Gouks Piscatella - physical software only 5% of total US game spending in 2023

3 hours ago, Remij said:

Oh? And which stores you talking about?  Every physical section around here is a shadow of it's former self.  90% shitty merchandise 10% games.

It's only a matter of time until these stores all cave dude.  You think these trade ins are great... but the stores that do them are literally dying.

There's absolutely no stores around here which do midnight launches anymore.  I'm not saying there aren't some which don't do them.. but it's so few and far between now.  Not even GTA6 will have a midnight launch around here.

That trade in model is literally what kept the biggest video games store brand in North America going for decades. Just because it's not what it used to be doesn't mean it's dead. There's a market for it which is why most non indie games still get physical versions. 

GTA6 physical will literally sell dozens of million of copies for years in stores. Terrible choice of game to make your argument. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an absolutely meaningless stat relative to how he came up with it.     "Across console, portable, PC, cloud, non-console VR, subscription and mobile." I mean, this is just stupid... and

Next gen digital only       https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1777735255010811982   https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1778046551233085766

Gouks Piscatella    

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, David P said:

Even if only 10% of gamers bought physical that's still million of consumers. There's nothing wrong about my statement. 

Yeah, going into a store to buy something. What an insane concept. 

Millions that will switch to digital once MS, Sony, Pubs decide its not worth paying for production and distribution of discs, packaging and cuts.

Just now, JonDnD said:

Millions that will switch to digital once MS, Sony, Pubs decide its not worth paying for production and distribution of discs, packaging and cuts.

Except they still do. MS is only leaving retail because they killed themselves by making everything about their digital service. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, David P said:

That trade in model is literally what kept the biggest video games store brand in North America going for decades. Just because it's not what it used to be doesn't mean it's dead. There's a market for it which is why most non indie games still get physical versions. 

GTA6 physical will literally sell dozens of million of copies for years in stores. Terrible choice of game to make your argument. 

And.... have you not been watching as those stores close before your eyes and/or morph from video game retailer to gaming/misc junk merchandise retailer?

You already see the writing on the wall dude...  I know you do.

You saying 10% of gamers is still millions of people, and that it doesn't mean physical is dead...... is like me saying 10% of sales are on Xbox and it doesn't mean it's dead...

It's DEAD AND DYING bro.  I get it.. you like to have a disc and be able to resell your games... but as a game delivery system it's outdated as fuck.

Just now, Remij said:

And.... have you not been watching as those stores close before your eyes and/or morph from video game retailer to gaming/misc junk merchandise retailer?

You already see the writing on the wall dude...  I know you do.

You saying 10% of gamers is still millions of people, and that it doesn't mean physical is dead...... is like me saying 10% of sales are on Xbox and it doesn't mean it's dead...

It's DEAD AND DYING bro.  I get it.. you like to have a disc and be able to resell your games... but as a game delivery system it's outdated as fuck.

I'm saying even if only 10% of gamers bought physical, which is an extremely low guess, it's still enough to have a significant retail market and keep going. 

Of course the market shrank so you saw a reduction from big retailers. Same things with any form of retail, doesn't mean it's completely going away and every shopping mall is closing down. 

And then there's the fact that it's not only digital stores that is hurting them but...

It's also Amazon and do you know what Amazon sells?

*drumrolls* Physical games.

22 minutes ago, David P said:

I'm saying even if only 10% of gamers bought physical, which is an extremely low guess, it's still enough to have a significant retail market and keep going. 

Of course the market shrank so you saw a reduction from big retailers. Same things with any form of retail, doesn't mean it's completely going away and every shopping mall is closing down. 

And then there's the fact that it's not only digital stores that is hurting them but...

It's also Amazon and do you know what Amazon sells?

*drumrolls* Physical games.

Physical games are dying bro. Of that 10%... you have maybe 2% which are diehards and who will stop gaming when the companies decide to stop altogether with physical games.  The other 8% will convert to digital.

16 minutes ago, Remij said:

Physical games are dying bro. Of that 10%... you have maybe 2% which are diehards and who will stop gaming when the companies decide to stop altogether with physical games.  The other 8% will convert to digital.

They're not, it's not going to get any worse. It's just the least popular option. 

I'm not saying these gamers would stop buying games without physical but Sony and Nintendo doesn't have the balls to find out so it's irrelevant. That's just not going to happen. It's too big for that, especially for Nintendo and their family friendly audience. 

Edited by David P
3 minutes ago, David P said:

They're not, it's not going to get any worse. It's just the least popular option. 

I'm not saying these gamers would stop buying games without physical but Sony and Nintendo doesn't have the balls to find out so it's irrelevant. That's just not going to happen. It's too big for that, especially for Nintendo and their family friendly audience. 

Ok bro.

:hest: Lems want everyone to go digital because the retards at MS have gone fully digital and are failing.

Misery loves company lol.

Is physical gaming declining?  Yes.

Will it be declining to the point where Sony abandons it anytime soon? Fuck no.

Sony still sells consoles in a lot of regions in the world where physical is the only option. For that reason alone they won't be going digital only. Microsoft is almost completely dead in retail and have no choice but to go digital since they probably spend more money printing CDs than they do actually selling them.

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Remij said:

Ok bro.

I love how you talk about a purely speculative theoretical scenario like it's real news. 

Spoiler alert: your wet dreams about physical games being a thing of the past is just that, a dream.

Reality is GTAV sold 50+ million physical copies at retail. 

A new chart shared with data from the GSD and GfK has good news for retailers: Despite what it feels like, consumers still purchase many physical games. The majority are digital purchases, but breaking down the numbers of the top 20 sellers of last year reveals some encouraging information.

EA Sports FC 24, 2023’s top seller, had a digital/physical split of 67%/33%, while Hogwarts Legacy, the second best-seller, had a split of 56%/44%. Yes, physical sales will never be what they were two generations ago, but in an online-focused world, having nearly half of all sales for a title be physical is still a reality.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, with a 69%/31% split, was more online-focused, while Grand Theft Auto 5, which has spanned multiple console generations, had a more severe split of 71%/29%. 

Edited by David P
  • dead 1
9 minutes ago, David P said:

I love how you talk about a purely speculative theoretical scenario like it's real news. 

Spoiler alert: your wet dreams about physical games being a thing of the past is just that, a dream.

Reality is GTAV sold 50+ million physical copies at retail. 

A new chart shared with data from the GSD and GfK has good news for retailers: Despite what it feels like, consumers still purchase many physical games. The majority are digital purchases, but breaking down the numbers of the top 20 sellers of last year reveals some encouraging information.

EA Sports FC 24, 2023’s top seller, had a digital/physical split of 67%/33%, while Hogwarts Legacy, the second best-seller, had a split of 56%/44%. Yes, physical sales will never be what they were two generations ago, but in an online-focused world, having nearly half of all sales for a title be physical is still a reality.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, with a 69%/31% split, was more online-focused, while Grand Theft Auto 5, which has spanned multiple console generations, had a more severe split of 71%/29%. 

lmao dude, you're delusional.  It's declining year after year.

The writing is on the wall.

Like I said... the majority of those physical buyers... WILL be converted to digital.  Publishers will simply say enough is enough and not want to pay retail fees anymore.

32 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

:hest: Lems want everyone to go digital because the retards have MS have gone fully digital and are failing.

Misery loves company lol.

Is physical gaming declining?  Yes.

Will it be declining to the point where Sony abandons it anytime soon? Fuck no.

Sony still sells consoles in a lot of regions in the world where physical is the only option. For that reason alone they won't be going digital only. Microsoft is almost completely dead in retail and have no choice but to go digital since they probably spend more money printing CDs than they do actually selling them.

Dumb post.  This isn't about Xbox at all.  It's about the numbers.. which as you admitted... show Physical declining year after year.

You're going to be weeded out eventually son :juggle: 

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

lmao dude, you're delusional.  It's declining year after year.

The writing is on the wall.

Like I said... the majority of those physical buyers... WILL be converted to digital.  Publishers will simply say enough is enough and not want to pay retail fees anymore.

44% physical for Hogworth Legacy. One of the biggest game of this gen? 

I'm sure the publisher was crying and can't wait for physical to fizzle out.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Geese 1
6 minutes ago, David P said:

44% physical for Hogworth Legacy. One of the biggest game of this gen? 

