is out there, you can tell they're putting in a lot of effort now to improve that experience.

It's insane how much better this device is now than it even was at launch. :smoke: 

I haven't docked it and probably never will :freeben:

I don't see the point outside of the initial setups. I have a desktop running Endeavour KDE so its the same thing but on my main machine, and if I want to drop games onto the Steamdeck I just put the SD card into my PC and drop them into the relevant folders. If I'm going to play on a monitor or TV then I just use my gaming PC.

I see people hooking up monitors and portabled displays and everything but for me this is to compliment my PC, not replace it entirely.

20 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I haven't docked it and probably never will :freeben:

I don't see the point outside of the initial setups. I have a desktop running Endeavour KDE so its the same thing but on my main machine, and if I want to drop games onto the Steamdeck I just put the SD card into my PC and drop them into the relevant folders. If I'm going to play on a monitor or TV then I just use my gaming PC.

I see people hooking up monitors and portabled displays and everything but for me this is to compliment my PC, not replace it entirely.

Well, it's not going to replace a PC...  Just docking it in the living room for some couch gaming every once in a while.

I just played the madagascar/clock tower/bike chase chapters in UC4 on the Deck and it's just insane that it's running on that small device.  It felt just like I was playing it on an original PS4.

I have tried it and it is way improved just in time for the official dock release. I mostly use the Deck handheld with the speakers which is still where the system shines imo. But I'm excited about playing split screen coop games on the TV. If only a few PC devs actually cared to implement it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

I have tried it and it is way improved just in time for the official dock release. I mostly use the Deck handheld with the speakers which is still where the system shines imo. But I'm excited about playing split screen coop games on the TV. If only a few PC devs actually cared to implement it.

Yea, I'm blown away by how much better it is now.

Yea of course the Deck shines the most portably, but being able to just dock it to the TV for some big screen comfy couch gaming is good too. B) 

That actually sounds like one of the better reasons to have a Deck if everything works as intended. I say that because I temporarily moved my PC to the living room because the couch was more comfortable for my post surgery recovery, but I could not get the fuckin hdmi connection from the TV to my PC to work :| The TV detected it but I would either get no image or a very distorted image with artifacts (almost like a PC GPU overheating). Really bizarre and I ended up just moving my PC monitor and installing it on top of my coffee table. I think my TV has some quality control issues.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Awesome to see devs outright advertising their games for it. B) 

I honestly didn't think we'd see as many devs doing it as there are.. but it's a good sign.

Great game, perfect fit for the Steam Dick. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Remij said:

Well, it's not going to replace a PC...  Just docking it in the living room for some couch gaming every once in a while.

I just played the madagascar/clock tower/bike chase chapters in UC4 on the Deck and it's just insane that it's running on that small device.  It felt just like I was playing it on an original PS4.

Oh yeah that works. I have a TV in the same room as my PC though so I just plug in a long HDMI cable if I want the console style experience. I've also got a raspberry pi hooked up to it for retro games. So for me personally theres little point to the dock.

It seems they're making progress on the desktop too though as the steamdeck controller customization (which is AMAZING btw) is now in the desktop beta.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Oh yeah that works. I have a TV in the same room as my PC though so I just plug in a long HDMI cable if I want the console style experience. I've also got a raspberry pi hooked up to it for retro games. So for me personally theres little point to the dock.

It seems they're making progress on the desktop too though as the steamdeck controller customization (which is AMAZING btw) is now in the desktop beta.

Yea, they've currently only implemented it just for individual games though.  And yea it's a lot better than the Steam Big Picture bullshit configurator tools.  Not only is it much better, but much more responsive as well.  And it's super smooth.  When they finally bring the SteamOS UI to Desktop, it's going to be really good.. you can already tell. :glad: 

https://www.pcgamer.com/potential-steam-feature-would-be-a-godsend-for-users-with-data-caps-or-slow-internet/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Looks like Valve could be coming out with a way to peer-to-peer transfer games across local area networks.

So say I have my main PC, a living room PC, and a Steam Deck... I can download the game once to my main PC, and then from the other devices just copy the game over to them, instead of taking internet bandwidth and downloading them all separately, or having to copy them to a USB or something and then transferring them, and it would be WAY faster too.

Which is fucking awesome, and will make the Steam Deck even better too  :love: 

That's good for countries with third world internet like the UK.

At the moment I can put my sd card into my PC and copy things over (but it gets blazing hot). But this sounds more useful, especially as you scale the amount of devices, and could possibly keep games hoarded on a few HDDs on an internal network.

The next update is also going to allow screen tearing and VRR (for external displays only)

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/10/vrr-external-screens-and-allow-tearing-options-coming-to-steam-deck/

This device is evolving so fast it really needs its own thread.

Edited by TLHBO
  • aitch 1

Look at this shit.  Steam's "Steam Input" has always been amazing, but it keeps getting better... and on the Deck, it's next level.

Virtual menus on the touch pads :lawd:

You can also set up this type of touch pad virtual menu with the Dualsense and DS4 controllers.

RBDm054.jpeg

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Remij said:

Look at this shit.  Steam's "Steam Input" has always been amazing, but it keeps getting better... and on the Deck, it's next level.

Virtual menus on the touch pads :lawd:

You can also set up this type of touch pad virtual menu with the Dualsense and DS4 controllers.

RBDm054.jpeg

Good stuff. :ahmad: