Playstation acquires Firewalk Studios, working on online MP shooter

:diddy:

I did a double take since PS also recently acquired Firesprite who made the Horizon VR game. This is a new studio formed in 2018.

Veterans from Respawn, Bungie, and Raven. ppl saying this is one of Sony's answers to CoD going exclusive.

It's about time we see what all these PS teams have been working on.

20230420_133653.jpg

Edited by sugarhigh

With ProbablyMonsters' support, we were able to really focus on a game concept we've been excited about and we met Sony in 2018. And since that first meeting with them, they've been incredibly excited and huge supporters of not just the team, but also the project that we've been working on," Studio Head Tony Hsu, who previously was the GM and SVP of Destiny at Activision, explained.

It's clear Sony is investing in organic growth by buying studios that just started working with them like Sony Bend and Guerilla.

They have shown with Bungie they are willing to spend big bucks when need be. Apparently Herman played their game in 2021 and was so impressed the purchase was inevitable.

20 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

Sony apparently is planning to release 6 GAAS by 2025. I'm more excited about the Horizon MMO from the Black Desert Online devs. Competitive shooters isn't my thing.

Its pretty risky to do this. Many of the most successful service games evolved into it after a few iterations. And many games designed as service games have been outright failures.

27 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Its pretty risky to do this. Many of the most successful service games evolved into it after a few iterations. And many games designed as service games have been outright failures.

Even Nintendo had Splatoon, Sony is really lacking in the online department and looks like they're going to fix that.

3 hours ago, Playstation Tablet said:

Even Nintendo had Splatoon, Sony is really lacking in the online department and looks like they're going to fix that.

Yeah more online games is good. More coop would be good. More SPLIT SCREEN even. I just don't think every game with a network connection should be designed with Service Game in mind. If it gets a big audience then lean in that direction.

2 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Yeah more online games is good. More coop would be good. More SPLIT SCREEN even. I just don't think every game with a network connection should be designed with Service Game in mind. If it gets a big audience then lean in that direction.

Halo Infinite lost it's playerbase because the updates were so spares. It's a fact that the online crowd expects a healthy stream of new content or the games die. A battlepass alone isn't enough every season.

• 2 weeks later...
It's all part of Sony's aim to broaden out from the single-player, narrative adventure games that it's best known for (although don't worry, they're still being made, too). In fact, the company says it has ten live-service games in the work.

Yet live-service games, typically, take up a huge amount of time and attention. Surely Sony can't expect all ten products to be successful? The cynic in me can't help but feel that the company is hedging its bets, knowing that the majority of those ten won't make it, but hoping one or two strike it big.

Yet PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst was keen to remind me that 'live-service' doesn't automatically mean the company is making ten Fortnites or Destinys.

"We understand the competitive environment that is out there, and the time investment from players that live services offer," Hulst tells us. "And we want to deliver the highest quality games.

"There is a risk that we talk about 'live service' in generic terms – as if it is a single genre, or even a single business model. PlayStation Studios are making a variety of games that could be referred to as 'live services', targeting different genres, different release schedules, and at different scales. We are also creating games for different audiences, and I take confidence from our track record in creating worlds and stories that PlayStation fans love."

So what is it that PlayStation can offer? Tony Hsu, studio head at Firewalk, says the company has no plans to expand much beyond the 150 employees. But there are other benefits to being part of the PlayStation team.

An interesting side note on the game that Firewalk is making is that it's not technically going to be a PS5 exclusive, as the game is also being simultaneously developed for PC. It makes business sense to launch live-service titles across multiple platforms, as it gives the title a larger addressable market in which to build an audience. Is this an approach Sony might be making with all its service-based titles?

We understand the competitive environment that is out there, and the time investment from players that live services offer," Hulst tells us. "And we want to deliver the highest quality games.

"There is a risk that we talk about 'live service' in generic terms – as if it is a single genre, or even a single business model. PlayStation Studios are making a variety of games that could be referred to as 'live services', targeting different genres, different release schedules, and at different scales. We are also creating games for different audiences, and I take confidence from our track record in creating worlds and stories that PlayStation fans love."