I'm sure the publisher was crying and can't wait for physical to fizzle out.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Propping up your argument with one game.. lmao. 44%... in one region....

And it's Hogwarts... LOL.. it probably skewed more in favor of physical because people who hate JK Rowling but love Harry Potter wanted to play it and be able to trade it in  :hest: 

GTA5 is also a stupid comparison because a huge amount of that games sales came from 360 and PS3.. which again would obviously would skew more towards physical in the early days.

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Remij said:

Propping up your argument with one game.. lmao. 44%... in one region....

And it's Hogwarts... LOL.. it probably skewed more in favor of physical because people who hate JK Rowling but love Harry Potter wanted to play it and be able to trade it in  :hest: 

Wow, my argument was so solid you actually followed with another argument as to why people bought a physical game over digital when given the choice. 

Hahaha. 

Fact is retail stores gives good exposures to games. You'd be surprised how many clueless consumers walk into games stores and buy things with a cool cover on them that the cashier recommended. I see it all the times. 

Logic dictates that if you removed Hogworth Legacy physical version, it would have sold less copies. Maybe not by a whole lot but it would still negatively impact sales to an extent.  

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, David P said:

Wow, my argument was so solid you actually followed with another argument as to why people bought a physical game over digital when given the choice. 

Hahaha. 

Fact is retail stores gives good exposures to games. You'd be surprised how many clueless consumers walk into games stores and buy things with a cool cover on them that the cashier recommended. I see it all the times. 

Logic dictates that if you removed Hogworth Legacy physical version, it would have sold less copies. Maybe not by a whole lot but it would still negatively impact sales to an extent.  

I'm well aware of the reasons people buy physical dumbass. :drake: 

Fact is...retail stores that sell games are dying.  Consoles are beginning to offer purely digital only consoles.  

The fact that you're trying to act like you hang out at the local game shop and watch people deciding which games to buy by the cover is just hilarious and so mid 2000s :D 

It just doesn't happen anymore like that.

Lemij is a retard. He’s backing a dead console brand with almost no retail presence so the idea that Sony would want to have a retail presence in countries and regions where physical is still the dominant way to buy and own games is alien to him. This kind of closed-minded thinking is why MS and lems are in the hole they are in now. 

You can see this kind of retarded logic when lems like Lemij and Cuckstz were cheering for the Cloud gaming and ShitPass not realizing there are tons of gamers around the world that don’t give a shit about cloud gaming or subscription services. Lems just like their idiotic overlords at MS have tunnel vision. They have this self-centered view of gaming where they think what’s best for them is what’s best for everyone else. How else could Phil Spencer declare in 2016 that single player games are dead because he was having problems releasing good SP games? Same way Lemij the retard is prematurely claiming now that physical gaming is dead now because MS is failing in retail and Xbox physical sales of games is non-existent :mj:

Edited by FIREPOWER
1 minute ago, FIREPOWER said:

Lemij is a retard. He’s backing a dead console brand with almost no retail presence so the idea that Sony would want to have a retail presence in countries and regions where physical is still the dominant way to buy and own games is alien to him. This kind of closed-minded thinking is why MS and lems are in the hole they are in now. 

You can see this kind of retarded logic when lems like Lemij and Cuckstz were cheering for the Cloud gaming and ShitPass not realizing there are tons of gamers around the world that don’t give a shit about cloud gaming or subscription services. Lems just like their idiotic overlords at MS have tunnel vision. They have this self-centered view of gaming where they think what’s best for them is what’s best for everyone else. How else could Phil Spencer declare in 2017 that single player games are dead because he was having problems releasing good SP games? Same way Lemij the retard is prematurely claiming now that physical gaming is dead now because MS is failing in retail and Xbox physical sales of games are non-existent :mj:

I don't back any console brand moron.  However, I DO back a platform with no retail presence... it's called PC dipshit :drake: 

LOL this is how pathetic these idiots are.  They can't argue the fact that physical just keeps declining... and so they try so hard to make it about the person stating as much and discredit them :rofls: 

GameSpot and Best Buy are going out of business soon. That will be the final nail in the coffin for physical games.