The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard

Windows is not up to the task.

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (th

Posted Images

Cool device, I hope we see a lot more of these. The Phawx got some credible benchmarks comparing the Ally chip with the Deck at different power levels. The Ally shows some good gains at Deck's peak 15W. GPU-heavy games like Returnal, Metro Exodus, and Red Dead 2. In other games there isn't a huge difference. You can still push it to 25W for more gains but then you're stomping on the battery.

If you're looking for a big advance on battery life, I don't think Ally is it. But it's a worthwhile boost in performance, and seems to have a great display.

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Should be interesting, also very curious as to why a MS exec will be there. Wonder if they will have some kind of partnership with ASUS.

Sigh, this handheld revolution could have been interesting but now the beast has its slimy tentacles there.

7 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Sigh, this handheld revolution could have been interesting but now the beast has its slimy tentacles there.

If MS actually makes windows better for gamepads/handhelds I'm not mad at it. Still gonna use SteamOS obviously.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Not even two hours. Fucking dogshit :hest: 

image0.jpeg

And that's only at 15w, similar to Deck. I think you can boost this up to 25W, which is like 1:15.

I think 1080p will turn out to be a mistake. Users are gonna be tempted to push it to the limit and get the worst handheld experience.

Edited by sugarhigh
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

$700 for the 8.6 tflop Z1 extreme version is an insanely good deal. This thing blows the deck out of the water.

It's gonna have similar problems that put you off the Aya Neo at the end of the day. Until it runs SteamOS.

2 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

It's gonna have similar problems that put you off the Aya Neo at the end of the day. Until it runs SteamOS.

Sure, but it also depends on how good asus’ software for managing the games is. If you can avoid having to use windows desktop most of the time then that could be a good enough workaround.

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

$700 for the 8.6 tflop Z1 extreme version is an insanely good deal. This thing blows the deck out of the water.

$700 for less than 2 hours :roff: 

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Sure, but it also depends on how good asus’ software for managing the games is. If you can avoid having to use windows desktop most of the time then that could be a good enough workaround.

From what they've shown already im not hopeful. And ditching the touchpads... on a WINDOW device is a big miss. Thankfully it's at least got a fingerprint reader.

One thing ASUS seems to be killing it on is their cooling system. I believe the hype about it being super quiet and cool. That's a big advantage for established OEMs over Valve.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

did sugarhigh write that article? The guy sounds like the most bitter steam deck fanboy

To be clear I am pro-Ally. This is a boost to PC gaming, not a threat to Steam Deck. The sooner we get to gaming handhelds as a permanent form factor the better. Ally is a solid new entry, we need to see HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, etc jump into the space.

• -GD-X★ changed the title to The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)