Rockstar reiterates GTA6 is still on track for Fall 2025 release (THHBR and TLHBFR!)

21 hours ago, Remij said:

Let's get it clear.  GTA sells most on consoles.. because it's always released first on consoles.  If it released day 1 on PC, and had consistently done so for all this time, the PC numbers would be far higher than they are when it releases a year or so later... and Rockstar does that because console manufacturers need games like GTA to move mass units.

Take Two's not in business to shore up Playstation. They're in business to sell GTA. PC is the biggest install base of GTA-capable hardware by a lot. This hasn't always been true, the gaming audience has shifted.

I really dont accept the line that GTA sells on consoles because it was always a console game. From Software was always a console developer, but Elden Ring sold best on Steam. It's just the worldwide AAA audience out there, and the biggest chunk of them are on Steam (and PS4). If you make a good PC version on Steam day one, Steam players will buy it.

Rockstar is fucking up.

Edited by sugarhigh
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where’s the PC version anyway? 🤔    

PROtato  

Youtube.com 

5 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Take Two's not in business to shore up Playstation. They're in business to sell GTA. PC is the biggest install base of GTA-capable hardware by a lot. This hasn't always been true, the gaming audience has shifted.

I really dont accept the line that GTA sells on consoles because it was always a console game. From Software was always a console developer, but Elden Ring sold best on Steam. It's just the worldwide AAA audience out there, and the biggest chunk of them are on Steam (and PS4). If you make a good PC version on Steam day one, Steam players will buy it.

Rockstar is fucking up.

I never said it was.  It IS however in their interest, and their business to make deals with platform holders which are mutually beneficial.  Playstation and MS are incentivized to make deals with Rockstar so they can sell more units... that's just obvious.

And you're proving my point exactly.... Elden Ring didn't just magically become a game which sells just as much on PC as it does on Playstation... it's taken around a decade of consistent PC day 1 releases of their souls games to build up the fanbase on the PC platform.  Capcom now states PC is their primary platform.. and it didn't just happen right at the beginning... it's taken years and years of them releasing their games on PC and building up the audience.  Now obviously Rockstar already has a big audience on PC... but it would have a MUCH larger audience on PC if people could trust that every future game would be day 1 as well.  And that's my entire point.  These companies need to build up the fanbase and trust of consumers for the specific platform. 

This is why companies like Capcom and Sega and Fromsoft are becoming huge on PC, whereas companies like SquareEnix keep squandering their potential because they keep making exclusivity deals with Sony for short term profitability.  It's backfiring on them now.. and they need to build up their fanbases on other platforms (particularly PC and Nintendo) for long term growth.

Rockstar will get their eventually, as I said.  If Xbox dies out, I think the next GTA could be PS and PC day 1.. potentially Nintendo as well if their hardware is up to it.

1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

Rockstar is fucking up.

Rockstar has lived off of GTA5 for the past decade and they still haven't even updated the PC version of the game to the current gen versions of the game for a reason. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Rockstar has lived off of GTA5 for the past decade and they still haven't even updated the PC version of the game to the current gen versions of the game for a reason. 

lmao it's not that deep dude.  They "updated" the console game to sell the game again on new consoles..

• Upvote 1
Just now, Remij said:

lmao it's not that deep dude.  They "updated" the console game to sell the game again on new consoles..

Yeah, it is that "deep" and why wouldn't they want to resell it to the PC market who have been begging for the update for 2 years now? Or even streamers who warn fans to avoid the PC version? 

1 hour ago, Remij said:

I never said it was.  It IS however in their interest, and their business to make deals with platform holders which are mutually beneficial.  Playstation and MS are incentivized to make deals with Rockstar so they can sell more units... that's just obvious.

And you're proving my point exactly.... Elden Ring didn't just magically become a game which sells just as much on PC as it does on Playstation... it's taken around a decade of consistent PC day 1 releases of their souls games to build up the fanbase on the PC platform.  Capcom now states PC is their primary platform.. and it didn't just happen right at the beginning... it's taken years and years of them releasing their games on PC and building up the audience.  Now obviously Rockstar already has a big audience on PC... but it would have a MUCH larger audience on PC if people could trust that every future game would be day 1 as well.  And that's my entire point.  These companies need to build up the fanbase and trust of consumers for the specific platform. 

This is why companies like Capcom and Sega and Fromsoft are becoming huge on PC, whereas companies like SquareEnix keep squandering their potential because they keep making exclusivity deals with Sony for short term profitability.  It's backfiring on them now.. and they need to build up their fanbases on other platforms (particularly PC and Nintendo) for long term growth.

Rockstar will get their eventually, as I said.  If Xbox dies out, I think the next GTA could be PS and PC day 1.. potentially Nintendo as well if their hardware is up to it.

I don't think they're *not there* as far as port quality. GTA5 and RDR2 are solid on PC and sold bigly.  The PC/Steam audience is ready for GTA6, it's not a question of building an audience.

I think Rockstar has a tradition for poor code quality (see RDR1) and that's why they focus on a fixed platform at launch, to eliminate the variability of PC. This is understandable, but like I said the audience has shifted. This is the time to fix their shit and it seems they're not doing it.

Just now, Mr. Impossible said:

Yeah, it is that "deep" and why wouldn't they want to resell it to the PC market who have been begging for the update for 2 years now? Or even streamers who warn fans to avoid the PC version? 

No it ain't.. they're simply reselling the game on a newer console.  Like I said, they do things first to sell and move console units because they have deals with PS and MS.  GTA is one of those franchises that moves units.  PC gamers also have hacked the shit out of the game... we already know Rockstar is pissed that PC modders have made a better version of GTAO than they'll ever be able to make.. so they're resentful bitches about it :tom: 

32 minutes ago, Remij said:

No it ain't.. they're simply reselling the game on a newer console.  Like I said, they do things first to sell and move console units because they have deals with PS and MS.  GTA is one of those franchises that moves units.  PC gamers also have hacked the shit out of the game... we already know Rockstar is pissed that PC modders have made a better version of GTAO than they'll ever be able to make.. so they're resentful bitches about it :tom: 

I think they care that PC modders made the game unplayable for gamers online. It's cute that you keep saying they are reselling to console owners as if they wouldn't milk the PC market as well if it were worth their time. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I think they care that PC modders made the game unplayable for gamers online. It's cute that you keep saying they are reselling to console owners as if they wouldn't milk the PC market as well if it were worth their time. 

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  There's no specific rhyme or reason why they do things sometimes and not other times.  Like.. why haven't they rereleased RDR2 with updated res and 60fps on PS5/Series X?

And modders didn't make the game unplayable.. hackers did because Rockstar's shitty hybrid P2P servers :shrug: 

On 2024-08-10 at 1:31 PM, Remij said:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  There's no specific rhyme or reason why they do things sometimes and not other times.  Like.. why haven't they rereleased RDR2 with updated res and 60fps on PS5/Series X?

And modders didn't make the game unplayable.. hackers did because Rockstar's shitty hybrid P2P servers :shrug: 

Because they don't make "enough money" of RDO. They don't even bother making dlc for RDO anymore. They left the main online story campaign unresolved. 

They probably won't launch online til '26, which might be when they get around to PC as R* owns the 5M platform now and it has big money making potential.