The VRAM issues on Nvidia cards are worse than I thought

• Twinblade★ changed the title to The VRAM issues on Nvidia cards are worse than I thought

For the longest time I would randomly get these massive frame rate drops in some of the games I played and they would continue to run that poorly for a good 10-30 seconds before returning to normal. I just figured it was the result of the ports not being good, or my habit of just cranking the settings high and I just kind of brushed them off even though they were definitely annoying. Now I know exactly what was causing them....

The 6800 was faster than the 3070 even without the perceived limit of 8GB of VRAM in 2023, so the comparison is already pretty silly. There are two pretty gross outliers in Hogwarts and Last of Us, while the rest are largely within that 10-15% difference we saw between the two at launch. You're being dramatic refusing to buy PC ports using this video as evidence because there's nothing about it to warrant that kind of reaction.

The possibility that any game can just be outright broken due to VRAM limitations is shitty, but it's not like you can't mess with settings to see performance boosts with minimal effects on quality. I'd be way more interested in that kind of comparison than this video. Are Hogwarts/Last of Us still disasters if you drop settings from ultra to high? Medium? Just dropping down textures? What fixes VRAM issues in these two games?

On 2023-04-21 at 12:57 AM, Hot Sauce said:

The 6800 was faster than the 3070 even without the perceived limit of 8GB of VRAM in 2023, so the comparison is already pretty silly. There are two pretty gross outliers in Hogwarts and Last of Us, while the rest are largely within that 10-15% difference we saw between the two at launch. You're being dramatic refusing to buy PC ports using this video as evidence because there's nothing about it to warrant that kind of reaction.

The possibility that any game can just be outright broken due to VRAM limitations is shitty, but it's not like you can't mess with settings to see performance boosts with minimal effects on quality. I'd be way more interested in that kind of comparison than this video. Are Hogwarts/Last of Us still disasters if you drop settings from ultra to high? Medium? Just dropping down textures? What fixes VRAM issues in these two games?

I don't know man. Im already looking at Jedi Survivor and it seems like its the exact kind of game thats going to suck on my 8gb 3070Ti. Built on UE4 and having enough high quality textures to take up 150gb of hard drive space sounds like a crippling combination.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I don't know man. Im already looking at Jedi Survivor and it seems like its the exact kind of game thats going to suck on my 8gb 3070Ti. Built on UE4 and having enough high quality textures to take up 150gb of hard drive space sounds like a crippling combination.

Then sell it and get a 6800 lol. The 6800 is going for less than the 3070 Ti on Ebay and r/hardwareswap. 

5 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Then sell it and get a 6800 lol. The 6800 is going for less than the 3070 Ti on Ebay and r/hardwareswap. 

Its not that simple. I have the G-Sync Alienware so im kind of locked into Nvidia cards at the moment.

I did briefly think about selling the 3070Ti and then just upgrading to a 4070 but then my fucking car engine died and now I have to do everything I can to save money...

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its not that simple. I have the G-Sync Alienware so im kind of locked into Nvidia cards at the moment.

I did briefly think about selling the 3070Ti and then just upgrading to a 4070 but then my fucking car engine died and now I have to do everything I can to save money...

Maybe it'll be a blessing and you'll see a small price cut on the 4070 considering it doesn't seem to be selling all that well.

Or maybe the rumors are wrong and Nvidia won't just release a glorified 3070 Ti 3 years later and call it a 4060 Ti....:fatcruise: