The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)

I definitely look forward to hearing gamer impressions of it when it drops. With Zelda dropping tomorrow, I may return my Deck when it arrives and reconsider what to buy at a later date.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard

Windows is not up to the task.

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (th

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

did sugarhigh write that article? The guy sounds like the most bitter steam deck fanboy

yeah that guy was an obvious steam fanboy the moment he said that the ally doesn't have a trackpad, and that the trackpad "can work with just about any game (as long as you're willing to fiddle with it)" which is another way of saying "it doesn't work with every game".

And then proceeds to complain about the dead-zone, which he apparently has no time to "fiddle with it".

Just now, Twinblade said:

Combining this with the external $700 6850XT gpu they sell actually seems like a brilliant idea. For $1400 total you’d have a capable gaming handheld and a gaming desktop all in one.

yeah, that's pretty wild.

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Combining this with the external $700 6850XT gpu they sell actually seems like a brilliant idea. For $1400 total you’d have a capable gaming handheld and a gaming desktop all in one.

Eh, the egpu options are mobile parts at a huge premium.  you can practically build a better desktop for around the same price without a bottlenecked CPU. It's a great idea to have an egpu docking option, but they're fleecing the diehards with these.

Handheld PC wars seems to be the new battleground :lul:

Twinkie still desperately looking for a steamdeck killer despite not liking handheld PC systems.

Jerry hiding behind the Ally to fight steamdeck....when both are just a PC in portable form :rofl: So hermits stay slaying the sheep.

Next up we can duke it out between some premade desktops.

1 minute ago, TLHBO said:

Handheld PC wars seems to be the new battleground :lul:

Twinkie still desperately looking for a steamdeck killer despite not liking handheld PC systems.

Jerry hiding behind the Ally to fight steamdeck....when both are just a PC in portable form :rofl: So hermits stay slaying the sheep.

Next up we can duke it out between some premade desktops.

LOL he's trying so hard.

and he's been hiding behind a handheld he doesn't own for almost two years now.:tom:

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL he's trying so hard.

and he's been hiding behind a handheld he doesn't own for almost two years now.:tom:

Excellent point, you really put forward a convincing argument :interesting:

Oh and save the "who owns what" guessing game for your buddy Ghostz, adults dont play that.

1 minute ago, TLHBO said:

Excellent point, you really put forward a convincing argument :interesting:

LOL he's trying to make fun of something he attempted to do first:hest:and now pretends otherwise

here comes his attempting 8 different tactics within the next 5 posts.:banderoos:

I think the smaller size and lower weight makes this the ideal choice for someone who travels a lot or wants to play a handheld while out and about. But if you’re the kind of person who mostly plays their handhelds at home, then the steam deck might be the better choice for it’s more intuitive OS and software.

but really it just comes down to personal preference. I have a long set of flights coming up later this year so if I had to pick one for that purpose it would be the Ally.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

yeah that guy was an obvious steam fanboy the moment he said that the ally doesn't have a trackpad, and that the trackpad "can work with just about any game (as long as you're willing to fiddle with it)" which is another way of saying "it doesn't work with every game".

And then proceeds to complain about the dead-zone, which he apparently has no time to "fiddle with it".

typical sheep retardation. i never hide that i'm a steam fanboy. ally is not in competition with steam. it looks like a pretty good way to play steam games.

the value of the trackpads aren't to use in "just about every game". i overwhelmingly use the analog sticks on the deck. it's that they come in clutch in a lot of situations because pc games usually aren't 100% gamepad accessible.  sometimes you just need a cursor for a sec. add windows to the mix with all of gamepass' bullshitty dialog prompts, and its 10x worse because the primary OS is not gamepad accessible.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I think the smaller size and lower weight makes this the ideal choice for someone who travels a lot or wants to play a handheld while out and about. But if you’re the kind of person who mostly plays their handhelds at home, then the steam deck might be the better choice for it’s more intuitive OS and software.

but really it just comes down to personal preference. I have a long set of flights coming up later this year so if I had to pick one for that purpose it would be the Ally.

this battery life wouldn’t even last on a two hour flight Lmfao

5 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

this battery life wouldn’t even last on a two hour flight Lmfao

most first/business class flights have usb ports and/or power outlets.

5 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

most first/business class flights have usb ports and/or power outlets.

Well I know that, but the whole “out and about” thing is pretty much non existent with this thing. You’ll be thethered to a wall 90% of the time. 

now it would be decent with a battery back that doubles the life. Then it’s at least on par with a PS5 controller. 

3 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Well I know that, but the whole “out and about” thing is pretty much non existent with this thing. You’ll be thethered to a wall 90% of the time. 

now it would be decent with a battery back that doubles the life. Then it’s at least on par with a PS5 controller. 

Or it could be ghetto with AAs like the series L controller. 

• -GD-X★ changed the title to The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)