The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Well that's one way of looking at it.  On the other hand if you're a PC gamer with a big library already it makes even more sense.

Didnt SD only sell like a million units? It seems its not making much sense.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard

Windows is not up to the task.

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JonbX said:

Didnt SD only sell like a million units? It seems its not making much sense.

It was over a million in October of last year.. lmao... and it makes perfect sense, as they only had a limited capacity during the pandemic and it was not sold at retail.  It's also not the only device of this type... there's plenty others out there.

So what are the numbers now? 1.1 million? It wasnt limited for long. 

If this thing is barely hitting a milli than you know the other devices out there arent selling shit.

These things are a gimmick and wont even outsell VR. 

17 minutes ago, JonbX said:

So what are the numbers now? 1.1 million? It wasnt limited for long. 

If this thing is barely hitting a milli than you know the other devices out there arent selling shit.

These things are a gimmick and wont even outsell VR. 

Why does it matter? It's a portable PC that share the same games has any other PC. It get the same support either way.

• Thanks 1

JonB is being overly harsh. I used to be hard on these devices (especially the Deck) but now I appreciate what they do, especially with the ROG and the sheer power it offers. The flexibility and versatility of these platforms is really one of the highlights. Because of cloud saves you can easily go back and forth between your Desktop and Portable. Maybe you've had a good Diablo 4 session and you want to keep playing but its a beautiful day outside so you want to chill on your lawn chair for a bit. Just take your portable and resume right where you left off.

Also you're no longer locked into having to play at a desk. Connecting a PC to a TV in a different room is still not an ideal or efficient way to play PC games while chilling on the couch, so if you get a supported dock you can just plug in the deck/ally and start easily playing PC games on the living room TV.

Yes, it kind of is just like an expensive Switch, but that power is an asset and you still have access to a MUCH larger library of games. Even though there's been more and more of them released lately, the majority of indie PC games still skip the Switch.

And thats not touching on the many other things the Ally in particular can do, like emulation. You can pretty much play any game ever up to the PS3 era and they seem to work flawlessly for the most part

• Like 1

I think these handheld PCs own. It’s nice not being locked to a tv or a household. It’s why I professionally edit on a laptop. I can move from studio to studio. I will eventually build a home workstation. However, mobile works for me now. It’s the same with gaming. I like the option for flexibility. The ROG is extremely impressive, and the future is looking bright for these devices. 

• Like 1

I don't see the problem with playing old games on these. A single device where you can easily jump from Super Mario World, to God of War (ps2) to Arkham City, to modern indies like Cuphead or Vampire survivors, and then still play some modern AAA games like God of War reboot and Horizon?

You can do all that on a regular PC too but some games just look better on a smaller, lower res screen. PS2 games look more authentic and retro games less pixelated. Its also easier to jump into them in free time.

Personally I use my Deck for retro games (GC and ps2 are especially good) including PS3 era as I love replaying some of those, and modern games with a lot of replayability.

For AAA open world games etc I prefer that kind of experience on the big screen.

But there's choice either way. Shared Steam library and cloud saves are the killer features.

Its a better version of what the Switch offers. Thats not a knock on Nintendo, obviously Nintendos approach makes the most sense for a marketable device, but its the "pick and choose between handheld and tv experience".

Like for me on Switch, vampire survivors etc = handheld, and Zelda = TV.

But the difference is when you choose to play on the big screen, you're not limited by power and don't have to cope with 720-900p image quality.

• Like 2

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard to do it so I literally could not play the game. It was pretty bizarre

I ended up working around it by doing the following

1) Pinning Windows' On-Screen Keyboard to the taskbar

2) Setting the Ally from the 'default' control mode to 'Desktop' to force KBM functionality and ignore controller inputs

3) Back in the name input menu, I scrolled up to reveal the taskbar and opened the On Screen Keyboard while the name entry screen was still in the background, and finally I was able to Input my name

I feel like I was only able to fix this because of my IT background and the basic troubleshooting skills that come with it. Im pretty sure the average person would have no idea what to do in this case and would have not been able to play the game at all.

If this kind of thing can spring up anytime there's a game that requires you to input text via a virtual keyboard, then that will be a problem.

• Like 2
  • dead 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@Twinblade

The Asus ROG Ally has been afflicted with a faulty microSD card slot that begins to malfunction when hot. Asus has finally confirmed that there's a problem.

Reports came out a few weeks ago that users were having issues with the Asus ROG Ally's microSD card slot. Some claimed it wasn't functioning right as the device began to warm up, and now Asus has admitted that the hardware is indeed faulty.

In a post on Discord, Asus stated:

"After confirmation from internal testing, under certain thermal stress conditions, the SD card reader may malfunction."

As of right now, Asus has only a workaround fix incoming. This will involve changing the fan speeds to alleviate the heat issue. In another Discord statement, Asus said:

"To alleviate the issue, we will be releasing an update that further fine-tunes the default and minimum fan speeds on the device to improve reliability while keeping fan noise in check, as we know this is a concern for many of you."

Sounds like the issue is pretty widespread from what I've been reading.  Even Jeff Gerstmann was complaining about not being able to get the SD card out of the slot or something like that on that podcast.  Maybe it's best to just not use the SD card reader and just use the SSD for now.

Edited by Remij
5 minutes ago, Remij said:

@Twinblade

Sounds like the issue is pretty widespread from what I've been reading.  Even Jeff Gerstmann was complaining about not being able to get the SD card out of the slot or something like that on that podcast.  Maybe it's best to just not use the SD card reader and just use the SSD for now.

yeah thats a bit concerning. I hope that doesn't end up resulting in noisier fans and decreased battery life (due to them spinning faster).

As for myself I don't really have any reason to use a SD card with it. If I wanted additional storage capacity I would just upgrade the SSD.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

yeah thats a bit concerning. I hope that doesn't end up resulting in noisier fans and decreased battery life (due to them spinning faster).

As for myself I don't really have any reason to use a SD card with it. If I wanted additional storage capacity I would just upgrade the SSD.

Isn't the thing practically silent anyway?  It's quite a bit quieter than the Deck I remember reading.  Probably wont be that drastic of a difference.  Valve also altered the fan curves on the Deck as well, so it's par for the course with these machines at this point.  If it does the trick though.. then that would be good.  For future stock they should be working on an actual hardware fix though.

26 minutes ago, Remij said:

Isn't the thing practically silent anyway?  It's quite a bit quieter than the Deck I remember reading.  Probably wont be that drastic of a difference.  Valve also altered the fan curves on the Deck as well, so it's par for the course with these machines at this point.  If it does the trick though.. then that would be good.  For future stock they should be working on an actual hardware fix though.

Yeah its really quiet. The fans are rarely audible unless you're playing in turbo mode.

14 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Ally seems more busted that early reviews said. Valve engineering holds up.

A big, bulky, loud, and hot handheld that can’t ran most newer games above low settings? Yeah that’s quite the engineering marvel…

• Confused 1
  • NPC 1
33 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

A big, bulky, loud, and hot handheld that can’t ran most newer games above low settings? Yeah that’s quite the engineering marvel…

Big and bulky are the same criticism. All PC handhelds are "bulky". Steam Deck is extremely comfortable with high quality inputs, by all accounts superior to Ally.

I genuinely hope your Ally doesn't burn your house down.

the steam deck definitely has a premium feel to it. the buttons and joycons feel so damn good. i actually dig the size of it. it reminds me of my switch with the hori pro joycons, except it's way sturdier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...