Box Office Meltdown: ‘Garfield’ Claims Victory Over ‘Furiosa’ With Worst No. 1 Memorial Day Opening in Three Decades

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/furiosa-box-office-garfield-worst-memorial-day-1235909084/#!

With no holdovers to contribute in a massive way to the Memorial Day picnic, overall revenue for the four days plummeted to an estimated $127 million to $130 million, also a 29-year low.

Worst Summer Movie Opening Weekend in 29 years. And looking at what they have slated, the bloodbath will continue.

Inside Out 2 (June 14)

A Quiet Place: Day One (June 27)

Despicable Me 4 (July 3)

Twisters (July 19)

Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26)

What is Hollywood even for if they can't make movies that people want to see in theater? Inside Out 2 is the only thing that interests me, and I'll just wait for that on streaming as will most parents (lmao Disney+ presents Pixar).

18 hours ago, Nightshade79 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/furiosa-box-office-garfield-worst-memorial-day-1235909084/#!

Worst Summer Movie Opening Weekend in 29 years. And looking at what they have slated, the bloodbath will continue.

Inside Out 2 (June 14)

A Quiet Place: Day One (June 27)

Despicable Me 4 (July 3)

Twisters (July 19)

Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26)

What is Hollywood even for if they can't make movies that people want to see in theater? Inside Out 2 is the only thing that interests me, and I'll just wait for that on streaming as will most parents (lmao Disney+ presents Pixar).

A quiet place day one 

Despicable me 4

Deadpool and Wolverine 

All three will do very well. 

What David Jaffe said about this is basically my thoughts on it too.  The theater today is going through what Arcades did after their heyday.  Basically once consoles got good enough to provide essentially arcade or better than arcade experiences right at home, they started to drop off until their eventual demise.  That's basically what's happening right now with TV and Streaming.  The shows have gotten so good now, that going to the theater just doesn't make the same sense it used to back in the day.  Now its like, why bother going to the theater when it will be on demand in a few weeks or a month.  So like Arcades, it's only the biggest of the big names now which get solid reception and people actually trot their asses out to the theater for.

You have that, and add in the cost of taking the family out for the night and the economy.. and it's just not worth it.

6 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Fuck theaters. I rather watch shit at home. 

Same here. With the exception of movies like Dune Part Two that were built for IMAX I’d rather sit at home and enjoy my movies.

• Upvote 1