Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-on-starfields-big-empty-planets-not-every-location-is-supposed-to-be-disney-world/1100-6517418/

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.

"The point of the vastness of space is you should feel small. It should feel overwhelming," Cheng said. "Everyone's concerned that empty planets are going to be boring. But when the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there. They certainly weren't bored."

:hest:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LemiJ - " The 1000s of planets beaming with life and wonder, the galaxy is yours to freely explore" 😭

LemiJ - "I can't wait to fly freely from planet to planet and get lost in space, the exploration will be unmatched" 😢

LemiJ - "bbbbut the unlimited exploration, vastness and infinite potential" 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Wait, people actually expected EVERY planet to have something of significance? I love to shit on Bethesda but that's an unrealistic expectation.

LemiJ - "bbbbut the unlimited exploration, vastness and infinite potential" :awww:

• Haha 1
  • dead 1
1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

LemiJ - " The 1000s of planets beaming with life and wonder, the galaxy is yours to freely explore" 😭

More BS :roll: 

Dumbass took me saying Starfield is more massive in scale and scope than Zelda and is really running with it :drake: 

16 minutes ago, Remij said:

More BS :roll: 

Dumbass took me saying Starfield is more massive in scale and scope than Zelda and is really running with it :drake: 

LemiJ - "I can't wait to fly freely from planet to planet and get lost in space, the exploration will be unmatched" 😢

• Haha 1
  • dead 1

:mj: All this is nice and all until you realize the “planets” aren’t really planets and are just procedurally generated tiles with invisible walls. Barren randomly generated tiles that you can’t even explore even if you wanted to. The game is a joke.

Elite Dangerous, NMS and even Star Citizen in its incomplete state do a far better job of conveying the vastness of space and sense of exploration. They should have just stuck to doing smaller hand crafted worlds like Mass Effect and called it a day instead of this trash :drake:

Lems like Lemij who hyped this garbage have been totally raped :cruise:

Flop of the Generation :mickeyj:

IMG_5882.thumb.JPG.eab7aad976b24b7f19d18d9c920c5511.JPG

Edited by FIREPOWER

Oh man, lemmings are now trying to lie to us about the stuff they clearly said about this game.

This is so pathetic.

It gets even more pathetic when you realize that every barren planet you visit has the same type of rock formations. The dirt and sky is just different colors.

No Man's Sky at least had planets with grass.

• Geese 1
2 hours ago, FIREPOWER said:

:mj: All this is nice and all until you realize the “planets” aren’t really planets and are just procedurally generated tiles with invisible walls. Barren randomly generated tiles that you can’t even explore even if you wanted to. The game is a joke.

Elite Dangerous, NMS and even Star Citizen in its incomplete state do a far better job of conveying the vastness of space and sense of exploration. They should have just stuck to doing smaller hand crafted worlds like Mass Effect and called it a day instead of this trash :drake:

Lems like Lemij who hyped this garbage have been totally raped :cruise:

Flop of the Generation :mickeyj:

LMFAO Ninja PS5 + 4090 Gamer!!!! :lawl: :omglol:

3 hours ago, Remij said:

LMFAO Ninja PS5 + 4090 Gamer!!!! :lawl: :omglol:

Cope :cruise:

Quick, time to find out my social security number and address so you can stalk me outside my house humiliating you on Systemwars. What a fucking loser :kaz:

He started stalking me on Twitter because I raped his ass on Systemwars and was shameless enough to admit it 

:luff:

Fv_S62SXgAEkDsl.jpg.381ccf50910e940354ca34a1dc4f40d1.jpg

Edited by FIREPOWER
3 hours ago, jehurey said:

Oh man, lemmings are now trying to lie to us about the stuff they clearly said about this game.

This is so pathetic.

It gets even more pathetic when you realize that every barren planet you visit has the same type of rock formations. The dirt and sky is just different colors.

No Man's Sky at least had planets with grass.

NMS even has alien oceans you can explore with your submarine. You can even build underwater bases. The frauds at Bethesda just made repeating landscapes with different colored skyboxes and rocks and called it a day :mickeyj:

2 hours ago, FIREPOWER said:

Cope :cruise:

Quick, time to find out my social security number and address so you can stalk me outside my house humiliating you on Systemwars. What a fucking loser :kaz:

He started stalking me on Twitter because I raped his ass on Systemwars and was shameless enough to admit it :luff:Fv_S62SXgAEkDsl.jpg.381ccf50910e940354ca34a1dc4f40d1.jpg

You'll never recover from the embarrassment that is your twitter feed dude... lmfao :mj: 

18 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

TweeterPower still has his feelings hurt from Sonys Phase 2 being a Phailure :rofls:

24 minutes ago, Remij said:

You'll never recover from the embarrassment that is your twitter feed dude... lmfao :mj: 

Instead of these two retards to be playing their "game of the generation" that just launched that they've been hyping for years, they are here on Systemwars having meltdowns :drake:

Something tells me Lemij and JonD are like their fellow lemshit retards on Twitter busy attacking game journalists instead of playing the game they have waited their entire lives to play :mj:

:dbry:Dude spent the entire day harassing game journalists at IGN for giving Starflop a 7 and it turned out he's not even playing the game himself. Reminds me of Lemij and his bad of retarded lemshits on Systemwars.

Lemij finding time to stalk me on Twitter while his copy of Starflop continues to gather dust :sabu:

IMG_3810.JPG.84091f9d539cbd79a751c647575047e7.JPG

Oh my god, is that the combat music?

That's like recycled Fallout 3/4 combat music, its literally the same notes and note progression. Hell, it even sounds like the same exact horns from FO4

de-naaaaaaaaaaa....NAAAAAAAAA

• Geese 1